“Exercise Calories” A POLL

Options
Just curious to see what the ratio is for people who use this site as to:

how many of you find it a necessity to eat all your exercise calories and that is the only way you can lose weight or you just feel that is THE LAW….VS.

how many of you do NOT eat your exercise calories and lose weight just fine or feel that being told that you MUST eat your exercise calories is a crock of mmm hmmm

and how many of you eat half of your exercise calories because you are just confused

Replies

• cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Some days I struggle to get over 1200 calories and some days I have no problem. I never ever eat all my calories in one day. It's just too much food and then I would be going over the other categories of protein, fat and sodium. if I get over 1200, I'm content. AND still losing weight.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I generally eat all my exercise calories because otherwise I'd be starving. I could make better choices with what calories/food I'm eating, but I don't always. 1200 calories would be hard to stay under. So, I exercise in order to eat.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I eat them - usually. not because it is THE LAW, but more because I have so few calories to eat on a daily goal without exercise (1200) -- I have found that if I exercise I am hungry! :blushing:
  • marthauchino
    marthauchino Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I come within 100 calories (less) or so of my daily calories allowed because, otherwise, I wouldn't be eating anything at all. And I've read that it isn't good to starve yourself. I've lost only 7 lbs. in 3 months, but I'm middle aged and I work out hard for only about 30 minutes a day, 4 or 5 days a week. The rest of the time, I pretty much sit at a desk. So, I think it's working. My downfall is alcohol, I think. I like my glass of wine at the end of the day.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I try to always leave some calories to leave room for variances in the amount of calories burned and also so that I don't have to be too meticulous about entering every little thing that I eat.
  • hjackson6
    hjackson6 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have only been on MFP for about a week so I don't know if I am suppose to eat more to consume those calories earned by exercise. I try not to necessarily consume them but I am glad sometimes I have them, So I don't go over my calories for the day. I am still trying to figure out the best and healthiest way to get enough good calories and fats. I am glad to see that I am not the only one on like 1200 calories a day which is hard to stay under with trying to feed two picky boys dinner.
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    I generally do not eat the exercise calories, but if I'm hungery I will. I listen to my body and decide from there.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them. Most times I have a hard job even getting to my 1200 goal, let alone over stuffing myself to eat more.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories because I have a hard enough time getting over 1200!! And, yes, it seems sort of bull**** to eat back calories. Of all the calorie counting websites I've tried, none of them but MFP has told me to eat them back. It just seems silly. Anyways, if and when the time comes that I hit a plateau or something, I guess I will give eating them back a try.
  • disneyfetishboy
    disneyfetishboy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I generally do not eat the exercise calories, but if I'm hungry I will. I listen to my body and decide from there.

^this

Although since I hit my initial weight target already and am moving into more of a maintenance mode, it's more common I eat at least part of my exercise calories back these days.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Once again, I'm thinking WTF???? How can it be such a chore to eat 1200 calories??? I'm with Shamrock, I exercise so I get enough to eat. I have been losing weight just fine doing that. I'm ahead of my stated goals.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I generally do not eat the exercise calories, but if I'm hungery I will. I listen to my body and decide from there.

I love this answer and fall into this category. I think listening to your body is important. I usually don't eat mine either but if they are there as a bonus and I'm hungry...I GO FOR IT!
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I always eat them because I really feel like I need them and am starving if I don't. I also exercise so I can eat. If I don't exercise, I can't stick to my calorie limit (1200). There may be like one day a year where I'm sick or something and don't eat them, but it is very rare.
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    I don't eat my excersice calories either, it's just waaaaay too much food, I rarely even make it to my 1200 calorie goal. If I get hungry later on and have excersice calories left to eat then I will a little, but I never over do it. Just eat a lil snack so the hungry feeling is gone, and that rarely ever happens!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    what are you guys eating that you can easily stay under 1200 cals? im always hungry and mine is set 1500!

(i try not to eat my exercise calories but somedays im to hungry)
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I eat them if I'm hungry, I don't if I'm not.

If I've only exercised off 1-300 calories, eating them isn't a big deal - if I've exercised in excess of 600 calories, I often don't eat them all because I'm just not THAT hungry - the more I exercise, the smaller my appetite for some reason.

I also find it odd that people who are overweight have a hard time eating more than 1200 calories - I mean, how did they GET overweight if they can't eat that much??? LOL
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories if I am hungry and feel I need them. Otherwise, I don't. I am comfortable doing this FOR NOW because I have a large amount of weight to lose, have settings set up to lose 1 pound a week, and have lost over 2 pounds a week since starting. If I have more than a few hundred calories of exercise calories, I definitely eat some of them... but right now I'm not doing any high intensity workouts that burn off that many calories!

Once I get further along on my journey, I am sure I will be eating most if not all of my exercise calories. I do think they are needed, especially as you get closer to your goal.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I eat every single exercise calorie. I love food, and I enjoy eating as many calories as I possibly can while still losing fat. Why wouldn't I? Working out makes me feel strong and fit, but another huge bonus is that I get to eat more. I don't disbelieve those who say they struggle to eat all their calories, but I certainly can't relate.
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I too am a bit confused! But I don't eat all my exercise calories because I think if I eat them back then I will be maintaing my weight and not losing, and my goal is to lose weight!! But I can use the feedback from this question. Currently I have 1200 calories to eat and I started with 1600 calories a day, but changed because I thought that was too much. I also am very mindful about the fat content of the food too!
  • chelseap891
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories. I don't even really eat all my calories a day I SHOULD eat...I'm not a big eater so..idk.