coconut milk questions?

KPaden1221
KPaden1221 Posts: 433
edited September 21 in Recipes
I have a recipe that calls for coconut milk.. can anyone tell me anything about coconut milk? is it good for you.. what? can i buy it in the regular grocery store? where at?

Ingredients

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced

1 can (14 oz) unsweetened coconut milk

1/2 cup frozen petite peas

2 tsp red curry paste, or 2 tsp curry powder and 1/8 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)

1/2 tsp salt

2 cups sliced cooked chicken

1 cup torn basil leaves

Directions
Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray. Sauté onion over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until golden.

Add bell pepper, cover and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion and pepper are almost tender.

Stir in coconut milk, peas, curry paste and salt; bring to a boil. Add chicken; simmer uncovered 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thickened and vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in basil.

Replies

• lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Sounds yum! Coconut milk is quite high in fat and saturated fat... and also in cals. I always substitute low fat evaporated milk. Sometimes they sell a coconut flavoured version (in Aust, yet to see it in the UK, no idea in US) or you could add some coconut essence but to be honest I don't think it tastes any different if you just use the milk on it's own.

:flowerforyou:
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-coconut-milk-i12117

One cup has 550 calories and 58g of fat.... eeeek!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    you can buy light coconut milk, not that high in calories...
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    this serves 6 people.. i wonder how bad it'd be over all for one serving of this recipe? hmm...
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    I buy light coconute milk. I love to stir fry some veg and meat/fish in a little green curry paste and add cocunut milk, or else,the same,but instead of green curry paste, first add some nigella and mustard seeds to a pan until they pop,then add tom yam paste, and veg,etc, then cocnut milk. Makes the yummiest stir fry/curry. :)
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Coconut milk is high in fat and calories, yes, but we use it all the time. It's a healthy fat with a lot of nutrients (can't recall exacty which ones at the moment). We have a little one allergic to dairy so we use it in baked goods, stir fry's, to make ice cream, etc... Great flavor, good fat. IMHO
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    I love the tom tom soup made from coconut milk and made a lighter version of it one time with the lite coconut milk. It gives a very distinct and favorable flavor.

I may have to make some soup one day this week. I love that stuff!
This discussion has been closed.