Need help with a diet plan!!

Options
hey there guys so I've never actually been on a diet. So I have no idea where to start. Should I use a specific plan? How many calories should I have a day less or more?! And how do I calculate my calories that is appropriate for me?! Really need help here if anyone is willing to give some advice.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Did you plug in your numbers into MFP?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place. MFP is great because if you strictly want to lose weight you will have the freedom to eat anything, just stick to calorie allowance.
    This can all be determined for you here at MFP by inputting your weight, height age and activity levels. You also input your goals (lose 1 lb per week for example) and it will tell you how many calories to eat. What you eat, when you eat, is up to you.
    Really is that simple.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    MFP is really a platform for any diet you choose. The diary has defaults but you can change any and all of these to fit you. The first thing to do is read the pinned messages at the top of the forums. These will get you started. How many calories are appropriate to you hinges on your weight, age, gender and lifestyle. There are calculators for these.

Second thing to do is to learn more about what healthy eating choices work for you. Each person has a different set of ideas they found in different sources. My go to is Harvard's NutritionSource. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Finally, there is only one "trick" to losing weight: you have to expend more calories than you eat. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it. There are no magic pills or supplements. You do not need to detoxify. Liquid food is not better than solid food. No book or specific diet has all the answers. Etc.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Put your info into MFP. Eat the amount of calories it tells you to eat. Fill those calories with foods you enjoy.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    MFP will generate enough details for you to get up and running calorie wise. What is far more important is:

- Have you decided what you want to achieve, and why you think you need a diet/lifestyle change?
    - If you have, is this decision clear, written, and then broken down into smaller aspects so you have a chain of progression to go from success to success and stay motivated and determined?