Until You Train You Can't Maintain

Options
I have not achieved goal.
But I'm wondering, who of you went from 0 to 60 in weight loss (meaning got to their goal weight in a short period of time compared to the majority of MFP community ) and are at maintenance for at least 3 months.

I know I need to train myself to intake calories at a certain level so that i can achieve my goal weight....but i also know going at it like I was on the Biggest Loser is probably not good.

Are you willing to share your journey to Onderland....?

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I succeeded, been maintaining for 1 year and a half. Lost weight, saw significant gains in strength in almost every measurable exercise, lift.
    I pretty follow the exact guide listed above, you really can't go wrong with the sexy pants guide.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've maintained my weight loss for three years through mindful eating and daily exercise.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've seen this several places....maintenance is no different than dieting, you just have higher calorie target.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Of course this presumes that you made a food and exercise lifestyle change...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds and have maintained it almost 4 years. I learned a lot about which foods were calorie dense from logging. I started eating those in smaller portions. I monitor my steps my carefully. I very very very rarely use my log to stop myself from eating: I just use it as a check to make sure I'm not drifting off course.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    BikeTourer wrote: »
    I've seen this several places....maintenance is no different than dieting, you just have higher calorie target.

I agree. You have to watch your calories just the same when you're maintaining as you did when you were dieting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Define 'short time' though? I mean, I lost 73 of my 80 pounds in 11 months. I supposed it's fairly fast. But I never cut anything out, and my diet now is pretty much the same as my diet 2 years ago (when I reached those 140 pounds.. only lost 7 in the next 6 months and been maintaining since). My goal was 1700 when I was losing, now it's 1800, the only difference is that I can eat more a couple times a week if I want to and I don't have to worry if I eat too much at Holidays or special events. But most days it's exactly the same as when I was losing for me - I workout as much too, but it's more intense.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm looking for emotional support cause I'm hitting a hiccup in my weight loss pursuit (mostly cause I have lost some mobility for awhile). So, I want to flip the script in my thinking to see the bright side of not being able to do my favorite exercise - walking. Not enthused to do strength training. I know many have lost, albeit slowly, just by staying within calorie allowance. It just depresses me that instead of exercising for a few extra bites, I'm gonna have to give up some type of food to have my treats.....
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I lost just under 40 lbs and it took me bout 4.5 months. I've been maintaining nearly 6 months. Not a very long time but I've had absolutely no problem keeping it off. I just have remained diligent with my logging and have not slacked up one bit.
  • drylandfish
    drylandfish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 115 lbs in 9 months and have kept it off with only small variation for over 14 years. I think maintenance of a large loss presents special challenges. I know people who have lost quickly or slowly. It seems equally difficult. Cooking and eating for satiety, honest self-monitoring and regular exercise have been critical for both myself and my wife.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Lost 46 pounds in about 6 months, maintained for over three years. there is never a vacation from fitness in my humbled opinion.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of maintaining for me was never eating enough calories in order to not lose anymore. I went from dieting at 1200 to "maintaining" at 1300 but I kept losing. So I upped to 1500 and Ive been maintaining since August! Its great I have so many calories to eat!! >:3