Protein bars

Options
What is your favorite protein bars ( I have tried Quest and Luna bars ) not a gan of the new Quest bars like the old ones and Luna bars don't fill me up as much ..Also do you eat them as a snack or a meal replacement (lunch)?

Replies

• sweetiepie781
    sweetiepie781 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Fan*
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've been making my own lately. Cheaper, easy, and I know exactly what is in them.
  • Darklords
    Darklords Posts: 3,175 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I've been making my own lately. Cheaper, easy, and I know exactly what is in them.

would love to know what you put in them I never find anything I like
  • raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    pure protein. they have a really good dark chocolate & coconut
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like a Canadian product, which is lower in calories than most of the bars. http://simplyprotein.ca/.

I've tried duplicating their bars with a home-made version but I'm not as satisfied with mine. You could try it. Use a wheat puff recipe and add half a scoop of chocolate protein powder to the syrup before pouring over the cereal. If you prefer something other than wheat for your carb you can try puffed rice or puffed millet.

Hubby and I like the Pure Protein bar. I use it as a snack. I cut it in half to reduce the calorie hit.
    61fM0SE9WyL.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Darklords wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

would love to know what you put in them I never find anything I like

That's the deal. Sometimes they aren't very good. Sometimes they are :) As long as they are edible.

The base usually is 3 cups of oats and 3-5 scoops of protein powder. They usually have mashed bananas or peanut butter, or both depending on what I am going for.

Latest ones that are pretty good are 3 cups of oats, 6 servings of pb, 4 scoops of chocolate whey, 1.5 cups of Fairlife chocolate milk, and some raisins. They are pretty tasty. Put them in the oven for 15 minutes at 275 and then cut them up into however many servings you calculate. These are currently 210 calories, 16grams of protein, 19 grams of carbs, and 4 grams of fat or something like that. I think that recipe was 16 servings.
  • CFrancine88
    CFrancine88 Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I like nugo slim and detour smart. The only ones I'll eat. Not filled with "junk"

What's your goal with the bars BTW?? Any diet restrictions?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My husband also likes the Pure Protein pictured above. The Robert Irvine bars are also really good, and Supreme Protein, but they're much higher in calories.
  • melsetsy
    melsetsy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Fit Crunch bars by Chef Robert Irvine!!! (They're on sale on bodybuilding.com right now) I just discovered them last week and they are by far the best tasting bars I've tried. I don't like Quest (they have a gritty texture and they leave a nasty aftertaste for me) and Luna bars are actually one of the top 5 worst bars nutrition wise. Nutrition facts for the 46g size (peanut butter) Fit Crunch bars: 190 calories, 8g fat, 14g carbs, 16g protein, and only 3g of sugar. Compare that to a 48g (blueberry bliss) Luna bar: 180 calories, 5g fat, 28g carbs, only 8g protein, and 13g of sugar! Yes, less calories and fat, but the carbs, sugar and protein are what I look at the most.

I read an interesting article on Skinnymom.com about the best and worst bars readily available in stores and Luna made the top 5 at #1 here's a quote from the article: "While this bar has 8 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber, its sugar content outweighs them both at 13 grams. Its main ingredient is ultra-processed “soy rice chips” which Well+Good notes is a GMO soy that is likely filled with pesticides. Their expert Ariane Hundt, MS, says that the problem here lies in the fact that “they’re just using really cheap ingredients.” They may be made for women and they might taste yummy, but they aren’t go-to snacks for weight loss."

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    LOVE Quest bars. Combat Crunch and B-Up are hit or miss. Robert Irvine's Fit Elite was disappointing, but I'll have to try the Fit Crunch. I heard about Mission1's bars so I'll have to try those soon also.
  • cindylooi
    cindylooi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the Clif bars not sure if they 100% healthy though but seems like a good alternative for snacks. Any thoughts on this nutrition wise ?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    IME, all protein bars (20+g protein, little to zero fat and carbs) are gross.

I like clif builder mint, but hesitate to call it a protein bar. I've had a couple of the new gatorade bars that would good, and one of 2 of the probar flavors are pretty decent, too.
  • melsetsy
    melsetsy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    cindylooi wrote: »
    I have been eating the Clif bars not sure if they 100% healthy though but seems like a good alternative for snacks. Any thoughts on this nutrition wise ?

I'm not sure what your daily caloric and macro needs are but they are awfully high in calories, carbs and sugar; at around 250 calories per bar, they also contain 22 grams of sugar and over 43 grams of carbs and only about 10 grams of protein depending on the bar. It's an ok snack if you're super active, but if you're eating them to try to lose weight...I'd look for something else.
  • sweetiepie781
    sweetiepie781 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like nugo slim and detour smart. The only ones I'll eat. Not filled with "junk"

What's your goal with the bars BTW?? Any diet restrictions? [/quote

Don't have any diet restrictions if I am on the go and can't grab lunch I will once in a while do a protein bar and maybe a fruit with it just wondering how and when everyone else eats them
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'll carry a pre-made protein shake or a protein bar when I'm on the road or at an event where good food choices might not be available.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I like a wide variety of protein bars tbh. But, Quest, Power Crunch and ThinkThin are the only protein bars that don't give me horrible gas. I'm not really a fan of ThinkThin protein bars as far as taste is concerned. They taste decently, but they're not delicious by any means. If my budget is low and I'm on the road, I'll grab some ThinkThin bars before just about any of the other protein bars I mentioned. They have a good amount of protein and, like I mentioned, don't upset my stomach.

I also typically eat protein bars as a meal replacement. I don't usually keep protein bars on hand unless I'm traveling, which can make protein powder very inconvenient.

ETA: I do have the Power Crunch bars as a snack from time to time. They're tasty and pretty affordable. I like them because they're pretty much chocolate covered wafers. They don't offer a huge amount of protein, though. So they likely won't be very filling for too long. I typically eat an hour or so after having one.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've tried almost every protein bar and Quest bars are the only ones that I like. Although, I don't eat them everyday like I used to.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I like a Canadian product, which is lower in calories than most of the bars. http://simplyprotein.ca/.

I love simply protein! I also am a fan of the old recipe cookies and cream and cookie dough Quest bars. I have heard good things about combat crunch bars, but they are $4 each here and I don't want to risk getting addicted to them, so I'm just not going to try them.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love Perfect Bars (I find in the refrigerated deli section at Costco). Really nutrient dense ingredients, not a lot of fillers and just taste good. I use as a meal replacement when I'm stuck in meetings or in the car.