Sodium numbers

So, I am on my third day of MFP just looking at my numbers to see how they shake out and the one that is jumping out at me is Sodium. This is the only number I am going over on in my regular diet. I had no idea how much Sodium there is in certain foods. This is one I will watch.

Replies

• BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Yeah, sodium is crazy. I'm on a "sort of low " sodium diet (doctor says less than 2,000 mg). I have to watch everything!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    How active are you? Active people can generally eat more sodium. I tend to get around 5K per day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    See where the big sodium bombs are and look if there are lower sodium alternatives. Roast your own beef or turkey breast and slice it for lunch meat instead of buying deli meat, use more single herbs and spices instead of adding salt or salt-laden seasonings and sauces (for example, taco seasoning is about 2000 mg per packet but mixing your own with chili powder; onion and garlic powders; cumin; paprika; and oregano will be a whopping 14 mg!)

Generally, if you are healthy, you don't need to worry nearly as much but it wouldn't hurt to cut down some if you are concerned.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yep - cut down on processed foods, and that number will come WAY down!!