Coming from Weight Watchers

Options
Hello everyone! I have been on the weight watchers program for about 12 years straight now. I lost a total of 80 pounds since i started and I have managed to keep it off. However....i feel like I want to start learning to count calories. I feel this would be easier when eating out and what not and not converting everything into points. Plus I love the MFP database better. I have some questions.....I am a little nervouse switching over to this. the WW has worked for me even the points plus system. I have red that 40cal = 1 points plus. So I have been using this formula to compare between programs. Do you think this is accurate? Currently I have my goal at 1990 cals a 1lbs a week. Just want to loose 5 pounds and get back to my 165 goal weight. Has there been some other WW members who switched to MFP?

Thanks everyone (:

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    I am from Australia, and assuming the formula for propoints is the same globally, I had calculated that 1pp equalled approx 40cals for food and drink. The conversion for exercise was a bit more complex and it was estimated that 1 exercise point was approx 100 calories burned.

Don't do your head in trying to convert WW to a calorie counting program, it won't work because fruit and veg are not counted so there could be a lot of fruit and veg that now gets included in your calorie count but not included in daily points allowance.

Try first using the calorie allowance given by MFP, set for moderate weight loss (1lb or less), be realistic with incidental activity levels, eat back some exercise calories.
  • jgaffney86
    jgaffney86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for that! Im really likeing this database alot better also than the WW one.

Also, do you have any fav websites where you get recipies and food/meal plans off besides the blog here?
  • HollyMarie0595
    HollyMarie0595 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm new to mfp too. I did ww in the past successfully and lost 40lbs. But since the program changed to points plus it doesn't seem to work for me. I will lose 2lbs in the first week and stay steady or gain through out the program (I've tried 3 times now). In the ww community chats Alot of people talk about mfp so I thought I'd give it a try. Plus it's free and the app is much easier to work with already I find.
  • jgaffney86
    Options
    Yeah I heard people talking about it also. How long have you been on this program now? MFP I mean
  • FlynLass
    FlynLass Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been a Lifetime member of WW since 1975... have used eTools off and on for many years, but my weight has crept back up. When WW changed their eTools recently, I didn't like it - and didn't like paying $20/month for a tool I didn't like. My son mentioned MFP to me about two weeks ago, and I remembered that it connected with my Garmin Vivofit, so I'm here. Love the data base (way better than WW, I think) and was ready for something different than PointsPlus.
  • jgaffney86
    Options
    FlynLass

Thanks for the comment :) . I am in the same point. Im a very techy person and the new site and etools are just errible and not worth my money. How has this program been so far for you? Does it still give you the freedom to eat out and such? I did like the 49 weekly points. I feel if I can look at this from a weekly perspective for calories I should be okay in that area.

Also another question. Articles like this....

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/meat-grain-burgers/

What type of beef do they use? 94%? 90%? I have found other blogs like this that don't list the fat percentages.
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I did WW for a short while but quit because this database is much wider. Plus it's free so this was just working out better for me.
  • jgaffney86
    Options
    Another question I was thinking of is there filling foods list. I know one of the items was 93% beef was a filling food. Does this technically mean 90% isnt as filling? To me....all a filling food can be is something with lots of a fiber and protein and low on carbs and fat. I would like to buy 90 instead of 93......93 is more expensive lol.
  • Anne_Nic
    Anne_Nic Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did WW for awhile. I decided to make the switch because I need to track all of my food. WW has too many fruits and veggies be free, but I need to limit some of them due to a kidney disease.
  • myflaws
    myflaws Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm from WW too it's cool to see so many ppl that have had that same experience. I lost 30 on WW in about 4 months l. But I decided to come back to MFP because gained some weight back and I had lost 20 on it before and of course it's FREE lol always a plus.
    Feel free to add me anyone
    :)
  • sherrybomb71
    sherrybomb71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on ww since may 1. I've lost 25lb and feel great. I haven't had any success in the last 6 weeks tho. Thought I'd check this app out. It seems much better than the ww app already, plus its free. I found a tops group a few blocks from my house, $36 dollars a year!!! Ww is $68 a month!! I'm thinking about switching to that and using this app!! I would save a ton of money as well as switching things up a bit. Also, one woman at WW can be quite rude and in your face if you don't lose or if u gained. I'm NOT paying for that!!
  • shirleyann2013
    shirleyann2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers adjusts their points to encourage you to eat healthier food. The calories - points are not equivalents. They encourage you to eat more fiber, less fat and sugar and fewer white carbs. Just choose healthy food: more fruits and vegetables, stay away from sugar and eat healthy carbs and lean meats and you can use this data base easily. You can also keep track of your sugar, carbs, protein etc yourself. Weight Watchers is for people who cannot think.
  • jgaffney86
    Options
    Sherrybomb71,

Are you serious what would the lady do when you didn't loose weight? lol. That's ridiculous. What they do with there body and food is there business...there just there to help the process lol.

Also....on lean meats. What percentage do you guys typically use for beef? I would love to buy 90% beef as its cheaper and I can buy it in bulk. I have been getting the 94% from wegmans. WW has tought me that the leanest meats will help keep you full. is 90 from 94 percent a big difference? Im searched google and the forums but I can't really seem to find a solid answer on this.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers with great success in the past. The difference I have found here is that I am actually learning about my macros and the amount of calories in things I didn't worry about before. Fruits and vegetables have calories...some have high calories. I've learned quite a bit more about how my carbs, fats and proteins can affect the way I feel. Low protein = low energy at the gym for me. With weight watchers, it would have been harder to figure that out. My suggestion is to break free from the WW points and use the MFP system - you'll be glad you did and you'll see some real results.
  • jgaffney86
    Options
    I have been using MVP for 2 weeks not and I already like it better. In fact, I canceled my WW subscription last Friday. They are going thru a website overhall right now and its a disaster.

Can someone please answer my above question on the beef?
  • bcjan562
    bcjan562 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cancelled my WW membership tonight!!
    I use extra lean beef, which is 95%. Can't eat anything less now, I find it too greasy.
    Also, you may pay less for 90% but it cooks down to less volume because of all of the extra added fat.
    Use extra lean but use a smaller portion.