Calorie Deficit

Options
I was reading in another thread about calorie deficits and mfp's recommend daily caloric intake. Someone mentioned 1200 calories per day isn't ideal unless you're pretty elderly and petite. I'm 5'3" and not elderly by any means, so I don't really qualify for that. Mfp has suggested a rate of 1200 per day for me and I understand that is just basic math based on what I'd like to achieve, not necessarily based on what's best or most healthy for me. My question is: I've been clean eating and finding it rather easy to stay at 1200 a day without feeling tired or hungry. On weekends, I tend to relax my eating habits a bit since hubby and I like to eat out sometimes. Would this plan be helpful or harmful in terms of both weightloss and overall health? I don't go crazy with the off days. I just want to make sure I'm not under eating and thus making it harder on my body to lose weight and keep it off in a healthy way.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you eat a bit more than goal you should see a weight loss a bit smaller than goal, if the maths works.

If you don't like 1200 you have to set a more relaxed rate of weight loss, or add in a bit more exercise to get more calories allocated.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    They put me at 1200 even though I'm male. I'm not looking to make gains at the gym. Some people were telling me that 1200 calories is too small but I'm fine with 1200 calories as my goal. I don't feel tired or anything.