Fat in foods

Options
I swear, no matter what I do my fat is always at or over what I'm allowed each day. I haven't even had dinner yet and my fat is 2 over already. I'm not eating horribly and a lot of the numbers seems exaggerated. My tuna wrap had 32g of fat? I just dont see that, it was tuna, wrap and onion. And everyone tells me that Almonds are good for you ect, I use them as a snack and munch through out the day but again, they are a huge fat factor. Does fat intake matter that much and does anyone have better snack ideas? feel free to browse my journal but I tend to eat about the same thing daily.

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you are already getting healthy fats from fish, then I wouldn't suggest snacking on almonds. Try fat free yogurt or cottage cheese with no added salt and high fiber crispbread or fruit. Try to stay away from snacks that contain fat, if you are already getting enough. And the amount of tuna they put in a wrap with the mayo would really shock you if you saw them make your sandwich. I suggest making your own tuna sandwich at home if its possible with low fat mayo and bringing it to work.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The nuts are fine. Maybe you could cut back on the whole egg and try egg whites or 1 eggwhite and one whole mixed togeher to cut some fat out. I like Egg Beaters.

The tostitos are also a fat factor. I've used won ton wrappers and toasted them any way I want them seasoned.

The lunches like wendy's and the wraps are high. Would you be able to make those yourself? You would save a lot there too.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Oh, and fate intake matters A LOT!!!!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Almonds are good for you and are supposed to help you lose weight but they are high in fat and calories. You can't munch on them throughout the day, you have to limit yourself to about 14 or so. I have yet to find a snack other than celery, carrots, etc. that aren't high in calories. Pickles are low calorie but high in sodium. Fruit is high in calories and carbs so you also need to watch how much you eat. One thing that I miss is being able to snack throughout the day but it is worth it not to if you can be thin and healthy!

The things I watch most are fat content and calories and I was able to lose and am maintaining with that. As for the tuna wrap, if the tuna had mayo or salad dressing in that is high in fat and the tortilla was probably high in fat and calories. (Wheat ones may be less but they're still quite high in calories.) Watch your salad dressings when you have salads because they are high in fat also. I try to use ones that are less than 5 g per serving.

For snacks, try celery, carrots, califlower, (vegetables in general) and low fat popcorn (minibags are great). Good luck!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The subway tuna salad has a lot of mayonnaise in it. It is probably why there is such a high fat content in that meal.
  • wolverinefactor
    Options
    Thanks guys. Some of my food diary is wonky because I'm lazy to figure things out. I didn't buy the tuna wrap from subway, it was from a local deli and it contains very little mayo per my request. And I only take a handful of Almonds to work and split them up to fill in as a snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and time to leave. Most of the time I'm not hungry but just munch anyway to fill in the cals because I tend to be under every day and I can't eat what I burn during exercise.

My friend said to not really count the fat in tuna/chicken as the protein counter balances it out in the end. I'm aiming for high protein anyway (hence the eggs) as I'm trying to tone up and build more muscle.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Fat from whole foods like dairy, almonds, salmon, avocados, and olive oil is good for you so long as you're staying within a proper calorie balance everyday.

Our bodies NEED fat and it is beneficial to a healthy body.