Picky Eaters!

Options
I'm a super picky eater I.E. not a big fan of most fruits and veggies. Luckily I like the taste of fruits (texture person) so I make fruit smoothies with spinach and Greek yogurt plain no fat in the AM. Anyone have any healthy meal and snack ideas for picky eaters? I'm basically a child when it comes to food): I try to eat 1500 a day.

Replies

• brandonharrison82
    Options
    I'm also a super picky eater. My wife accuses me of eating like a 4 year old. That's probably a big part of why I'm overweight, though. I tend to skip the salad when we're out to eat somewhere and go straight for the rolls and butter and my entre is normally fried chicken tenders and fries with loads of ketchup and bbq sauce. Delicious.

What we've done is to basically just Google up recipes for things we were already making for dinner and try to find something similar (or the same in some cases), but healthier. We've started buying whole wheat everything from bread to pasta to tortillas. I eat small salads out of veggies I can tolerate (greens, cucumbers, shredded carrots). I skip the morning bowl of Apple Jacks and opt for a chocolate smoothie made with Greek yogurt instead.

As an adult picky eater trying to eat better than I have in the past 33 years, I've Googled so many variations of "healthy foods for picky eaters". The results I find are mostly "How to hide healthy foods in your kids' meals" or "put the veggies on a stick, kids love eating things off a stick". If not pointed at picky five year olds, it's someone on a forum saying "suck it up and eat your veggies," and that's not really helpful at all.

Feel free to follow my food diary. I have my own struggles with macros and calories and I've only been regularly logging for a day now, but you might stumble on something you find interesting eventually. Also, again, think of things you normally eat for meals and snacks and try to find versions that are healthier. We were eating a lot of mashed potatoes (out of a box, not out of an actual potato) and we've been trying different mashed cauliflower recipes. It's not mashed potatoes, but it's not terrible. We also made pizza with a cauliflower crust and that wasn't bad either. And remember that it's about balance. We were short on time last weekend so we had a Domino's pizza for dinner and I still lost a little weight over the course of the week.
  • xosarahduh
    xosarahduh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm also a super picky eater. My wife accuses me of eating like a 4 year old. That's probably a big part of why I'm overweight, though. I tend to skip the salad when we're out to eat somewhere and go straight for the rolls and butter and my entre is normally fried chicken tenders and fries with loads of ketchup and bbq sauce. Delicious.

What we've done is to basically just Google up recipes for things we were already making for dinner and try to find something similar (or the same in some cases), but healthier. We've started buying whole wheat everything from bread to pasta to tortillas. I eat small salads out of veggies I can tolerate (greens, cucumbers, shredded carrots). I skip the morning bowl of Apple Jacks and opt for a chocolate smoothie made with Greek yogurt instead.

As an adult picky eater trying to eat better than I have in the past 33 years, I've Googled so many variations of "healthy foods for picky eaters". The results I find are mostly "How to hide healthy foods in your kids' meals" or "put the veggies on a stick, kids love eating things off a stick". If not pointed at picky five year olds, it's someone on a forum saying "suck it up and eat your veggies," and that's not really helpful at all.

Feel free to follow my food diary. I have my own struggles with macros and calories and I've only been regularly logging for a day now, but you might stumble on something you find interesting eventually. Also, again, think of things you normally eat for meals and snacks and try to find versions that are healthier. We were eating a lot of mashed potatoes (out of a box, not out of an actual potato) and we've been trying different mashed cauliflower recipes. It's not mashed potatoes, but it's not terrible. We also made pizza with a cauliflower crust and that wasn't bad either. And remember that it's about balance. We were short on time last weekend so we had a Domino's pizza for dinner and I still lost a little weight over the course of the week.
    What's your recipe for your breakfast smoothie?!
  • stephernie4
    stephernie4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is so me! I could live off of pizza and chicken nuggets. I'm pretty good about eating fruit, but really hate most veggies. I sneak in a handful of spinach in a smoothie most mornings, but frequently get to the end of the day and realize I've eaten no veggies (and sometimes no fruit). Eek!
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    For the picky eaters here: Are you finding it easy or difficult to eat to your calorie goals if you choose not to eat veggies/fruit?
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I hate most veges as well. I do like fruit but don't usually buy it because it goes bad so fast. I just started seeing a new doctor and learned that most of the veges that I do like are apparently the undesirables of the vegetable world. They are all "starchy"--peas, corn, carrots. I'm supposed to go back to see her at the end of the month & I have lost weight, but I haven't been following her eating plan at all. I just do not like any of the foods on her list. I just stick with my multi-vitamin & hope for the best. I just had blood-work done to check for vitamin deficiency (because I've had WLS) so I guess I'll see if the multi-vitamins are doing their job.
  • xosarahduh
    Options
    Honestly I can't eat as much if I don't throw in fruits and veggies cause most other foods have more than 40 cals!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    For the picky eaters here: Are you finding it easy or difficult to eat to your calorie goals if you choose not to eat veggies/fruit?

I have no problem meeting my calorie goals. I love meat, cheese, breads, & pasta. Fruits & veges really add very little in the way of calories. It's the nutrition in them that would make them so great if they didn't make me want to vomit.
  • xosarahduh
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    Yes!!! I hate most veges as well. I do like fruit but don't usually buy it because it goes bad so fast. I just started seeing a new doctor and learned that most of the veges that I do like are apparently the undesirables of the vegetable world. They are all "starchy"--peas, corn, carrots. I'm supposed to go back to see her at the end of the month & I have lost weight, but I haven't been following her eating plan at all. I just do not like any of the foods on her list. I just stick with my multi-vitamin & hope for the best. I just had blood-work done to check for vitamin deficiency (because I've had WLS) so I guess I'll see if the multi-vitamins are doing their job.

I've learned to buy most of my fruits frozen: strawberries, oranges, blueberries, etc.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    My pickiness mainly has to do with meat. Meat (and this includes beef, pork, chicken, turkey, seafood of all sorts, etc. etc.) tastes bad and has an unpleasant texture. However, I will tolerate and even like some if it is extremely lean, extremely well-cooked, rather dry, well spiced, and preferably mostly hidden.

For example, I'll do tinned chicken if I mix it up with rice and veggies and salt it well. A flavourful lentil soup or spicy Thai soup can also disguise chicken. And I'll do lean ground chicken or beef if it is spiced well and hidden in tacos. :)

As for veggies ... a suggestion: Have you tried buying one veggie and preparing it two or three different ways? If you don't like it, move on to the next veggie. If you do like it, keep it and then try the next veggie. The thing is, there are so many different kinds of veggies out there ... different flavours and textures, and so many different ways to eat them.

I don't like peppers (green, red, etc.) however, while I won't eat green peppers at all, I do find red ones somewhat milder and so I'll eat a little bit of them if they are in a salad or something. But peppers, to me, are vastly different from something delicious like cauliflower.

When it comes to spinach, I love it raw and I don't mind it cooked and mixed into something, even as a topping on a feta, tomato and spinach pizza ... but I'm not fond of cooked spinach just plain.

My husband can't stand peas ... but loves snowpeas. He is also not fond of raw carrots just as-is, but likes them shaved into a salad or steamed.

When it comes to fruit, I'll give grapefruit a miss ... but I love mangos. And I didn't discover that mangos are my favourite fruit until about a decade ago when I was in my late 30s and I tried them for the first time! Oh, and as for that grapefruit, if it is made into a beverage, that's OK. Just not keen on the fruit itself. :)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »

Can you still eat starchy veggies, but are supposed to eat non-starchy veggies as well? Absent any medical reason, I think the advice to not eat starchy veggies does people a disservice. For example, potatoes are very satiating.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/starchy-foods.aspx

eatwell%20plate%20377%20sized.jpg
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    No reason to be a child about food. Either you like the flavor of one food over the other. Log it and carry on.
  • brandonharrison82
    Options
    My chocolate smoothie recipe:

3/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (I like Chobani)
    2-3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1-2 Tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
    1 frozen banana
    3/4 cup milk (1% is what I buy normally, but unsweetened almond milk is good for this too)
    1 packet Stevia

It's one of my new favorite breakfasts or morning snacks. It's surprisingly delicious.
  • mplswhovian
    mplswhovian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not a big veggie eater either, but I've found some I love. Spaghetti squash is high on my list, so few calories and I can substitute it for noodles in a lot of dishes!
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I agree with picking a veggie and trying it different ways. Say this week you want to try green beans (I use this as an example because my local Sprouts has them on sale 2lbs/$3), look up some green bean recipes and try a few, with different cooking methods.

My personal favorite is blanching (boiling for a couple mins, til they are VERY green), then tossing them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Then sautee them in a little butter and garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

Also, roast some broccoli tossed with a little olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic and onion powder, and pepper, at 500 degrees (I roast at a high heat to carmelize the outside and keep the middle a little al dente) about 20 mins, turning halfway through. Delicious.

Also, many options in the frozen section, but can have high sodium, if that is something that you are watching.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My tip is to taste the veggies. If you do t absolutely detest them, make them in different ways. You will find one you like.

You know how corn can be made in so many different ways and you like some better than others? That's true for all the veggies. Different ways of preparing veggies makes them taste different!

Explore the world of herbs and spices. They make all the difference!

If you despise a veggie, nothing can make you like it. There is no way of preparing broccoli that would have me enjoying that particular veggie. But if you don't hate it...if you just are like, "It's not really good," then keep making it in different ways until you hit on one that you enjoy.

You might make some things you don't like, but you'll find some that you do like. There are many veggie cookbooks out there. "The New Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone" is a great one.

Roasting veggies is most people's favorite way of eating them. :)

Picky is a choice. You can choose to be less picky, if that's what you want to be. If you want to include more foods, you have to work at it a little!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Until you've tried most veggies in 3-5 different ways, it's hard for me to believe you don't like any of them. Certainly, poorly cooked veggies are gross. Canned, soggy veggies can go die in a fire. And you may never "crave" vegetables. That's ok. Sometimes you have to do things you don't like as an adult. I don't like gyno appointments or mammograms. I like death and cancer even less.

Do you like potatoes? If so, try roasting root vegetables like rutabaga, parsnips, carrots, turnips. Yes, they sound disgusting, they're probably not going to make you vomit as long as you like potatoes. Cube them in .75" cubes or approximate shape, toss them in olive oil, put as much garlic powder, salt and pepper as you want on them. Roast them in 15 minute increments until they smell like a restaurant and have some brown parts and a fork can enter them easily (but not so cooked that they get smooshy). -- Still don't like them? Top them with cheese and toast them some more. Do you like pizza without cheese? I bet not. Put some cheese on other things, they typically are more palatable.

Do you like spaghetti? Make spiralized vegetables from zucchini (or rutabaga or sweet potato), and add them to the last 3 minutes boiling the pasta. Top with your spaghetti sauce. You probably won't really notice them.

Have you tried raw crunchy veggies in dips? I don't personally like a lot of cooked vegetables for the most part. Many of them I like more raw. Dips I like are peanut butter, cheese whiz, cesar dressing, blue cheese dressing. Raw vegetables to try are slices of green/red pepper, celery, (baby) carrots, cauliflower, snap peas, cucumber, button mushrooms.

Basically until you have tried the above, you simply cannot claim you don't like vegetables. Yes, you aren't going to like all of these. But some of them will be tolerable. For now, eat the ones you find relatively tolerable. After a while, try some of them again. You might like them more.
  • xosarahduh
    Options
    Ok so my problem here isn't taste, but texture. Most of the textures literally make me gag. So it's more like hiding that texture so that I can consume them.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    xosarahduh wrote: »
    Ok so my problem here isn't taste, but texture. Most of the textures literally make me gag. So it's more like hiding that texture so that I can consume them.

Then that is all in the preparation. What texture is it that you object to? I know I hate mushy, mealy peas. So I just use fresh peas instead of frozen or canned.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    a) try things in different ways. Veggies can be eaten raw, baked, steamed, etc. How a food is prepared can impact the taste and texture. Also try different seasonings. Don't assume that because you didn't like xxx once before that you'll never like it.

b) if texture is your main issue, you may want to just work at it. I have some absolute no's (uncooked meat as in sushi, just can't wrap my mind around it) but have figured out that as an adult, sometimes its good to just do what I know I should. And then it gets easier over time. Like I'm not big on the texture of beans. So when I make chili, I use 1/2 the beans that the recipe calls for and just deal with it. Its getting better. :)

c) for cooked veggies that go well in a sauce, put them thru a blender of some sort and that will remove the chunkiness.
    I'm a super picky eater I.E. not a big fan of most fruits and veggies. Luckily I like the taste of fruits (texture person) so I make fruit smoothies with spinach and Greek yogurt plain no fat in the AM. Anyone have any healthy meal and snack ideas for picky eaters? I'm basically a child when it comes to food): I try to eat 1500 a day.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I understand. Please see my recommendation if it's a texture thing. Each of those preparations makes different textures.

Another suggestion, do you like things like tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches? Tomatoes aren't the only things that puree into a delicious soup.

One of my favorite ways to get veggies: carrot pudding. It's an indian restaurant thing.