How to get enough potassium

Options
hi all. No matter what I eat, supposedly I am way under my potassium levels every day. Cant handle 9 bananas per day.... Really would rather get from food, but it seems like I'd have to eat constantly for that.

Replies

• klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Certainly. Thanks a lot for the heads up.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Bananas, sweet potatoes and white beans. White beans are fantastic for potassium. Add to chili, soup or make a dip. Also many of the entries on MFP just don't have that info added in. So check a few to compare and make sure you are getting an accurate entry.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Regular potatoes also have a ton. Beets, winter squash (butternut, acorn, etc.) & mushrooms have a fair amount. Most fruits/veggies and legumes have some, and it adds up.

Also, not to make it worse, but the American Heart Association recommends 4,700 mg, which is higher than what MFP suggests.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Many labels don't list the K, so if you're basing it on labels, the number is probably wrong.

I don't base my K intake on labels and I'm still under every single day. Like most Americans, I don't get the amount we are advised to get. I've worked on it and increased my K, but I'll never get what they advise. I just cannot. I'm a little fed up with trying, honestly.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Avocado has almost double the potassium of a banana, gram for gram.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Broccoli! I ate 12.2 ounces for lunch. It was 1,092.9 mg of potassium!
  • xcoffeebean
    xcoffeebean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ground cinnamon & pure pumpkin puree! Better than yogurt in my opinion + packed with potassium.

Also play around with herbs; they're impressively nutrient dense.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    First of all when you are healthy and no sodium problems etc...dont worry about it.

and when you do...log EVERYTHING! weigh and log
    Coffee has potassium, spices too etc etc

I hit my potassium easily almost every day. I eat a lot of fresh vegetables/fruit and spices and herbs. Drink a lot of coffee too ;) lol

but it all helps beside the fact that indeed a lot of labels not even the total amount of potassium marks.

So for most people i would say...dont worry about it.

95069916.png
  • MollyBradford
    MollyBradford Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bananas are not the only source of potassium! Eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and you'll get enough. I always hit well over my goal without even trying, just by eating a huge variety of fruits and vegetables. Sweet potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, and berries are all good sources of potassium, but just by having some vegetables with every meal and having fruit as snacks you should be fine.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Haha, didn't think of some of the above at all... Doesn't help that I'm vegetarianish and picky about some veggies and fruits. Lol. I'm not good at logging every single thing, so sure that makes a difference. Just found out cumin seeds have lots of irOn! Wow. So the herb thing and super foods prob make a huge difference too...