Chocolate Apple Turnovers!

Options
aquarabbit
aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
I'm a big fan of pastries with brunches and as dessert, but puff pastry, butter, and sugar, it's so fattening. So I decided to come up with my own lighter and healthier version of my homemade chocolate apple turnovers. This will make 6-8 turnovers depending on how big you want to make your turnovers.

Ingredients:
6 sheets Phyllo dough
Melted Coconut Oil
2 cups chunky Applesauce (I use homemade, but store bought is fine. This also works great with strawberries, raspberries, and peaches)
1/4 cup Nutella (or any chocolate hazelnut spread, peanut butter, or you can leave out if you want)

Heat up the apple sauce slightly and whisk in the Nutella. Let it cool.

Layer the phyllo dough one sheet at a time, brushing each layer with coconut oil. Don't forget to cover the sheets you aren't using with a damp towel. Cut into 3 or 4 long strips. Add a tablespoon of the filling to the beginning of each strip. Fold phyllo dough over the filling in a triangle shape. Continue folding the triangle over itself until you reach the end of the strip. Put on a parchment lined or sprayed baking sheet. Continue with the other strips and then repeat the entire process with the remaining 3 sheets of phyllo. Brush with remaining coconut oil and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F depending on the size of the turnovers you made.

Let cool and dig in!

Replies

• xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Butterfly1956
    Options
    What is Phyllo dough?
  • aquarabbit
    Options
    What is Phyllo dough?

It's really thin sheets of dough. I mean REALLY thin. It's mainly used for Middle Eastern food. It's yummy. I like using it as an alternative to puff pastry since it's still really flaky and holds together well. They have it frozen right next to the puff pastry and pie crusts in the super market.
  • sypop
    sypop Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    how many calories in each?
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    What is Phyllo dough?

It's really thin sheets of dough. I mean REALLY thin. It's mainly used for Middle Eastern food. It's yummy. I like using it as an alternative to puff pastry since it's still really flaky and holds together well. They have it frozen right next to the puff pastry and pie crusts in the super market.

They looked at me like I was nuts when I asked where they keep the phyllo dough. :laugh:
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Thanks so much for the recipe. It sounds great! And anything with Nutella is worth a try in my book lol
  • foxys_mum
    foxys_mum Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sounds like filo pastry?
  • aquarabbit
    Options

147 if you make 8. I'd guess around 200 if you made 6.
  • janiesue101
    janiesue101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sypop
    sypop Posts: 102 Member
    Options

147 if you make 8. I'd guess around 200 if you made 6.

thank you they sound yummy
  • katrien_girl
    Options
    Bump