Eating after 7pm

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eating at a certain time will have no appreciable impact on weight loss. What will, is adherence - so eat when you want to and in a way that gives you the most energy, especially for gym performance.

I eat most of my calories within an hour or two of going to bed and often eat ice cream in bed about 20 minutes before going to sleep.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency and timing are purely preferential. Find something that allows you to stay within your calorie deficit and still eat foods you enjoy.

qft

I agree
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    when you eat if you dont have time to burn what you ate, it turns to fat. The "myth " is not a myth. Eating before bed leaves food with no acticivity to burn it for energy werareas eating during the day or early evenoing, we do things, like walking, doing the dishes requires more energy than sleeping. This is the biggest myth myth on MFP that is wrong it does matter! Also, our bodies use light to give off hormones such as melatonin ect at certain times, eating during the night or not sleeping at night throw all of these out or whack.

Fat storage and fat oxidation are happening constantly. The only thing that matters is net balance. Given the same overall intake there is no difference.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat after 7 p.m. every.damn.night.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    when you eat if you dont have time to burn what you ate, it turns to fat. The "myth " is not a myth. Eating before bed leaves food with no acticivity to burn it for energy werareas eating during the day or early evenoing, we do things, like walking, doing the dishes requires more energy than sleeping. This is the biggest myth myth on MFP that is wrong it does matter! Also, our bodies use light to give off hormones such as melatonin ect at certain times, eating during the night or not sleeping at night throw all of these out or whack.

Ummm...no.

You are still burning fuel when sleeping. If you did not, it would mean you were dead.

Plus you need to look at net fat oxidation for the whole day, not just a small part of the day.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't shut off and stop burning calories after 7..
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are you a Mogwai?

tumblr_lgatecdPrY1qgq4hio1_500.gif
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    So just disregard being in a caloric deficit. Please go. So I'll be in a 2000 caloric deficit but god forbid I eat something after 7.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I like how the Livestrong article mentions watching tv twice. I think that may be the culprit! I get off work at 6:00, never have dinner before 7:00 and almost always have a snack and a glass of wine right before bed. However, I *don't* sit around watching tv! I don't eat mindlessly and I log everything I eat. Works for me.
  • Eandretta96
    Options

Ummm...no.

You are still burning fuel when sleeping. If you did not, it would mean you were dead.

Plus you need to look at net fat oxidation for the whole day, not just a small part of the day.
    This.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference when you eat.
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    So just disregard being in a caloric deficit. So I'll be in a 2000 caloric deficit but god forbid I eat something after 7.

Please go.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

gremlins-perfect-pet-op-ed-mtv-geek-gif.gif

tim of the day doesn't matter. it doesn't have an effect on your progress.

however if you eat within an eating window (intermittent fasting) it can speed things along.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

damn it joy... you took the gifs right outs my brain!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Good points.

Oops, I meant to say that you are completely ignorant.

Best of luck.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I really want to watch Gremlins now...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Good points.

HAHAHA

Oops, I meant to say that you are completely ignorant.

Best of luck.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

damn it joy... you took the gifs right outs my brain!

You must be faster young grasshopper...I'm da gif meister :P

tumblr_lnenq9aQOO1qey6nyo1_500.gif
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I ate after 7 p.m. one night... and this is what happened to me.

tumblr_mmodr2ook41s6q4g2o1_500.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it depends on if you want to go into starvation mode or not ...

eating after 7pm will cause starvation mode = very bad...

Oh and the intestine shut down at 9pm....so don't drink water either....