Sugar limit help?

Options
I have so much trouble staying within the 24g sugar limit. I'll have a greek yogurt and some blueberries for breakfast and I'll already be over the limit. Does anyone have any tips for cutting back on sugar? I love fruit and I don't want to cut it out but it just has so much sugar...

Replies

• Footlady123
    Footlady123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel I ate. Banana and went over my sugar levels for the whole day
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This is probably bad advice but here is what I did..... Went to settings and replaced my nutrients from sugar to fiber... now I get to see myself go over in fiber instead:-) I keep my fruit 3-5servings a day. Interested to hear from somebody who knows what they are talking about. Thanks for the post
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • neil4ad
    neil4ad Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue -- largely because I eat a lot of fruit. I have tried to cut down on added sugars/processed sugars, but because I eat fruit like mango or watermelon, end up going over the recommended intake on MFP quite often.

As far as different types of sugar, I note that where some hold that all sugars (i.e. naturally occurring sugar in fruit and refined white sugar) are equal, others argue that naturally occurring sugars (as in fruit) are digested differently and may be less harmful. I'm not sure that the question has been definitively resolved, with current research to back it up.
  • raiderlifer53
    raiderlifer53 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was going to start a new thread but looks like this is already in play. I am able to meet all of my levels each day in carbs, fat, protein but never sugar. My daily limit is 40 grams but I'm never close. My weight has reduced from 215 lbs to 185 lbs in the last five months.In order to get to my goal of 180 lbs the one area out of whack is sugar. I don't eat anything but simple sugars that are in fruit, etc. Does anyone understand how MFP comes up with this daily amount? I can't see how to reduce this without cutting out fruit which is a passion for me? Any suggestions?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    MFP's amount is the recommended amount for *added* sugars. I ignore it and track fiber.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go over your goal for carbs, then eat all the sugar you want. There are no "good" and "bad" sugars. People often say that natural sugar is "good" but it's only good because it is always accompanied by other healthy nutrients present in the fruit or vegetable they are in. Sugar is sugar, natural sugars have the same affect on you as added sugar, it's just that added sugar usually offers no other nutrients which is why people refer to it as empty calories. Anyway, just don't go over your carb goal and eat all the sugar you want. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter if the sugar will be stored as fat, because in a caloric deficit, that stored fat will be burned off later in the day. For example, if all I ate for the entire day was granulated sugar, but I only ate 2000 calories of granulated sugar for the day (2500 TDEE), then at the end of the day, I will have a net fat loss.
  • Footlady123
    Footlady123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry not very knowledgable in this department what's sugar got to do with fiber?