Period much lighter since hit goal weight!!

Options
Hi, I'm 29 and a year ago may I decided I needed to lose weight as I wanted to get healthier when I start ttc. I'm 5ft 1" and did weigh 172 pounds and now weigh 115 pounds and am now happy with my weight.
My periods have changed for the last 4/5 cycles and now I'll be starting IVF in January and now getting worried, my periods use to be 5 days and now it's about 2/3 days with a bit on my pad but I could only change once or twice the first day or two.... It's so much lighter than it use to be.

Have any of you ladies experienced this before?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fat cells produce and secrete oestrogen which can affect our cycles ( and also cause men to grow breast tissue). I havr experienced a changr in my cycle since losing body fat.

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes same here - an unexpected but welcome result! Good luck with the IVF x
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    me too.. I went from 152 with a heavy period of 6 days to 121 lbs and my periods 4 days at most and very light but I am not too worried about it.. i wish it'd just go away completely :/
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Yes same here - an unexpected but welcome result! Good luck with the IVF x
    Surely :P
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My period used to be AWFUL. Like having to wear two maxi pads at once and still leaking awful. Now I can do with a normal one, even at night, and I've leaked maybe once in a year.

Don't worry though, I've done IVF, they'll do a lot of testing on you to make sure everything is ok, and your cycle will be controlled by meds anyway.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    As a husband that has been through this FrancI27 thought is on target based on our experience. There are shots that will build the lining to the desired thickness, egg production, etc.

IVF can be stressful on several levels but is an awesome/only option for some. If possible do not give up after the first try. Third time was charm in our case. We found the clinic that we selected very professional and did a good job on being realist about the odds of success.

Best of success.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I had my tubes tied after my 3rd child. My periods went from 7 days down to 3, with 2 being almost nothing, and really irregular, skipping months, sometimes missing 5-6 months at a time.

After I met my current husband and decided he wanted kids, we went through IVF and there was no issue at all and it was success on the first try.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Same here! Im 5'1 and went from 148 lbs to 100 and I have crazy irregular periods! I can go months without getting one. and when i do, its supee heavy.

• ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say good luck with ivf. I've done it a few times so feel free to friend me :)
  • kandryski
    kandryski Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I went through something like that I went from 146lbs to 100 lbs and my period stop completely for 9 months.
  • Mallybear2020
    Mallybear2020 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 125.5 atm and my periods seem to last longer since losing weight. Odd, right? Maybe once I get to my goal weight, it'll calm down.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yep. My periods are lighter and less painful...but my pms symptoms as far as hunger and batsh&% craziness are worse at a lower body fat %. The only time I worried a little was when I skipped one when I was cutting to get as lean as I could (which is not even that lean by many standards).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yes, same here....although I thought it was cos I was getting older/nearing menopause ....
  • Francl27
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yep. My periods are lighter and less painful...but my pms symptoms as far as hunger and batsh&% craziness are worse at a lower body fat %. The only time I worried a little was when I skipped one when I was cutting to get as lean as I could (which is not even that lean by many standards).

This! PMS is awful and lasts 10 days for me. I pretty much spend the rest of the time making up for it... And my period are irregular now. I skip one every few months or my cycle is 3 weeks late or something. It's weird.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!! My periods act like they belong to a different person quite frankly. It took a good few months for them to change to much lighter, less awkward and less of a PITB. They even nearly disappeared at one point. I grilled my doc and he said it was all perfectly normal and to expect it to take some months to find a new normal. Took about a year for them to lighten, and about another year for them to start finding "normal".

Rationally, it makes perfect sense so I wasn't worried. Estrogen and derivative levels swimming around your body are heavily influenced by body fat. Not only do the ovaries secrete these hormones but also fat cells. And believe me, I lost A LOT of fat, so it makes sense that my estrogen levels would have gone down, which would influence my menstrual cycle.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm glad mine are lighter and less painful but I really wish there was something I could do about how irrational and depressed I get.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known that weight loss itself is what caused my changes (just learned right now). I thought all this time it was because I ate the wrong foods and screwed up my cycle. I was worried for a while about not being able to have kids.

Good luck with IVF! Your doctors should know best.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    6mths into weightloss I actually lost mine for 9months. Now that I'm been on maintainance it has come back and is very regular again. It took about 6mths to find it's regularity though.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'm glad mine are lighter and less painful but I really wish there was something I could do about how irrational and depressed I get.

Yeah and the hunger for me too. PMS is just awful now.

But I've talked to GYNs and doctors and they all say it's perfectly normal, so...
  • arditarose
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah and the hunger for me too. PMS is just awful now.

But I've talked to GYNs and doctors and they all say it's perfectly normal, so...

Yeah. The hunger is difficult for me. Especially after dead lifting AND getting my period. Last week I was so ravenous I jammed a hot pop tart in my mouth. I burned it so badly that 8 days later I'm still taking pain killers. The pop tart lead to a crazy binge and threw me all off. I know it's somewhat normal but geesh. My friend who is into eastern medicine used to give me herbs that felt like they worked in calming me down but who knows...maybe placebo effect and they taste nasty.