Hit a wall!

Options
I am getting a little frustrated. I have cut back my calories and I have been working out every now and again (I work with kids and I am on my feet and active all day) and I can't seem to lose anymore weight. I have been doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution but the DVDs got too tough for me (as much as I hate to admit that) and had to just stick to her kickboxing DVD. I am not going to give up because, after losing a little over 50 lbs, I LOVE how I am beginning to feel. Its just a little discouraging because I have a LONG way to go for my goal. Now, I know you're not suppose to look at how far you have to go but its tough right now. How has anyone else dealt or worked through their plateaus?!

Replies

• PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Maybe open your diary so we can see what/how much you're eating?
  • stephaniexamber85
    Options
    How can I do that?
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try not eating until after you do your workouts. Sometimes looking for a few different type of meals than you usually make can get your body out of a plateau. How far are you from your ideal BMI? I don't put much stock in the rating but it an give a general expectation and if you're just above it you may be getting close to where your body wants to stay.

How well do you sleep? You get a full 8 hours? Stress can cause plateaus and getting a little more sleep can help. Limiting high intensity workouts to 2 days a week can also help your body recover if you feel like you're just wearing yourself down.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am getting a little frustrated. I have cut back my calories and I have been working out every now and again (I work with kids and I am on my feet and active all day) and I can't seem to lose anymore weight. I have been doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution but the DVDs got too tough for me (as much as I hate to admit that) and had to just stick to her kickboxing DVD. I am not going to give up because, after losing a little over 50 lbs, I LOVE how I am beginning to feel. Its just a little discouraging because I have a LONG way to go for my goal. Now, I know you're not suppose to look at how far you have to go but its tough right now. How has anyone else dealt or worked through their plateaus?!

How long have you been stuck?
    Do you use a food scale?
    How active are you outside of your exercise?
    HOw many days/week do you do that DVD?
    What is your current weight?
    How many calories are you eating on average per day?
    What is your macronutrient breakdown? (Open your diary for this and the previous question)

Context matters before assessing what might cause a plateau.
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice for you physically. The big thing about plateaus is that we get impatient. Our body will continue to move toward health and well being if we eat right and exercise, limit calories and stay focused on the health part. Getting hung up on numbers can set us up for frustration, which will make us stay "stuck" because our emotions play a role also. Try to keep on doing what you know is right and don't let this eat at you. Be patient with your body. Change may suddenly jump out at you after a long while and when it does, you may find that your body is continuing to change even though you haven't done more to accelerate it. Sometimes it happens that way. Try to be posititve, be calm and carry on. Best to you!