How to not gain the "Holiday 15"

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The key to not gaining at the holidays? Not using the holidays as an excuse to over eat.

I have a rule at work - if I didn't bring the food in, I don't eat it. I don't need candy, cookies, cakes and pies.

NO ONE other than myself is in charge of what goes in my body. If I don't want it, I say no. Even if I do want it, I say NO.

I find it sad. I can't imagine saying no to something special I never get the rest of the year just because 'I don't want to use it as an excuse to overeat'.

But you only had 18 pounds to lose so I guess you don't have the love of food that some of us do, so it's probably easier for you to think this way. That must be nice.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The key to not gaining at the holidays? Not using the holidays as an excuse to over eat.

I have a rule at work - if I didn't bring the food in, I don't eat it. I don't need candy, cookies, cakes and pies.

NO ONE other than myself is in charge of what goes in my body. If I don't want it, I say no. Even if I do want it, I say NO.

I find it sad. I can't imagine saying no to something special I never get the rest of the year just because 'I don't want to use it as an excuse to overeat'.

But you only had 18 pounds to lose so I guess you don't have the love of food that some of us do, so it's probably easier for you to think this way. That must be nice.

I don't think not using the holidays as an excuse to overeat necessarily means denying yourself seasonal treats. I'd say the same thing, but I still enjoy myself. For example, I'd still have a mince pie, I just wouldn't have six, eat one when not hungry, and I'd pick a homemade one my friend made over a stale multipack job from the staff room.

Xmas Eve - Boxing Day is a pig-out, the rest of December is business as usual.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

That's an excuse. Don't lay that off on other people. No matter what size anyone is, we all love food and have to make choices about what to eat and not to eat to fit into our calorie goals. And no one is saying you have to saying no to anything, you have just have to make choices that make that 'something special' fit into your calorie goals for the day. Every day. That's how to enjoy the holidays without gaining the weight.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

No one said "say no to something special". This poster said don't use the holidays as an excuse to OVER EAT. And honestly, the definition of over eating varies from person to person.

And I find it incredibly rude to point out that this person only had 18 lbs to lose. So what? That doesn't mean that losing that weight wasn't difficult or shouldn't be recognized.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have a few days in December where I don't log but don't necessarily go CRAZY. For instance we have a family Christmas party every year and there are SO many goodies and sweets and I just can't help myself but I will skimp out on my breakfast or eat something very light and save most calories for then. I typically end up filling up pretty quickly (eyes are always bigger then your stomach) and don't end up eating for the rest of the evening! Also on Christmas eve and Christmas I don't log. I just want to enjoy the days and not worry. I of course dont go crazy either (well maybe a little). I think its important to just relax and let yourself have those couple days to enjoy yourself instead of trying to keep track.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Nope, not sad. Responsible and adult. If I want that goody whatever-it-is, I have it! I just don't have 10 of them and I work it into my allotment for the day. On Christmas Day I set my goal to maintenance and enjoy. I still log, and if I go over? No biggie, it's just a day. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    lol - it's just another day. The only difference it will actually be easy to get all my calories in during the holidays. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    6pzsia9a5170.jpg
    Hornsby wrote: »
    lol - it's just another day. The only difference it will actually be easy to get all my calories in during the holidays. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

I find it hilarious that you think overweight people 'love food' more than people with less to lose. I'm a foodie, I love food and have never been overweight. The same goes for many famous chefs and restaurant critics. Being greedy and not knowing when to stop is not the same as 'loving food'. That's a ridiculous excuse. I guess if someone blows all their money on hookers it's not their fault because they 'love sex'more than the rest of us? Jeez
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Keeping my goals in mind helps me to enjoy all the goodies responsibly. I pick and choose my splurges carefully, they have to be worth it!
    I aim for maintenance calories the week of Thanksgiving, and the two weeks around Christmas/New Year's.
    I think the fact that I tend to eat treats every day makes me less likely to "eat all the calories" on special days - it's not like this is the last slice of pie I'm ever going to eat. Even aiming for maintenance, I might go over on 1 or 2 days over the season (usually in beverage form :)), but I don't sweat it, 1 or 2 days can't derail me.

I think it's really important to figure out how to enjoy yummy food without drastically over-indulging or allowing yourself to feel guilty and have that snowball into a long period of back-sliding.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

I'm sorry. But you don't know my history. My profile says I've lost 18lbs, but in 2012 I lost 50lbs. I lost control and gained some back, so I I came back, reset my page and lost it again. I LOVE food. I think about it all the time, still after losing 50, regaining 20, then losing 18. From that "losing" control, I learned something. Food isn't everything. I'd much rather turn down a piece of pie at a holiday than my pants not fit right. That's me. The OP asked how I'd get through the holidays. I get through them by thinking they aren't a reason to overeat. I didn't say I won't have one, but I have a habit of having one, then another, then not giving a crap and eating 10 more. My defition of overeating is eating more than you should. And the holiday's are not an excuse to over do it. They come around 1 time a year, every year. My birthday is in 2 weeks. It happens the same time EVERY year. But that doesn't mean I'm SUPPOSED to eat cake. No one is going to care if I do or not. And I probably will, but I'll make room for it.

Don't cast stones when you don't know someone's background.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I find it hilarious that you think overweight people 'love food' more than people with less to lose. I'm a foodie, I love food and have never been overweight. The same goes for many famous chefs and restaurant critics. Being greedy and not knowing when to stop is not the same as 'loving food'. That's a ridiculous excuse. I guess if someone blows all their money on hookers it's not their fault because they 'love sex'more than the rest of us? Jeez

Wow that's probably the worst comparison I've ever seen... As I said though, it must be nice to be able to be satisfied on a small amount of food. It's not always the case for all of us.

But anyway, I still think it's sad to say no to something because you've reached your calorie goal (which technically would be overeating), if it's something you only get once a year. Sorry, but that's what it is. I can't imagine ever saying no to something I love and won't have again for a year, when I could just eat 50 less calories the next few days to make up for it. I didn't mean necessarily go over by 1000 calories (which I've done for Holidays, and without guilt, couldn't care less if you call that being greedy or not knowing when to stop). But technically, even going over by 200 calories is 'overeating'.

If it's really such a huge deal for you to go over your calories for the Holidays that you wouldn't eat a treat that you think you love, then nope, I don't think you love food as much as I do, and sorry if it offends you but that's what it is...
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Look u just have to make a plan and stick with it , and if that plan involves eating the 52,500 extra cals is it? Go for it but for god sake OWN IT LIKE A BOSS! No guilty , NO I hate my self/ feel so missery post -___- , and if u choose to stick the best possible to your calorie goal and only eat extra calories for the 3-4 holidays do the same, own it.

Ask yourself what do I want , and go for it.

Plus lets be honest u dont gain 15 lbs at once, u got 4-6 weeks to rehearse , weight yourself and detour in case u Dont like the numbers u see.

Good luck!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Say you eat an extra 4000 calories

Go do some exercise

Get a few 90 minute cardio sessions in

It is just fuel. Work it off and don't get a complex over it. The whole holiday weight gain thing is silly

Just work it off.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

Wow that's probably the worst comparison I've ever seen... As I said though, it must be nice to be able to be satisfied on a small amount of food. It's not always the case for all of us.

But anyway, I still think it's sad to say no to something because you've reached your calorie goal (which technically would be overeating), if it's something you only get once a year. Sorry, but that's what it is. I can't imagine ever saying no to something I love and won't have again for a year, when I could just eat 50 less calories the next few days to make up for it. I didn't mean necessarily go over by 1000 calories (which I've done for Holidays, and without guilt, couldn't care less if you call that being greedy or not knowing when to stop). But technically, even going over by 200 calories is 'overeating'.

If it's really such a huge deal for you to go over your calories for the Holidays that you wouldn't eat a treat that you think you love, then nope, I don't think you love food as much as I do, and sorry if it offends you but that's what it is...

You keep saying "giving up things we have 1x a year, but WE ARE ADULTS. We can make holiday food whenever we want. If I want stuffing in July, I'll make it. If I want pumpkin pie in April, I'll make that too. Last Christmas my mom brought chocolate covered macaroons. I love a macaroon, but I can love them all year long. I had a goal and it wasn't to eat all the macaroons. And I also know that if I ate one of those tasty buggers, I'd eat the whole tray.

Is it so bad that I love my size 6 pants more than I love a cookie that will put me over my calorie limit? I'm gonna go with no. But you can think otherwise...it's a free world.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Not sure why you addressed this to me (rather than the many others who laughed at your nonsensical statement) but I never mentioned 'going over' during the Holidays . I don't actually count calories and eat whatever I like ( I am just here to track my protein due to pregnancy/breast feeding) so your whole attitude to food makes no sense to me and seems really screwed up. I don't think of food As a Commodity or a 'treat'. It's a wonderful part of life. I have been lucky enough to eat in some of the best restaurants in the world. That doesn't mean if you take me to Applebee's that I want to eat everything on the menu. 'Loving food' is not an excuse for stuffing your face ( and I couldn't stuff my face with amazing food because I couldn't afford it). The analogy with sex still stands. You can say you 'love sex' because you sleep with everything with a pulse. Or you can say you 'love sex' when it means something. So stop judging other people for not 'loving food' as much as you do.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Using your reasoning is why I have to eat at a deficit now. I don't trust myself yet to overeat with the intention of eating less the next day. Not sure I ever will trust myself on that. Would rather save the calories up front. I don't want to to fall back into the habit of saying I will worry about it later.

I only walk for exercise at a pace that doesn't burn many calories so I know I can't walk away the calories either.

I think it's sad that I got myself where I am. Passing on goodies is sad too but not the end of my world. I can buy, cook or bake anything I want, whenever I want.

Being able to walk up stairs without feeling like I am a minute away from a heart attack is much more yummy than any food could ever be.

I love food. Never met anyone that doesn't have their favorites.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I REALLY dislike that we have somehow turned late November through early january into the amorphous season called "Holiday".

To my way of thinking, the 4 weeks preceding Christmas are Advent. Advent is supposed to have a mild penitential quality. So overeating then is actually contrary to the spirit of the season.
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    FredKing1 wrote: »
    Saw this item on-line "The average American will consume more than 4,500 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving Day alone, according to the Calorie Control Council." My plan is 1200 cals/day plus I eat my exercise. My BMR is about 2,000 plus I can exercise about 500 that morning - if I eat half of "average" I'll be alright - measure and weigh. Back to normal Friday, the left overs are toxic.

**I think you mean your TDEE is 2000, not BMR
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Did @kristen6350 say she was going to deprive herself of treats she loves? No. She said she was going to make choices not to overeat based on prioritization. I'm all for indulging, but I'm also all for making logical decisions about what calories are worth it and what aren't. It's entirely possible to fill a plate with reasonable portions of all the foods you love and not blow out your numbers. It's also possible to save up calories for the days leading up to the event to bank them for a bigger meal, a second piece of pie, etc. Those are both strategies that demonstrate planning and awareness. Abdicating responsibility and saying that you're doomed to gain because "holidays" is I think what this poster is stating is what she's choosing not to do, in order to not jeopardize her success.