Running Cramp

When I was running the past 2 days, I had to stop at the 25 min mark because i was getting a cramp in the bottom arch of my foot. What could this be caused by?

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Char231023 wrote: »
    When I was running the past 2 days, I had to stop at the 25 min mark because i was getting a cramp in the bottom arch of my foot. What could this be caused by?

Shoes too tight, probably (or laced too tightly), unless you're maybe clenching your toes a bit inside your shoes.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    That happened to me when I started running again back in January. I tried different shoes and messed with the laces. I believe the actual cause we me doing too much too soon. I tried to pick up from where I left off several years earlier. I also focused on landing on my mid-foot more and I believe that helped as well.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    peleroja wrote: »

Shoes too tight, probably (or laced too tightly), unless you're maybe clenching your toes a bit inside your shoes.

I'm going to say likely this. I know I'm prone to this. Or doing too much too soon or too fast. or needing properly fitted shoes or new shoes. I guess there are a lot of reason why this could happen.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Possibly PF - plantar fasciitis. Google it, very common for runners. One of my favorite treatments - roll foot on frozen water bottle after jogs, and in the morning. Also the Stairstep heal drop stretch feels wonderful.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited November 2015

One possibility is dehydration and/or too much sodium. Also not enough arch movement during the day, from wearing overly supportive shoes or not walking enough.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Thanks!
  • adrianacookxctf
    adrianacookxctf Posts: 4 Member
    I have ran for many many years and I would consider myself a very avid runner. I had the exact same problem when I started cross country season.

One explanation could be your shoes! Mine weren't supportive enough. Once I switched to a more-stable shoe, the problem slowly but surely went away. I still get aches here and there but nothing to cause me to stop during a run. Be careful with this though, because sometimes TOO much support can be just as harmful. Gotta find a happy medium!! Tying/lacing your shoes too tightly could be a contributor as well.

In addition to trying some of these and what other people have suggested, I'll share with you one of the "exercises" my trainer had me do to strengthen the arch of my foot for future prevention:
    - Stand with feet flat on the ground, place a pen laying longways under your toes on the foot that bothers you. Proceed to try to "grip" the pen using your toes. Repeat that a few times. It should cause you to have to work your arch a little bit when you have to "scrunch" up your toes to pick up the pen!

Hope that helped, cheers from a fellow runner :)