What vegetables do you like?

2»

Replies

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    I never ate a mushroom growing up, my patents hated them so they never cooked with them. Not until I moved into my own place with my own kitchen did I realize that mushrooms are absolutely delish! I bought them on a whim one day to try em and never looked back.

OP, mushrooms are like sponges so they cook best with other strong flavors like beef or garlic. If you are going to try them ;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Try them different ways. Sometimes cooking method makes a big difference in how something tastes.
    Have your vegetables in soups, pasta sauces, stir fries, or casseroles. Try roasted or grilled vegetables.
    Look up different vegetable recipes.

I like a lot of vegetables. I prefer fresh or frozen vegetables. The only canned vegetable I like is canned tomato.

spinach
    zucchini
    sweet potato
    white potato
    onion
    carrot
    tomato
    peppers
    broccoli
    cabbage
    corn
    pumpkin
    asparagus
    green beans
    celery

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2015
    Raw: Kohlrabi, rutabaga/swede, broccoli, cauliflower, romanesco, carrots, cucumber (fresh and pickled), beets (only fresh!), green salad (lettuce, romaine/cos, ruccola/rocket, every one), kale, asparagus.
    Prepared: Potato, sweet potato, onion, garlic (more of a herb/spice, maybe), celery, parsnip, celeriac(celery root)/parsley root, snap peas, squash/zucchini, pepper/paprika, butternut squash/pumpkin, corn, artichoke, mushrooms, green peas, green beans, spinach, edamame. I've not decided in brussel sprouts yet. Once slathered in butter it was really nice; other times just nasty. Oh, and Jerusalem artichoke. And canned tomatoes and beans, lol :D I'm editing too :p
    bri170lb wrote: »
    The only vegetable that I don't like is red beets. Ever since I was a kid. They just taste like dirt to me. I try them often. I really want to like them because they are so pretty.

Beets are a somewhat aquired taste, as they do have an earthy flavor. But it's not at all unpleasant.
    You can try the yellow beet or chiogga beet first, they are even sweeter, and even prettier, have less earth flavor, and a lot less messy.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Almost any vegetable I've tried, if prepared the right way is tasty. A lot of what we keep in our house:

spinach, carrots, peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, beans of all sorts, potatoes...

recently I found I love Brussel sprouts.... We also occasionally use bok choy, chard, kale, water chestnuts, garlic, tomatoes have to be cooked (no way around this for me)

I have been trying to find recipes for squash and sweet potatoes to like them

I guess you could say I like to experiment with what I have at hand...
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    All of them pretty much. I buy bags of mixed vegetables. Corn, peas, carrots, green beans, Broccolli, lots of beans, etc
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    I love veggies. Even the one's that aren't my favorites, if on my plate or in my fridge I'd still eat them or figure out a way to incorporate them into a dish in an unobtrusive way, e.g. kale, purple cabbage.

Staples in our fridge/freezer though are green cabbage, spinach, carrots, onions and chives, celery, potatoes, peas, garlic. I also buy squash and rutabaga fairly regularly. I do enjoy looking the produce section for interesting and new-to-me imports.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    We about 1/2 fill our cart with veggies before we leave the produce aisle. This week's haul included yellow summer squash, sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, celery, carrots, green cabbage, red cabbage, mushrooms, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, radishes, leaf lettuce, spinach, ... oh, and a bag of onions to layer under the turkey to provide steam.

I usually have on hand parsley (curly and Italian), cilantro, etc. but they looked lousy this week. We'll "satisfice" with winter-hardy marjoram from the pot out front and some frozen basil from last summer's pots. Also ginger and garlic.

And Steamfresh frozen veggies were two-fer this week so restocked the freezer with corn, green beans, and peas.

Last week was our Trader Joe's week so I had 3 kinds of mushrooms: white, baby bella, and shitaki.

Hubby's idea of an evening snack is a big bowl of raw fresh veggies. He's lost 70 lbs. since we got married. Wish I could say the same. I've got to learn to think of veggies as a snack.