Food Scale

Options
2»

Replies

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont - Lol - no, wasn't responding to you, but your reply was included when I hit "quote" (I use the app, so it's kind of inconvenient to try to clean up content).

I used the example of olive oil because I use a variety of different types from different parts of the world. There is a significant difference in the density between some of them depending on how they're processed etc, so 5 grams of one type does not equal a different type when considering the volume, which has an impact if I need a specific volume for baking. I guess it's more of an OCD thing with me mL - liquids, grams - solids than anything else as MFP doesn't have the oils I use in the database anyway and I have to use the generic entries lol.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    We have a Sohnle digital scale. It does metric and English measurements. It was kind of expensive but we like it. We had a different model Sohnle (that I broke :/ ) that we liked better because of a minor difference in the design.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont - Lol - no, wasn't responding to you, but your reply was included when I hit "quote" (I use the app, so it's kind of inconvenient to try to clean up content).

I used the example of olive oil because I use a variety of different types from different parts of the world. There is a significant difference in the density between some of them depending on how they're processed etc, so 5 grams of one type does not equal a different type when considering the volume, which has an impact if I need a specific volume for baking. I guess it's more of an OCD thing with me mL - liquids, grams - solids than anything else as MFP doesn't have the oils I use in the database anyway and I have to use the generic entries lol.

Oh, OK. I guess I'm not as cosmopolitan in my oils :) I mostly stick with olive, and a back-up like canola, corn, or Smart Balance for higher temperature cooking or when I want a more neutral flavor.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    This is the scale I use: Eat Smart Precision Elite Digital Kitchen Scale

713Q3SBHtkL._SY355_.jpg

I used to use one of the less expensive basic digital scales and it worked FINE....I upgraded to this one because it has a wider platform to accommodate larger dishes and it has a larger display screen for my aging eyes. LOL. I use measuring cups and spoons mostly for liquids or for recipes.

I second this one. I have weighed out crockpot recipes in it, including the removable inner (heavy) crock.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I've had the same digital scale from Walmart for at least 7 years. Granted, it hasn't actually been used during all 7 of those years, but it's survived moving, being jammed in cabinets, having old batteries in it for far too long, and a couple years' worth of actual daily use. It was $20, and it still weighs nickels correctly! It doesn't even have a brand name on it. Just buy whatever as long as it is digital and not too expensive.