Diet Tricks/Tips

Options
I have seen a lot of posts lately about low carb/sugar and/or people asking for tips and tricks. In my opinion, all that really matters (UNLESS YOU HAVE A MEDICAL ISSUE) is that you stay within your calories. You can eat 1200 calories of McDonalds or 1200 calories of Vegetables, granted you'll probably be starving and feel like garbage eating the 1200 calories of McDonalds; however, as long as you're reaching your goal on a daily basis that is all the counts. This is of course caveated by you're going to feel fuller longer eating fiber and protein; and you're probably going to have more energy if you don't go low carb especially with high cardio exercise.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't know if 1,200 calories of vegetables would make me feel fuller and better than 1,200 calories of McDonald's. Depending on what you order, the McDonald's is going to include more protein and fat, which lots of people find more filling than straight vegetables. And, depending on what vegetables you eat and how much fiber you're using to getting, 1,200 calories of vegetables might make you feel pretty rough.

I realize your example is meant to show two extremes, but neither extreme sounds ideal to me. I eat lots of vegetables, but I need more than that to feel great.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight loss. Yes.

But nobody eats "all McDonalds" or "all vegetables" so that argument is rather meaningless. Plus, I'd think it would be pretty easy to eat 1200 calories at McDonalds and not feel like garbage. I don't know, just a guess.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    my examples were to show CICO, maybe not the best but that was the point of the post.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    my examples were to show CICO, maybe not the best but that was the point of the post.

I get it. And, again, yes to CICO. :)

• wendypark811
    wendypark811 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A gym instructor showed me this app and then put on 1200 cals with 40% carbs, 30% protein and fat. Amazing how some used quickly while others hard.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Sugars, granulated, 1.5 cup....... 1,161 calories
    i have often wondered could i eat this all throughout a day, just to say i've done it?

That is a good way to develop multiple nutritional deficiencies.
    I disagree with the OP that calories are the only thing that matters.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Sugars, granulated, 1.5 cup....... 1,161 calories
    i have often wondered could i eat this all throughout a day, just to say i've done it?

That is a good way to develop multiple nutritional deficiencies.
    I disagree with the OP that calories are the only thing that matters.

"for weight loss". Putting health and nutrition aside, the basic fact is that to lose weight (not stay healthy, not hit nutritional targets, just lose weight) calories ARE all that matters. But that shouldn't exist in a vacuum, and you'd be an idiot to ignore the nutrition and health side of thing.

Interestingly, someone who ate 1200 cals of McDonalds a day would be hitting more macro targets than someone who ate 1200 cals of veg a day. Just because they're good for you vertainly doesn't mean they hit your targets on their own.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt someone would develop "multiple nutritional deficiencies" from a single day of stupidity. Heck, most of us could survive a day of fasting.

The "all or nothing" diet that scares me the most is an all-fiber day. That could seriously bung me up.