Military/Navy Body Fat calculations

Options
Fat2Fit's military body fat calculator seems to be popular. I thought this video would be useful to some. Fat2Fit's instructions say to take a woman's hip measrement at the widest point, but that should be the widest point from a side view, not a front view. Going over the greatest protrusion of gluteal muscles. For example, from a front view my widest point is at my lower belly area, which is about a good inch more than my "true hip" (where dressmaker's measure the hips) measurement.

Anyway, the video goes into all the nitty gritty of how to be cleared for the physical readiness test, but it has a demonstration of taping towards the end. To find the body fat percentage associated with the circumference measurement, you'd have to look up the instruction--or punch the figures into an online calculator.

Hope this helps!

By the way, many servicemembers complain that it gives a false high reading because it doesn't account for muscle, but it can also giive a false low. My BIA and all circumference measurements, including the military one, are at about the same percentage but that percentage was signifiantly lower than what my DEXA scan revealed.

www.navy.mil/viewVideo.asp?id=18527