Pescatarian and need more protein

Options
IHi I'm so confused with the whole Macro's stuff. I find it hard to achieve my protein and often go over with the carbs. I don't regularly eat bread/pasta or rice and get most of my carbs from fruit and veg. For my protein I only have salmon twice per week and eat eggs regularly. Somedays I will have almonds, pecans or walnuts but not a lot. What other foods low carb, low fat and high protein vegetarian foods can I eat. I don't really want to eat too much fish as I will get bored of it and not stick with it. TIA :)

Replies

• jb754
    jb754 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas, lentils, beans
    Quinoa
    Dairy if you eat dairy - cheese, milk, yogurt (esp. Greek yogurt)
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try the legumes as mentioned above. Be aware that they also come packed with fiber and carbs.
    Greek yogurt is a dairy higher in protein.
    Tofu in all it's forms.
    Try and include a little protein in every meal and you will find it easier to hit your targets.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein: it tastes like delicious sand, but 3 Tbsps has 15 g protein and 8 g fiber.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Dairy
    Shrimp
    Crab
    Egg whites (to bulk up eggs with less calories)
    Beans - although higher in carbs
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm I guess a pescatarian as well. I hit protein goals daily with : fish (tuna pouches are great), greek yogurt, string cheese, vegetarian meats, beans, lentils, hummus, protein bars, tofu, almond milk, cottage cheese
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian who usually doesn't hit protein goals. But I keep trying. If I get in 60g or more, I consider it a good day. I feel good & I work out 4 to 5 times a week with some strength training, so I'm not overly worried.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Just a quick word that almond milk, even though it is a good source of calcium, is a poor source for protein. Dairy milk is better for that.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Seitan. This label is from Westsoy Seitan strips. Obviously not good if gluten intolerant.

aob46dqutr4j.jpg
  • claregib
    claregib Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't eat hardly any dairy or legumes/lentils# pulses. I sometimes have tofu and drink a lot of almond milk, both shop bought and homemade also a few times a week have almond, pecans or walnuts. . I have recently started adding hulled hemp seeds to salads and soya yoghurt. I do like nut butters but can't control my urge to eat the whole jar therefor don't buy it. In regards to the macros how do I figure out how many grams/percentage I should be aiming for.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @claregib you could just go with the MFP default. If you are a little under I am sure it would be no harm.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I keep sardines, salmon, anchovies, kippered herring, mackerel in my office and plop it on a salad. Often. And I often add chickpeas, black soybeans, black beans to my salad as well.
  • claregib
    claregib Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think I need to make more of an effort in adding things like chickpeas and soya beans at lunch and also swap my snacks from fruit to protein. I'm not a great fan of lentils/legumes but do like tofu so I have no excuses. My macros at the moment are: 40% -91g of carbs, 30% -52g protein, 30% -52g of fat.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I'm also a pescaterian so feel free to add me for ideas :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    claregib wrote: »
    IHi I'm so confused with the whole Macro's stuff. I find it hard to achieve my protein and often go over with the carbs. I don't regularly eat bread/pasta or rice and get most of my carbs from fruit and veg. For my protein I only have salmon twice per week and eat eggs regularly. Somedays I will have almonds, pecans or walnuts but not a lot. What other foods low carb, low fat and high protein vegetarian foods can I eat. I don't really want to eat too much fish as I will get bored of it and not stick with it. TIA :)

how about a greater variety of fish than just salmon...i eat a lot of fish...cod, salmon, shrimp, mahi, tuna, halibut, sea bass...there's all kinds of awesome fish to be had and numerous ways to prepare it.

beyond that...dairy, soy, nuts, seeds, etc. you could also supplement with any number of protein supplements.

legumes and lentils and chickpeas, etc are also decent sources of protein, but better sources of carbohydrates. It can be pretty tough sledding trying to do vegetarian and be low carb...plant based diets, even ones that include fish tend to be higher carbohydrate by nature.