Trouble meeting minimum calories

Options
I have my calories set at 1500. I try to stay between a min of 1200 a max of 1500. Some days I find myself having trouble with meeting the minimum 1200 calories ever since I am making sure I get my 8 glasses of water a day. (always sipping throughout the day) because I don't feel hungry. Should I eat even though I don't feel hungry? :/

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you're set at 1500 you really should be eating as close to that as possible. Avocados, nuts and nut butters, dried fruit, olive oil, butter, all those things pack a calorie punch in small portion sizes.
  • CBrook04
    CBrook04 Posts: 107
    Options
    If you're set at 1500 you really should be eating as close to that as possible. Avocados, nuts and nut butters, dried fruit, olive oil, butter, all those things pack a calorie punch in small portion sizes.

I'm a picky eater so I'm not open to all options. Nuts are a great start though, I'll have to throw them in with my lunch.
  • trodney1104
    trodney1104 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you are a couple hundred calories below that's ok. Don't skip meals though. Eat a light salad, soup broth, fruit, raw veggies. Keep going w/ the water. You need it. Hope this helps.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a nutritionally balanced diet do not eat just to eat.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you are a couple hundred calories below that's ok. Don't skip meals though. Eat a light salad, soup broth, fruit, raw veggies. Keep going w/ the water. You need it. Hope this helps.

As long as you are getting enough nutrients, it doesn't matter when you eat. Some people here are doing very well on programs that integrate fasting.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    1.5 kilos of strawberries
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I'd take a multi-vitamin to fill in any gaps from the deficit. Also, have a tablespoon or two of PB if you're short calories, it'll give you lots of healthy fats and is very calorie-dense for when you're not hungry, but need the boost. :)

Good luck!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I appreciate hearing other peoples' advice. Some days I'm only 50 calories below my target, but today I just finished dinner at 860 of 1400. Multivitamins can help, but I'm way below my protein.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this same issue !! :( I eat pretty clean and have cut back on bread and carbs ( of that nature ) along with no processed junk food ( shelf life food) and I'm hardly ever meeting my minimum for the day !! I may just go spoon the peanut butter lol!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have been here over 800 days and I still can't grasp how people can't meet their calorie goal! My lowest days in the past 2 + years were probably still over 1,000 and it would have been when I had the flu! There was one day where I had zero calories that I know of because I was in the hospital having brain surgery and was on IV fluids. Definitely went over 24 hours without eating then!

That said, don't force yourself to eat if you are low occasionally! Don't make a habit of being so far under though. I always find that if I have a low-ish day I always end up being over the next. It all evens out. Look at the numbers over the course of the week and it probably evens out pretty well!
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Advice from my personal trainer is to DRINK your calories....and I dont mean a chocolate milk shake from Burger King..lol..she recommened making a smoothie with some milk/yogurt....or even a glass of chocolate milk is a decent way to intake some calories but without eating junk....

Something to consider when your low on calories :)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Another point to consider is that if you are working out, your target will be higher that your base target of 1500.

Look at what you are eating and eat full versions of things, not low fat / "diet" etc. Eat reasonable portions.

As already suggested, nuts, peanut butter, proteins - things that are calorie dense. Having some carbs is good - eg potato/vegies - (less sodium than bread etc).

Now and then I don't hit my target but I usually do, with the help of things like cake - I am not on a "diet" so eat normal foods but manage them. My target is 1300 at the moment.

Also depends how much you have to lose - if you have a lot of weight to lose it probably doesn't matter so much if you don't hit your target - but if you only have a little to lose then it is more important to stay close to target.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be snarky, but how did you end up with 70+ pounds to lose if you can't bring yourself to eat 1500 calories? Which I assume is a good deficit to lose with for you.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I'm not trying to be snarky, but how did you end up with 70+ pounds to lose if you can't bring yourself to eat 1500 calories? Which I assume is a good deficit to lose with for you.
    You beat me to it!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You beat me to it!!

ditto
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sweet. another thread where someone can't eat the equivalent of a quarter pounder with cheese, medium fries, and a medium coke over the course on an entire day.

give it your best shot OP. i'm sure you can find a way to get to 1500 calories if you really put your all into it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can catch up the following day. Sometimes when I workout I get hungry the following day but not the same day. Look at it as a week at a time instead of a day at a time. That might help.
  • Roseage
    Roseage Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey Folks, I've just started this and I'm having a hard time getting past 950 calories although I am allowed 1200. This is why: I'm learning to stay under my fat/sugar/carb ratios and when I stay under those ratios my caloric intake suffers! This is because I'm also learning how to balance my meals, and what the different food values are. For those of you who've been at it for a while or who have the knowledge/ability to successfully meet your caloric intake and stay within your other ratios: please share instead of snark. I would find that most supportive and I'm sure so would others. I only have 19 lbs post pregnancy to loose, but much knowledge to gain. Oh yeah. One more thing: some folks are allergic to nuts, can't eat yeast/ corn or their derivatives: this too makes balancing your diet a bigger challenge. My issue isn't weight loss, it is healthier eating/ balance and that is why I use this app. If you can't post support, why bother posting?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    You beat me to it!!

ditto

I know what it is. I think it's when they decide to eat all the healthy foods and it's hard to cram that much celery and carrots into oneself if you don't wanna allow yourself a cheeseburger.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Hey Folks, I've just started this and I'm having a hard time getting past 950 calories although I am allowed 1200. This is why: I'm learning to stay under my fat/sugar/carb ratios and when I stay under those ratios my caloric intake suffers! This is because I'm also learning how to balance my meals, and what the different food values are. For those of you who've been at it for a while or who have the knowledge/ability to successfully meet your caloric intake and stay within your other ratios: please share instead of snark. I would find that most supportive and I'm sure so would others. I only have 19 lbs post pregnancy to loose, but much knowledge to gain. Oh yeah. One more thing: some folks are allergic to nuts, can't eat yeast/ corn or their derivatives: this too makes balancing your diet a bigger challenge. My issue isn't weight loss, it is healthier eating/ balance and that is why I use this app. If you can't post support, why bother posting?

Oh now I see, allergic to nuts. Okay, that makes sense. I'm not allergic to nuts. Thanks Gawd. I don't know what I would do without nuts. Seriously.