How much did you gain on your first bulk?

Options
I've been bulking for the last 6 months, and have put on 10lbs. I've noticed some nice muscular development, and I can still see my upper abs when I flex, but the fat gain around my lower abs and side obliques is bothering me a bit.

Originally I wanted to go for 20lbs of total gain, followed by a cut, but I fear that another 10lbs of weight gain will really push me into the chub-zone.

How much weight did you put on during your first bulk? How much did you take off during your subsequent cut?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I bulked for 24 months and put on 50 pounds of weight. I will be cutting 35 pounds and should end up leaner than when I started.

I started immediately after a bodybuilding competition, so some of my initial gain was most likely water weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I bulked for 4.5 months, gained 10 lbs, cut maybe 3lbs or so. My first was a very small and modest bulk, next time around hoping to go at it a little longer
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    There's really no need to gain more than double your goal. That is, if you want to gain 5 pounds of muscle, there's no need to gain more than 10 pounds. Keep in mind that you're unlikely to gain more than 2 pounds of muscle per month (assuming you're not a complete beginner), so gaining more than 5 pounds per month is unproductive.

That's not to say that you can't get fatter if you want (some people who can easily cut like to, and it's not hard around this time of year), but it's not doing anything to help you gain more muscle.
  • ServeJesus2008
    ServeJesus2008 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    For me on bulking so far for two week i gained about 1-2 lbs
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    5'7"male - Was 145, bulked to 165 with great results! Then continued bulking hoping results would still be good to 185 and realized I got fat (aka 'dreamer bulk' :/ ).
    Cut back to 165, currently going for 155 before another (slow and controlled) bulk.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    135 to 190 recomp post spine fusion (scoliosis). Currently around 175-178 right now. I miss a couple meals and drop ridiculously fast. #foreverbulkmode
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I gained 17lbs over 5 months and was subsequently able to drop this off again over a 3.5 month cutting phase. I didn't beat myself up too much over the weight gain as my strength was through the roof and I wasn't fatiguing as much as when cutting. A bit of fluff around the mid section is to be expexted and as long as you aren't gaining super fast then enjoy it. Cutting will roll around soon enough!
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I gained 15kg/33lbs over a year and 8 months with most of that being done from November of last year to September of this year when I had the calories at 4,000. My body fat was very low to being with so the fat that I did add on along with the muscle didn't bother me too much. I switched over to maintaining/recomping after it which I'm still doing as I liked the extra mass on me and just want to slowly lose some of the body fat that was built up.
  • ItsQueenReen
    ItsQueenReen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @B2point0 When u get some free time, you should read this thread; give u some help on ur gainz
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I started immediately after a bodybuilding competition, so some of my initial gain was most likely water weight.

Going through that now. I've put on 11 pounds since Oct 1st, when I started to reverse out of a 26 pound cut. I was eating around 2200 kcals at the END of the cut, (started at around 2400, with zero cardio aside from farmers carries) and now I'm only up to ~2700kcals which is what I figured to be a bit below maintenance for me.

Or maybe my metabolism slowed waaaayy down during the cut and I've added calories in too quick? I initially increased by 100/week. I'm continuing to watch my intake in order to find a new maintenance before bulk #2 begins... (ANY SUGGESTIONS?)

As for the OP's Q -- I bulked last year from Oct 1 - Feb 15th and went from 15%bf to 24%bf gaining 19lbs. Personally, I wish I would have done a leaner bulk the first time around or waited to start at a lower bf%, but I had success with the size gains. Just made for a longer cut.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Going through that now. I've put on 11 pounds since Oct 1st, when I started to reverse out of a 26 pound cut. I was eating around 2200 kcals at the END of the cut, (started at around 2400, with zero cardio aside from farmers carries) and now I'm only up to ~2700kcals which is what I figured to be a bit below maintenance for me.

Or maybe my metabolism slowed waaaayy down during the cut and I've added calories in too quick? I initially increased by 100/week. I'm continuing to watch my intake in order to find a new maintenance before bulk #2 begins... (ANY SUGGESTIONS?)

As for the OP's Q -- I bulked last year from Oct 1 - Feb 15th and went from 15%bf to 24%bf gaining 19lbs. Personally, I wish I would have done a leaner bulk the first time around or waited to start at a lower bf%, but I had success with the size gains. Just made for a longer cut.

If you're trying to do a lean bulk I'd suggest sending a message to @LolBroScience because he lean bulked like a pro.
  • sjohnson__1
    Options

If you're trying to do a lean bulk I'd suggest sending a message to @LolBroScience because he lean bulked like a pro.

Kyle definitely knows his stuff. He's a friend, I have a good understanding I'm just curious as to why I may be adding weight at such few calories (for me). I'm under the impression my metabolism is likely to have slowed down, though. So, the best I can do is keep tracking, reassess, and go from there! Thanks!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Kyle definitely knows his stuff. He's a friend, I have a good understanding I'm just curious as to why I may be adding weight at such few calories (for me). I'm under the impression my metabolism is likely to have slowed down, though. So, the best I can do is keep tracking, reassess, and go from there! Thanks!

Do you have the data to look at?

Changes in routine? Less volume now? Less NEAT expenditure?
  • sjohnson__1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Change in routine certainly has occurred. I'm going through another change now though so I'll have to continue to adjust. I don't mind adding weight, I'll just have to monitor to ensure I do so in small increments. NEAT expenditure has stayed pretty consistent.