I'm a little frustrated

Options
Maribel_1986
Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
Hello Everyone,
I have been watching my calories (1440 per day) and I have been going to the gym, lifting weights (3-4 days a week) and doing cardio (3 days a week). Today I burned a significant amount of calories playing racquetball with my friends. My issue is, instead of losing weight I'm slowly gaining weight! I weigh myself only on Saturdays and its so frustrating watching the scale climb up every week. Do you guys think I'm doing something wrong? Any help will be appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It would help if your diary was open. Are you drinking enough water? Are you watching your sodium? It could be a number of reasons.
  • Maribel_1986
    Options
    I've been averaging anywhere from half a gallon to 1 gallon of water per day. I tend to drink more water on days I work out.
  • djman1967
    djman1967 Posts: 14
    Options
    Are you measuring your inches?? If not, start. And use that as your guide. Forget about the weight, just worry about the inches. If you are in deficit, the inches will come off. Would have to look at your food intake to tell you more. Additionally, are you cheating on your food? A little treat here and there can add up big time especially if it is the wrong kind of calories. Anyway, best of luck to you.
  • djman1967
    Options
    And, I agree with the other poster that it would help if your diary was open. You look pretty good in your picture!
  • _G4BR13L_
    _G4BR13L_ Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I usually do the same thing, but weight might not be the issue. Gaining muscle and losing fat increases your weight. After working out your muscles absorb water increasing your weight. If you are keeping your totals down you might need to increase your calories to feed your muscles and help burn more fat.
  • Maribel_1986
    Options
    Are you measuring your inches?? If not, start. And use that as your guide. Forget about the weight, just worry about the inches. If you are in deficit, the inches will come off. Would have to look at your food intake to tell you more. Additionally, are you cheating on your food? A little treat here and there can add up big time especially if it is the wrong kind of calories. Anyway, best of luck to you.

No i'm not measuring myself. Maybe I should start doing that. Thank you
  • djman1967
    Options
    Measuring the inches is the best measurement. Keep in mind, that possibly around your period, or with too much salt intake, you may retain water at certain times, but if you are measuring, you will start to see patterns and not get discouraged when the inches fluctuate a bit, because they will. Anyway, all the best!!=)
  • Maribel_1986
    Options
    Measuring the inches is the best measurement. Keep in mind, that possibly around your period, or with too much salt intake, you may retain water at certain times, but if you are measuring, you will start to see patterns and not get discouraged when the inches fluctuate a bit, because they will. Anyway, all the best!!=)

Thank you
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i do cardio 7 days a week
    60 minutes daily
    and no w eight lifting
  • Maribel_1986
    Options
    i do cardio 7 days a week
    60 minutes daily
    and no w eight lifting

I weight lift because I was told it would help me burn more fat and improve my strength.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It could easily be muscle gain that is causing the scale to go in the wrong direction. Like others had said focus on the body composition and less on the scale when you are doing weight training. If you are losing inches in the right places then its working. Also the diet and mix of protein/carb/fat etc is very critical too, so share your diary with your friends and you might get some good suggestions there as well. Keep up the great work!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The tape measure is good. I like pictures.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Definitely measure and take pictures. I wasn't losing much weight but when I measured, I found out I had lost an inch or two from everywhere except for arms.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The tape measure is good. I like pictures.
    This. I started taking weekly pictures when I started doing Insanity, and it makes it very clear when you're losing, even if it can be hard to see in the numbers (I have trouble getting the tape in exactly the same place every time, so it causes some slight variation).
  • elispeli
    elispeli Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You could be building muscle :)