struggling to lose weight

Options
I find it so hard to loose weight on the scales. I exercise a lot and eat a normal diet (I count calories strictly), but I don't notice much difference on the scale and my body likes to stay around 12st-12st 3lb. It's so frustrating. I'm 5"7.5. My mum tells me I've lost weight and I feel good but I should be lighter especially as my BMI is 26-26.5. I weighed today and I'm 12st 2.8lb :(. My period is due in a few days so I don't know if it's that and I know that you can retain water from exercise. I ran 3.6 miles the other day.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I also retain water from exercise. You ran and are close to your period so I would say that its a safe bet to say that your just retaining water. It happens, there's no reason to fret.
    if you have problems seeing your progress on the scale , then I'd start to take measurements . write down your measurements (and the date because water weight can effect this also, my belly measures almost 2 inches larger during these times. ) for some that don't have a lot to lose, its easier to see the progress through measurements instead of scale numbers. I measure monthly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Your body only likes to stay around 12st to 12st3 because of your calorie balance.

Hard to dicipher what you are asking as there's a lot of "fluff" in your posting but not much in the way of hard facts like what exercise or far more crucially what your calorie goal is - but yes water fluctuations can mask fat loss. Comparing weight month on month is more useful.

Opening your diary would help, that's the first place to look if you aren't seeing results.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Weigh foods
    Log accurately
    Stay within MFP calories, if not workout more to create a bigger deficit.

Problem solved.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Buy a measuring tape. When I am not losing weight, on a deficit, I measure. Make sure you tighten up with logging and use a foodscale.
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1700-1900 cals a day plus I walk 15-20 miles a week on top of going to the gym 3-4 times a week and doing intense work outs. I need 2000-2100 cals to maintain my weight without exercise! restrictive diets aren't healthy. ive done very low calorie diets before and lost loads of weight but put it back on only to gain it because I was hungry all the time and couldn't maintain that kind of restrictive diet. also I don't think that weighing food is a healthy approach either, as it can lead to obsessive behaviours and eating disorders.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1700-1900 cals a day plus I walk 15-20 miles a week on top of going to the gym 3-4 times a week and doing intense work outs. I need 2000-2100 cals to maintain my weight without exercise!

I disagree, If you're eating 1700-1900 calories per day, and not losing weight, then by definition, that is what is required to maintain your weight. To lose, you'll need to eat slightly less than that.

Though I would echo the advice repeated above...unless you are weighing and measuring your food ingredients and portions, you really aren't SURE you're eating 1700-1900. You're merely estimating.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1700-1900 cals a day plus I walk 15-20 miles a week on top of going to the gym 3-4 times a week and doing intense work outs. I need 2000-2100 cals to maintain my weight without exercise! restrictive diets aren't healthy. ive done very low calorie diets before and lost loads of weight but put it back on only to gain it because I was hungry all the time and couldn't maintain that kind of restrictive diet. also I don't think that weighing food is a healthy approach either, as it can lead to obsessive behaviours and eating disorders.

I understand if you've decided that weighing food isn't an healthy approach for YOU, but there are tons of people here who do it without having issues. You need to decide what is best for you and you know your tendency towards obsessive behavior better than a group of people on the internet. However, if you aren't weighing your food, you could be eating much more than you think you are. This is going to slow down your weight loss and it's something that you will have to factor into your decision.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

1900 *might* be your maintenance... All the online calculators are just estimates. And if you're not weighing your food, you have no idea if you're actually eating only 1900. We want you to be successful, but the tools are available for you to use. We can't use them for you. It's very, very likely you're underestimating your intake by 20% and overestimating your daily TDEE by 10-20%. This would mean no loss showing on the scales.
  • fitnessqueen91
    Options
    ive been on strict low calorie diets of 1000-1200 calories and I wouldn't loose a pounds
  • fitnessqueen91
    Options
    people eat low calorie diets and still loose weight
  • fitnessqueen91
    Options
    im pretty sure as a very active person I don't maintain weight on what im eating. look I feel good and I see changes in the mirror, but not on the scale. im not going to obsess about every morsel of food. enjoy your crash diets and putting the weight back on. id rather lose it slowly than yoyo.
  • fitnessqueen91
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I also retain water from exercise. You ran and are close to your period so I would say that its a safe bet to say that your just retaining water. It happens, there's no reason to fret.
    if you have problems seeing your progress on the scale , then I'd start to take measurements . write down your measurements (and the date because water weight can effect this also, my belly measures almost 2 inches larger during these times. ) for some that don't have a lot to lose, its easier to see the progress through measurements instead of scale numbers. I measure monthly.

thanks! your response was the only helpful and wise one.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    im pretty sure as a very active person I don't maintain weight on what im eating.

Your results indicate otherwise
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    im pretty sure as a very active person I don't maintain weight on what im eating. look I feel good and I see changes in the mirror, but not on the scale. im not going to obsess about every morsel of food. enjoy your crash diets and putting the weight back on. id rather lose it slowly than yoyo.

Well, now you're just being insulting to people who are trying to help troubleshoot what might be happening. Why would I try to help someone who's going to turn around and throw *kitten* like this in my face.

If you're happy with the changes you're seeing, then great. Keep doing what you're doing. But you asked why your weight isn't going down and that's controlled by your calorie intake. No one here is suggesting a vlcd. They're suggesting that somewhere along the way one or more of your estimates are off. What you do with that information is up to you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Ah.... there's the issue! Not weighing foods. You're most probably eating more than you think.

Has weighing been a problem for you in the past? Just asking, as many here used to just eyeball or measure portions and didn't lose any weight until they started to weigh their food....and they started losing again. I was one of them! Weighing gives a great insight as to how much you're eating. I was actually eating a few hundred calories more than what I thought I was and was close to or on maintenance until I started weighing my food. It doesn't take much time to weigh foods. I prepare a day ahead so that I stay on track.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Actually there was a ton of good advice from all the posters here.

Good luck on your weight loss.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You said you were frustrated because you were struggling to lose weight. People were trying to help you. Nobody is suggesting that you go on a crash diet.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Google the following term: "confirmation bias"
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Except in your first post you said you're stuck in 12st-12.3st.

So you are maintaining at your current intake. Options are to reassess your intake, increase your activity/exercise, or see a doctor to rule out any medical issues that could be a factor. I don't think anyone here has suggested you follow a 'crash diet'. Those were your words. The advise here was to improve logging accuracy.

If you are losing it slowly, then good. Over what time frame have you been stuck at 12-12.3? If just a few weeks maybe you need more patience. Water weight from a number of causes can hide weight loss. But if you've been at the same weight for months then you are eating at maintenance.

• fitnessqueen91
    Options
    Except in your first post you said you're stuck in 12st-12.3st.

So you are maintaining at your current intake. Options are to reassess your intake, increase your activity/exercise, or see a doctor to rule out any medical issues that could be a factor. I don't think anyone here has suggested you follow a 'crash diet'. Those were your words. The advise here was to improve logging accuracy.

If you are losing it slowly, then good. Over what time frame have you been stuck at 12-12.3? If just a few weeks maybe you need more patience. Water weight from a number of causes can hide weight loss. But if you've been at the same weight for months then you are eating at maintenance.

I haven't been at that weight for months but for the past two or so months I have. Maybe I'm just impatient and I expect quick results. I've struggled with binge eating but I'm getting better. Whenever I'm 12 and a half stone and over I loose weight quickly but then it seems to stabilise and I see small changes on the scale even if I feel better about myself and my body. Or I won't loose a pound and then the next time I step on the scale bam I've lost two or three pounds!