Want this more than anything

Options
Hello everyone

I want to loose weight so so bad that I stress about it all the time what to eat how much I should exercise etc you get me. I want to do this and I know I can

Anything can give me tips on how they were successful different foods or exercises when they are anything that can get me going on doing this journey for me and finally be happy. I feel like I am up and down and all over the place

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it thanks

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • Mellieanne1019
    Mellieanne1019 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for responding
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    If you think losing weight will make you happy you will be disappointed. Happiness comes from a different place. Lose to feel better. Lose to fit in different clothes. Lose so it's easier to get in and outv of the car. Lose for any number of reasons just don't expect weight loss to solve all your problems so you can be "happy"
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Those of us who have been successful combined the motivation you obviously have with discipline. Really everything falls into place once you have those two things.
    I would definitely say that you need to set realistic goals for time, and be patient. See yourself in the future, however long it takes and work toward being that person.

Tips for eating:
    Eat everything you enjoy in moderation. Try to hit the recommended macro levels.

Do some strength building exercise to maintain muscle.

Do some form of cardio to burn calories and improve heart health.

need more advice, just ask. Many specifics but most you kind of have to figure out what you enjoy, what you have time for, how body responds.

good luck
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There's a lot of confusing information about nutrition, for sure. Here too though, people have used different approaches, so you won't get one clear answer. What they have in common is eating less than you burn and the food choices being stuff you can actually live with for a good amount of time.

For *me*, it was helpful to eat more meat, veg, whole grains, dairy (yogurt and cottage cheese are good filling snacks for me), nuts than other stuff. Like 80% of my diet would be that. That's what kept me full and fuelled for fitness. I'd have a chunk of meat, 1/2 a cup of maybe rice or potatoes, 1-2 cups of salad or cooked vegetables.

The other 20% would be whatever else I wanted. Maybe once or twice a week, I'd have McDonald's, or Indian takeout, but I tried to not eat too much of that. My thing was not to do that two days in a row, because it was a slippery slope for me.

How much do you have to lose? Try to eat as much as you can get away with while you go. It's easier that way, more sustainable. Some people pick "2 pounds a week" and the truth is you don't have to be at 1200 calories to lose, you can do it on 1800, depending. (I did.) Much more comfortable that way.

I started out with Jillian Michaels' fitness DVDs (30 Day Shred) and got interested in other activities after that. I'd say, start with whatever activity you enjoy. Try to do 30-60 minutes of something (even walking) most days. Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, strictly speaking, but it gives you a buffer so you can eat a bit more, and it keeps you healthy. Cardio can help keep appetite down, for some people.

Type of exercise - personally, I'd suggest not doing too much high-impact stuff, because that puts you at risk for injury, and you want to be able to do this for a long time.

At some point, you'll want to do resistance training to keep your muscle mass as you lose. (Otherwise, you'll end up the same, just smaller.)

All that's assuming you have no physical limitations - do you have any? Also assumes you eat meat, not sure. If you're a vegetarian or have other dietary restrictions, you'll want to keep protein high (someone else can help with that).
  • Mellieanne1019
    Mellieanne1019 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful advice...... I want to loose 50 ibs be stronger and feel better and of course be healthy! I try to stay away from junk food and bad carbohydrates and yes I do eat protein etc I can do this just all in my head

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful advice appreciate it much!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Carbs aren't necessarily bad, it's just that for some people, eating a lot of them without enough of the other stuff can make it hard to meet protein etc goals while staying under your daily calorie target. (Some people just get too hungry on that and wind up going over. Other people can just eat less of whatever they're already eating. That's not for me, though. I always do worse when I eat McDonald's too often.)

You want fibre, in my opinion, because it helps keep you full. For me, that makes it easier to stick to my goal. And fibre (mostly in veg, fruits, grains) - IS in things like white carbs, but you might get more fibre from some other things. (But like baby potatoes with skin on them have a lot of fibre.)

Totally avoiding carbs or whatever is going to make it harder to stick to it in the long term. 80:20 :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I understand that 'want' - many of us do. My advice to you would be - go easy on yourself.
    You'll get there & here at MFP we'll certainly help you. But remember, you're a human being and this process will not happen overnight or even as quickly as you'd like. Yes, you'll have the odd set-back here and there and yes you'll find yourself shouting at the scale to just "HURRY UP AND MOVE", but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Slow and steady wins the race. You can do this and you will. Have patience and stay strong : )
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Honestly, really wanting it is THE most important thing.

Everyone does it differently. I eat a high-carb diet, full of healthy foods, mostly fruits and veggies. Some people eat a high-protein diet. Some eat high-fat diets. The best way to do it is the way that works best for YOU.

If you really want it, you'll do it. Most people who fail are failing because they don't really want to do the work of losing weight. They just want to be thin and they go through the motions without actually wanting to do it.

When you really WANT to succeed, you do! :)
  • pookey26
    pookey26 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Deep breath .....relax and one day at a time. It is a lifestyle change but it doesn't happen overnight. Know one knows you like you do so work out what you need to deal with first. For me it was eating something sweet straight out of bed in the morning changing that habit changed a lot of things. Also despite carrying extra weight I'm fairly fit and love to exercise but the habit of reward had to change to a habit of learning to fuel . These are personal to me but what I'm trying to say is as well logging calories extra look at your habits these are the things that will come back in your weakest moments but being prepared for them, knowing they are habit helps to crack them .

Good luck ....you got this !
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You wanting to make a change is where it starts. Take it easy on yourself and know that you can and will do this, just not overnight. There's going to be victories and setbacks but look at it all in a positive way, you can learn from all of it. Make small sustainable changes, add exercise. Find something that you enjoy, dancing, walking, martial arts, exercise classes, yoga, etc.. Do what you like and add strength exercises that will change the way your body look and as women we need to have as we get older for bone health. Eat nutritious food and throw in a treat every now and then. Everything in moderation.

I am a work in progress, I'm not at goal weight but the first thing I learned is that weightloss happens in the kitchen. Buy a food scale and measure your food. Try to have a protein with every meal. Have healthy fats(avocadoes, raw nuts, fatty fish), fibrous foods (veggies and fruit) in your diet. What worked for me was to eat complex carbs more than simple carbs. Sweet potatoes, oatmeal, grains and I limit the processed stuff like pasta and bread. I still include them but not with every meal. I want to have a healthy relationship with food and this works for me.

If binges happens, it did for me, look at why. Are you missing nutrients, eating too many simple carbs, not eating enough filling nutrient dense foods? Make small changes if you have to and
    don't give up. Log it and just continue on. We are all human, it happens.

Good luck and remember you can do this!