Workout variations, angles

m.youtube.com/user/JDCav24
I've been browsing this guy's channel after growing bored of a decade or so of conventional "bodybuilder" type movements. He's more so into functional training & literally adding "twists" to movements for hitting various muscle groups at different angles. Seems better for getting an old school aesthetic look with athletic performance emphasis. What do you guys think?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I just watched 1 video now and it doesn't reflect what you're talking about. Which videos do you mean?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    I've seen his videos before and looked him up. Assuming the internet info is correct he has good credentials at least and what I've seen him discuss in his videos is reasonable. I don't know what you mean by different angles and stuff, he's not doing anything out of the box really.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    It's not mentioned in all his videos, maybe 1/4 he'll mention variation of a movement to make things more real world/functional. I.e. Video on 1-legged training, Lat pull down training, etc.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    I guess it depends on how you define "real-world" and "function." "Functional training" is a word that's thrown around, kind of like "clean-eating", but it's often not fully understood or used to mean different things.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I believe he has a physical therapy background, and from what I have seen, his claims of being "functional" involve variations in traditional exercises that are designed to, according to him, decrease the negative parts of a traditional exercise.

One example: he is not a fan of traditional cable pec flys. Instead, he recommends a single-arm cable movement in which arm and body positions are altered to shift more of the load to the pecs and less to the anterior deltoid.

Second example: He also does not like traditional barbell upright rows. He uses dumbbells and starts you off with an upright row movement, but a little over 1/2 up, has you externally rotate the shoulders so that you end up with the arms making a W.

So while he uses the term "functional", I don't get the impression that he means it in the "woo" way it's so often used now. He is recommending movements that he feels maxmize time under tension while decreasing joint strain.