Replies

• crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    just squat past paralell :)
  • _G4BR13L_
    _G4BR13L_ Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Cannot stress enough adding weight to the bar. Also dead lift, dead lift, dead lift!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Try weighted squats, and/or lunges (or split squats), deadlifts and/or hill sprints.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Squats are more for legs, particularly quads.
    Booty results better achieved with weights.
    Try dead lifts and/or Good Mornings with weight behind your neck

If squats aren't hitting your glutes, then you aren't going low enough. Squats will absolutely hit your glutes, and will only give you less impact than a deadlift if you're not going low or are doing a front bar.

I said "more for". I did not rule out glutes in a squat. Always the trumping critics here. Thanks for reminding me why I stay away from the forums!

So someone disagrees or corrects you and you throw out a mean people card? Wow. I hope you are able to recognize and appreciate correct info and advice some day
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I agree with those telling OP to add weights.

Check out Stronglifts, NROLFW, Starting Strength, and Wendler. Pick one that suits and go for it :)
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Get the book called 'strong curves.' It's all about building a strong beautiful booty!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Try weighted squats, and/or lunges (or split squats), deadlifts and/or hill sprints.

I agree with this. Adding weight is a MUCH better idea than increasing your unweighted reps from 20 to 50.

Start out with just the bare Olympic Bar and slowly add weight over time
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I agree with those telling OP to add weights.

Check out Stronglifts, NROLFW, Starting Strength, and Wendler. Pick one that suits and go for it :)

Those are all great programs!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I agree, weighted squats & lunges will help. It's helped my tush. What has also helped are these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFykp4b7FFQ Guaranteed AWESOME booty ;)
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Hold a 5 or 10 lb weight in each hand and stand on a BOSU ball. I can do up to 125 squats standing on the floor, but my whole body starts to quiver on the BOSU! Most gyms have them or online for about $99 - very versatile strange little prop, and well worth investigating :tongue:

i LOVE my bosu ball! i sometimes do weighted squats off mine as well. It is way more challenging than standing on a flat immobile surface, that's for sure. my balance has really improved & so have my buns :)
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Not sure why all the fascination with squats.........I'd highly recommend lunges for toning and shaping. If just starting, you may want to begin with as little as 5 pounds
    I think because lots of people don't lunge correctly and use their quads predominantly. To me it's easier to trigger and know how to trigger your posterior chain in a back squat. That said...I agree that weighted lunges are also a good option.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The reason why I rarely recommend lunges: BECAUSE LUNGES SUCK BUTT TO DO
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Use weight! Squats, lunges, glute bridges/hip thrusts(use a barbell), step ups, hill sprints, etc.
  • ghunt210
    ghunt210 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a couple of ideas for you!

If you are looking to just doing things at home...great for commercials :)

-20 squats
    -20 inplace lunges
    -15 jump squats
    -15 jump lunges

If you have never done jump lunges dont be alarmed about how awkward it may be, you will get used to it.

Depending on your fitness level add/subract some of course!!

If you go to the gym use the stair master!

Also grab some dumbells or a plate...if you are able to take them outside do say...do 20-25 walking lunges holding weight above your head. then do 20-25 squats holding weight at your chest. Do 4-5 times to equal 100.

Another thing is looking into cross fit. I started about 2 months ago and I have noticed the most changes! I run quite a bit and do cross fit but boy does my butt look good!! and my legs are toning up a lot.

Good Luck!!
  • Lisa5718
    Lisa5718 Posts: 2
    Options
    I found this "squat challenge" on Pinterest and have been doing it with a friend. Major shock to my body but my legs and behind feel so much stronger and has helped my running. Might consider it. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Lis5718/IMG_2501.png
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Instead of doing more reps, squat with weight. That's what will build your booty quickest. I squat ~150 pounds.

*This*
  • SweetCrumb
    SweetCrumb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you are going low, and using your HIPS to push forward and squeezing your glutes hard at the lockout, then you're doing it right.

Omg I hate the squeeze, makes my butt go numb but I guess that's a good thing!

I know alot of people are saying with weights and if you can do. But if you want to do body weight squats I was doing this program and my butt and legs were noticeably more toned by the third week. My boyfriends best friend commented on my legs as well.
    200 Squats challenge
    http://www.twohundredsquats.com/

And like kelly said, donkey kicks are great. I used to do this pilates video and afterwards you actually feel like your glute has lifted. It was actually my fav work out vid, I think I might start doing it again, it has the most strangely satisfying burn. Must be the constant stretching.
    Blogilates Bubble butt
    url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=faQ9lkjiRaM
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Depends
    1. You are not doing enough aim for around 4 sets of 12 reps
    2 You need to add weight depending on how much you can lift without stopping good form! Example mine 35KG :( Working on that!!!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Squats are more for legs, particularly quads.
    Booty results better achieved with weights.
    Try dead lifts and/or Good Mornings with weight behind your neck

If your squats aren't hitting your glutes then your form is incorrect and you aren't going deep enough. The hip crease should fall just below the knee for proper engagement of the glutes. Then when you push out of the squat you should be leading with the glutes then pushing up with the legs while always keeping your weight back on your heels. Also be sure to open up the hips (lock then forward) when coming out of the squat. Same when dropping into the squat, you should push out the butt (like sitting down) then sink into the squat with the legs. ALWAYS keep your core tight, chest up, head up, elbows raised back as far as possible to prevent the spine from bowing.

OP if you are new to lifting always start with a PVC bar and practice proper form before going under any weight (even and empty OLY bar). The PVC and air squats are great practice. Form is everything with lifting and an incorrect squat form will wreck you in ways you don't want to know about.

But in answer to your question... you want that high, tight, firm round a**? Gotta drop it low with weighted squats baby. Also Deadlifts and Romanian Deadlifts (watch your knees and lower back). Weighted lunges as well, if you have good balance.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    finish up with some Bridges.. and squeeeeeeze that as s tight..