Former chubber - dropped 8 stone. Bulk or cut? Help!

Options
Hi, so 2 years ago i used to weigh 20st ( 127kg ) i now weigh 12st (76 kg) i done this by mixing cardio eating at a deficit. Last 6 months ive been lifting more.

My PT at my gym advised me to clean bulk for 3 months untill end of feburary and then cut again for the summer.

Here are my stats:

Weight .. 76kg
Height .. 5ft 10
Body fat: See picture, got it tested by PT

http://imgur.com/z5B83rA

Pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/ClhuH

Should i bulk or keep cutting?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The other option is find your maintenance calories and recomp - lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. At age 21 and with what sounds like limited history of lifting you are primed to gain muscle pretty easily.

What are your ultimate goals?
    Can't see your pictures at work - what is your BF% estimate?
  • Ben2055
    Ben2055 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The other option is find your maintenance calories and recomp - lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. At age 21 and with what sounds like limited history of lifting you are primed to gain muscle pretty easily.

What are your ultimate goals?
    Can't see your pictures at work - what is your BF% estimate?

Hi mate thanks for the repy do neither links work?
  • Ben2055
    Options
    Links should work now. First is few pictures this morning. Second is a body fat test from a pt
  • Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    the links work he just cant see them at his work.
    i agree with his advice and monitor your results
  • Ben2055
    Options
    Im more inclined to either bulk or cut :/ what wouldnyou say woukd be the next step going forward? Im going for an aesthrtic type body. In the long run haha
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ben2055 wrote: »
    Im more inclined to either bulk or cut :/ what wouldnyou say woukd be the next step going forward? Im going for an aesthrtic type body. In the long run haha

My work firewall blocks your links.
    Well worth a read.....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Hi, so 2 years ago i used to weigh 20st ( 127kg ) i now weigh 12st (76 kg) i done this by mixing cardio eating at a deficit. Last 6 months ive been lifting more.

My PT at my gym advised me to clean bulk for 3 months untill end of feburary and then cut again for the summer.

Here are my stats:

Weight .. 76kg
    Height .. 5ft 10
    Body fat: See picture, got it tested by PT

z5B83rA

Pictures:

ClhuH

Should i bulk or keep cutting?

• msf74
    Options
    Looks like your links are either blocked or broken.

That said, I agree with your PT. Bulk for a few months and then cut. You will look awesome by the time next summer comes around if that is your thing...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    not sure I agree with the 6% calculation your PT did, but based on your pictures I would put you at sub around 10% or lower body fat.

Yes, you can run a bulk and would benefit from it.

I would suggest a surplus of 250 calories and get on a structured lifting program.

what does your PT mean by "clean bulk"…?
  • Ben2055
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    not sure I agree with the 6% calculation your PT did, but based on your pictures I would put you at sub around 10% or lower body fat.

Yes, you can run a bulk and would benefit from it.

I would suggest a surplus of 250 calories and get on a structured lifting program.

what does your PT mean by "clean bulk"…?

Hey mate! Yeh i was unsure about that number as i thiught i wiuld be shredded at 6% but he does it for competitive bodybuilders so i guess hes reliable.

I need more mass dont i? Then when i cut back id be in better shape? Umm i beleive he means eating at a surplus but eating clean foods. So defintely bulk correct?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think your choices she be bulk or maintain (recomp), not bulk or cut. You've done great work and you could benefit from at least a deficit break.

You said you've been lifting for 7 months? What is your program like?
  • Ben2055
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I think your choices she be bulk or maintain (recomp), not bulk or cut. You've done great work and you could benefit from at least a deficit break.

Well...i have but its been pretty poor. Over last 2 months ive implemebted a structured program off arms chest shoulders and back and abs. With an hiur cardio each day.

So when i say lifted; i havent had a well structed lifting program
  • arditarose
    Options

Well...i have but its been pretty poor. Over last 2 months ive implemebted a structured program off arms chest shoulders and back and abs. With an hiur cardio each day.

Okay. First things first then. Get on a well structured lifting program and at least out of a deficit.

• Ben2055
    Options

Okay. First things first then. Get on a well structured lifting program and at least out of a deficit.

Okay! So i definetely am not too fat stilll tht i need to cut correct?
  • arditarose
    Options

If I were you, I would not keep cutting. No. Great work.
  • msf74
    Options

It is likely that you will gain some fat along with muscle during your bulk. This will be mostly governed by your genetics but the size of your surplus can also have a big impact.

Therefore to achieve your desired physique it is usual for for a short-ish cut after the bulk is completed.
  • Ben2055
    Options
    Ok ill do a 3 month bulk then cut after and carry on the process ubtill i acheieve my desired physique:)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I would put you at around 11-12%. I would think you could do a successful recomp or a bulk. Whichever you prefer. With newb gains, I would probably suggest a recomp for a few months, but mainly cause it would be my preference. No other real reason.
  • Ben2055
    Options
    Ok guys thankyou for all your help and input! Im gonna start a clean bulk for 3 months and a structured lifting program with my PT then cut again for may/june!