Picky eater recipes

Options
xosarahduh
xosarahduh Posts: 24 Member
I'm such a picky eater! Healthy recipes that cater to this would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You may want to be more specific on what exactly you are picky about...?
  • xosarahduh
    Options
    You may want to be more specific on what exactly you are picky about...?

So I'm basically a 5 year old when it comes to food. Dislike most veggies and fruits (mostly texture). I drink fruit smoothies for breakfast so recipes for that would be nice. And anything that can hide veggies in it would also be nice.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The way to overcome picky eating is to challenge your taste buds one step at a time. You already like smoothies -- how about making an omelet by running the veg and egg in the blender or food processor before cooking? I often "hide" a bag of spinach in things that way. Veggies can be soft, hard, chewy, crunch, or any texture you want them to be. Find out how you like them.

For example, I love green beans to be bright green and still a bit squeaky. I can't stand mushy green beans cooked the southern way. I'm sure I could stand out in front of my house and yell, "How do you like your green beans" and find some of my neighbors like one and hate the other, some like both, and some hate both.

Don't be afraid to try things and feed some of them to the garbage disposal. How else will you find out if you like them? For example, most winter squashes taste somewhat like sweet potatoes. Try a bunch of different ones and see which ones you like. I'm a sucker for butternut squash but I don't like the texture of a delicata squash which you leave the skin on -- many people would say they taste the same.

Hide veggies from yourself. Mix your veggies in with everything else like a stir fry. Tonight we're having beans and rice but I'm sneaking in a mess of chopped and sauteed red pepper and celery. Adding minced veggies to chopped turkey results in a moist turkey burger. Make a vegetable soup but pulverize it with a blender to make a creamy soup.

And google is your friend. Let's say I have a veggie that needs using before it dies in the fridge. I just google the name of the veggie and 'recipe' or a list of ingredients and 'recipe.' For example, google 'sweet potato beets recipe' and you'd be amazed how many suggestions pop up.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    We mix vegetables into everything, but the three recipes that I keep on hand at all times (for 8 years now!) are

Cauliflower macaroni and cheese:
    Take one chopped head of cauliflower, steam in a small amount of water until tender. Puree cauliflower, add 4-6oz sharp cheese, and season to taste – I use adobo OR salt/pepper/mustard powder. Freeze in ice cube trays until frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave as many cubes as needed and mix with cooked pasta or a mixture of cooked broccoli and pasta. This can also be used as a cheese sauce for veggies.

Chicken/yellow squash nuggets:
    Shred 1-2 squash and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Mix with 1lb ground chicken, 1 egg, seasoning, form into “nuggets” and bread with your choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes on a lightly greased cooling rack on a cookie sheet. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or bake for a crisp exterior.

Turkey/zucchini meatballs:
    Shred 1-2 zucchini and squeeze most of the liquid out. Mix with 1lb ground turkey, 1 egg, seasoning, parmesan cheese, and choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or simmer in sauce.
  • Kirkerk
    Kirkerk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am extremely picky as well. This is going to be a hard journey for me!! I hope I can stick with it and get healthier.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    I'm picky too especially with fruits and veggies..I only have certain types that I like to eat. I have discovered a low calorie oatmeal pancake recipe and a biscuit recipe...if your interested in those. I found them on pintrest
  • xosarahduh
    Options
    I'm picky too especially with fruits and veggies..I only have certain types that I like to eat. I have discovered a low calorie oatmeal pancake recipe and a biscuit recipe...if your interested in those. I found them on pintrest

Yes please! I'm so picky I hate it.