Strength

Why doesn't my strength show my calorie loss in my diary?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Log it as a cardio exercise. Search "strength training" in order to find the entry.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2015
    You mean "strength training" when logging exercise? Because, its impossible to estimate what an individual will burn during strength work, unlike cardio. (And cardio burns are estimates in themselves anyway.)

Fold your strength training into your TDEE calculation and eat at surplus or deficit accordingly.
  • kcbaby28
    kcbaby28 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you!
    edited November 2015
    jemhh wrote: »
    Log it as a cardio exercise. Search "strength training" in order to find the entry.
    I used to do this, but I figured what's the point if all I am doing is subtracting a burn of 1 calorie - unless I want my friends to know I worked out today. Lately, I just type what I did into the exercise log section and paste that info on my wall.

e9s7ffvmr18o.png
  • jemhh
    I used to do this, but I figured what's the point if all I am doing is subtracting a burn of 1 calorie - unless I want my friends to know I worked out today. Lately, I just type what I did into the exercise log section and paste that info on my wall.

e9s7ffvmr18o.png

Yes, if you're using the TDEE method for calories you're right--no point in logging any exercise in MFP, really.

But if you're using the MFP method, I'd say log it and eat it, especially if you're a woman. Why if you're a woman? Because so many women on MFP set themselves up with pitifully low calorie goals and then start exercising like maniacs, don't eat to fuel the exercise, and wonder why they burn out within a few weeks.
  • tianabarfly
    tianabarfly Posts: 17 Member
    Can I ask what TDEE means?
    edited November 2015
    But if you're using the MFP method, I'd say log it and eat it, especially if you're a woman. Why if you're a woman? Because so many women on MFP set themselves up with pitifully low calorie goals and then start exercising like maniacs, don't eat to fuel the exercise, and wonder why they burn out within a few weeks.
    Argh. That's right, the "MFP 1200-Calorie-One-Size-Fits-All-Default Setting™" It's been so long since I originally set-up my goals that I often forget this. One I first downloaded the app and started playing with it I laughed at the 1200 setting and figured how to double the calories without determining what my actually TDEE was.
  • jemhh
    Can I ask what TDEE means?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is the total number of calories you burn each day. It includes the calories that keep you alive on a base level (BMR), calories used during non-exercise activity (NEAT), calories used while digesting food (TEF), and your exercise calories. When somebody says "TDEE method" in regards to weight loss, they generally mean subtracting a certain number or percent from TDEE and eating at that calorie level in order to lose weight. For example, TDEE-20% would mean taking your TDEE and eating 20% less than it.
  • tianabarfly
    tianabarfly Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you :)
  • Can I ask what TDEE means?
    Total Daily Energy Expendiature (TDEE)

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

BMR+TDEE=Total calories.

+/- 250 to 500 calories per day for 1/2 to 1 Full pound gain/loss per week.