Too Much Protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• kends79
    kends79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have an eating disorder, please seek help. You should not be trying to lose at 100lbs...

That is a horrible response to this thread.. Get a medical degree before diagnosing people please.. she is a tiny 5"1 person doesn't mean she is unhealthy what so ever and she eats 1200 calories a day..

I agree more water and real fiber if your not already the suppliment fiber just isn't the same as real food.

As long as you are eating 40 grams of Fat, 80 grams of protein which is 800 calories you have 400 calories minimum left to eat what makes you happy you can adjust everything to fit what works for your body
    1g of fat is 9 calorie, protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram,you should be aiming for a 40/30/30 split ,carbs /protein/ fat and a multi vit also some omega 3?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's better to measure protein and fat in grams, not percentages.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    kends79 wrote: »
    You have an eating disorder, please seek help. You should not be trying to lose at 100lbs...

That is a horrible response to this thread.. Get a medical degree before diagnosing people please.. she is a tiny 5"1 person doesn't mean she is unhealthy what so ever and she eats 1200 calories a day..

I agree more water and real fiber if your not already the suppliment fiber just isn't the same as real food.

As long as you are eating 40 grams of Fat, 80 grams of protein which is 800 calories you have 400 calories minimum left to eat what makes you happy you can adjust everything to fit what works for your body
    1g of fat is 9 calorie, protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram,you should be aiming for a 40/30/30 split ,carbs /protein/ fat and a multi vit also some omega 3?
    Why?
  • laurenwcw
    laurenwcw Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the advice and support and just trying to help instead of diagnosing me. LOL yes I think omega I can add and I am going to make sure I hit my split as close as I can. I think some more fat to move things along since I do sometimes come lower on that but higher on the protein daily. Water I am going to drink a lot more, which should help. I have lots of coffee which I know dehydrates so maybe that could be conflicting with my water intake. You guys are awesome and so helpful. really thank you all :)
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You do realize some people on this site are trying to gain/maintain weight, right? OP never said anything about trying to lose weight
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    eating too much protein can cause calcium depletion in women. Over short term periods it shouldn't hurt much but in the long run you could be creating habits that set you up for osteoporosis as your body pulls calcium from your bones to digest all that protein. Just make sure you are getting calcium every day. 1200 calories is probably not too low for an itty bitty women but focus on being healthy and having a balanced diet, whatever calorie level that puts you at should be your goal, since you don't have excess fat to lose.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    eating too much protein can cause calcium depletion in women. Over short term periods it shouldn't hurt much but in the long run you could be creating habits that set you up for osteoporosis as your body pulls calcium from your bones to digest all that protein. Just make sure you are getting calcium every day. 1200 calories is probably not too low for an itty bitty women but focus on being healthy and having a balanced diet, whatever calorie level that puts you at should be your goal, since you don't have excess fat to lose.

Do you have sources for that?

This study from 2008 seems to indicate exactly the opposite of what you are saying here.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1567S.full
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's better to measure protein and fat in grams, not percentages.

I understand why protein is best measured in grams per kilo/pound, but why fat? Overall calorie intake is most precisely measured by weighing the macronutrients and multiplying them by the appropriate number, but are you referring to a specific fat minimum or other reason for measuring fat per gram?