Ladies, have you lose on 1700 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    With a thyroid issue, you can't compare yourself to others. The first thing I would do, if it hasn't been done recently, is have a checkup with your doctor/endocrinologist to make sure the medications are working like they should.

Once that is established, you may have to find the right calorie level for yourself, rather than going from websites. Most of those work on averages, and you just might not find that they apply well to you :frowning: Have you talked with your doctor about weight loss or asked for a referral to a dietician who works with people who are hypothyroid?
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    @mathjulz I will make an appointment with my endo, thanks for the suggestion.

Bobo
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    While everyone is different, I still believe it comes down to CICO (calories in/calories out). I consistently eat at 1400-1500 a day and I exercise at least 5 days a week. Without the exercise, I cannot lose unless my calories are lower at around 1200-1300. For me, even with exercise, 1700 cals a day is maintenance. Sad, but true.

Also, you HAVE lost weight even if it is not as fast as you'd like. It took me nearly 10 months to lose 25 pounds. That's about the same rate that you have lost so far. I had several plateaus along the way, but I've stuck with it and the weight has come off slowly. Don't give up!
  • thebobogrind
    Options
    Thank you RaeBeeBaby and everyone else!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight eating 1800 a day.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My starting weight was 263.8lbs. (I'm 5'7"). I lost 75lbs eating 1800 calories a day. I now eat 1600-1700 and am down 89lbs and still losing.
    Edited to add: I exercise 5-6 days a week, a mix of cardio and weights.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nope. But I'm short, lightly active, and I started at 165 lbs. Technically I guess I could have lost a bit of weight but not what I was aiming for, and when I started I probably wasn't as accurate at logging. Now 1700 is only about 150 less than my maintenance calories.
  • thebobogrind
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So it's almost 2 years later and I'm back on here weighing 20 lbs more than I started off when I wrote this post! Whoooops!

I ended up losing a lot of weight, but then got comfortable, stopped logging, and put the weight back on, plus an extra 20!
  • RavenKnight2018
    Options
    That has happened to me. I lost 60 lbs back in 2013, then fell off for a few years now I am back up to my top weight again and having to start over. I am happy about it though because I have learned a lot from my past experiences and learned that I really have to fix my head first. I also have learned I can't be so overly critical of myself. Good luck, I am sure that like me you have learned a lot from the past and can use it to shape a better future. :wink:
  • fitness_goals_007
    Options
    I use TDEE and have been aiming to eat 1700 calories. For me that's a 500 calorie decrease. I have been losing weight :) Most days I end up eating 1900 or so
  • Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and age as you, and while I don't have thyroid issues, I do have PCOS. I lose nicely (1-1.5 per week) on 1800-2000 a day, depending on my exercise level. For what its worth, for some reason when I first started, I was going back and forth with the same 3 pounds for about 2 months, then all of a sudden, I had a whoosh, and its been fairly steady every since. That is a long-winded way of saying to keep going! :)

Hybridtheory, you just gave me hope! Up and down the same 4 pounds since the end of July. Maybe it will go down and stay down someday!!
  • Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thebobbo, i didn't even notice that the posts were older ones!!
  • thebobogrind
    Options
    @Rooskie73 , yeah it's been a while! :p

I'm thinking I'll try incorporating some sort of intermittent fasting.. like 16/8... to ensure I don't go over my calories.

We can do this!!! :)
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and currently 145 lbs. For me, I can't really lose on 1700 calories (also 53 years old). 1700 calories used to work for me for weight loss. Not so much anymore. But OP, at your weight, it should definitely work until you get lower. I'm sorry that you've gained it all back. I think we've all been there. I didn't have a lot to lose to begin with (15-20 lbs). I lost it and then for a variety of stress reasons, stopped being disciplined with my eating and gained most of back. Came back to MFP and now I am back down and all we can do is try to learn and do better.

My one tip is to be totally honest with yourself about what you are eating. Measure, measure, measure. That's what helped me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So it's almost 2 years later and I'm back on here weighing 20 lbs more than I started off when I wrote this post! Whoooops!

I ended up losing a lot of weight, but then got comfortable, stopped logging, and put the weight back on, plus an extra 20!

I gained back 10, lol. It's hard, man. I am NOT satisfied on less than 2000 calories.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I started out by comparing mfp with my TDEE-20% and they are comparable. I workout 4x a week regularly so I stuck with the latter. Also, since I'm using TDEE-20%, I do not eat back exercise calories.

Right now I'm set to 1760 (I'll usually just hit 1700) and lose about ~2 lbs each week over the last 6 weeks. I re-calculate my numbers every 10 lbs.

SW 8/13/2017: 213.5
    CW 9/22/2017: 199.5

My diary is open and I'd be happy to support and motivate you throughout your journey.

Good luck!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am a completely sedentary 66 y.o. 5'4" woman and I'm losing about 7 pounds/month on TDEE-500. Right now, at 255 lbs., that's 1518 calories/day. I don't eat back exercise calories but, then again, I don't exercise.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

So I've been logging for about 90 days now, and so far have only lost 8lbs (I am hypothyroid, but take medication every day).

My stats:
    SW 248
    CW: 240
    Height: 5'7
    Activity- gym 3-4 times a week, cardio and strength training

At the beginning I was eating 1200, then upped to 1550, but I haven't lost as much as I thought I would lose based on all the success stories I've reading (MFP said I should have lost 1.5lbs a week).

I'm wondering if I should use the TDEE-20/25% and eat at 1700 calories instead?
    Maybe I'm eating too little?

I'm confused and a little disappointed at this point...

Would like to hear back from women around my stats who are eating 1700 and losing nicely (or not).

Thanks in advance!
    Bobo

Ok, I'm quite a lot shorter than you at 5'2" and older at 45, but when I started this weight loss lark almost 2 years ago I weighed in at 289.5lb. I set up MFP to lose 1lb/week, linked my Fitbit and ate as close to target as I could (including exercise/activity Calories). I've lost a total of 141lb in those 2 years eating an average of 2250 Calories (sometimes as much as 3000), and I can count the number of times I went below 2000 on the fingers of one hand. The thing is that your weight loss won't be linear, some weeks I lost 4lb, some I lot nothing and some I appeared to gain, depending on where I was in my monthly lifting cycle, and my ToM.
  • kmbutler09
    kmbutler09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. Lost 60 pounds back in 2012 and have now gained about 100 pounds. I'm going to send you a friend request. I don't have thyroid issues (that I know of) but do have PCOS.
  • 150_lbs_by_2019
    150_lbs_by_2019 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If your net calories go below 1200 when you exercise, then you are probably eating too little. When you exercise, you have to keep your net calories above 1200. I've been on MFP since May 1st. My starting calories were 1800 and now they're down to 1580. I have lost 50 lbs so far by maintaining a net of 1200 or more and keeping my calories at goal.