Left Over Turkey

Options
So I'm going grocery shopping this weekend for the next 2 weeks or so. With all the leftover turkey that I'll have after Thanksgiving next week, what are everyone's favorite ways to use it up. If you have recipes please post them so I can buy ingredients accordingly!

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I always make a stock with the carcass, then I use the leftover turkey to make croquettes, soup, turkey pot pie, and if I have more it goes onto pita pizzas (BBQ, Thai peanut, or w/marinara), in homemade freezer burritos, in quesadillas, and just on salads.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I can use it pretty much anywhere I would use chicken. Burritos and quesadillas are delicious :)

I also buy refrigerated pie crust (the kind you roll out), cut it into circles and stuff with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce to make Thanksgiving meat pies (pasty).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I set aside any white meat not eaten and if they are big whole chunks they will make a recipe all their own.

I shred and chop the rest of the dark meat and bag it in Ziplocs for the freezer.

The bones are great roasted (350 degrees for twenty minutes) then put in a slow cooker with water, onion, and celery. Strain the stock the next morning, and let it cool in the fridge overnight. Skim off the hardened fat that has floated to the top. You now have an abundance of stock for dozens of recipes.

For the turkey, try an Alfredo or a Carbonera. Use lower fat cheese, and about half the cheese called for.

So the spare ingredients I would have on hand would be onion, garlic, celery, olive oil, eggs, Parmesan cheese, low fat Philadelphia cream cheese or laughing cow wedges, quark (instead of cream), unsalted butter, bacon, fettuccine noodles, bread crumbs, and bow tie noodles.

Spices include pepper and parsley.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463849643545/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463846253545/
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I also make stock -- pints and pints of stock -- from the turkey carcase, but my favorite thing to do with the leftover meat is to make Turkey Tetrazzini. Not exactly lo-cal, but: Absolutely. Delicious.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    2 slices rye bread
    several slices left over turkey
    left over stuffing (dressing)
    left over gravy (yes it is almost a solid, that will be fixed)
    2 slices swiss cheese

Pop the pile into the microwave and nuke until the cheese melts.
    Eat as an open faced sandwich.

Stock is also mandatory. gotta use that carcass
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Turkey sandwiches with bread and butter pickles are my favorite. I also make creamed turkey a little milk butter and flour made into a sauce throw the turkey in and let it heat up. May not be super healthy but it is good!!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I thought of another staple; cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup for casseroles.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Turkey mole is a fave here. You can buy bottled sauce if you don't know how to make a quick mole sauce. I don't know the nutrition info on the bottled sauce, but it's got to be around the same as BBQ. Eat it with just the sauce or also with corn tortillas, maybe some cheese, and shredded cabbage is good. Mole sauce has chocolate in it. What's not to love?

Turkey hash is awesome. But I think a big part of the awesomeness is that we smoke our turkey. Turkey, potatoes, onions, maybe bell peppers. Some grated romano or parmesean adds a strong yummy flavor for surprisingly few calories (because you don't need much).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Stock, for sure!!

Casseroles, pot pies...there are loads of recipes out there. :)
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like to use them for sandwiches. My mom sometimes makes a soup with them too
  • jgnatca
    Options
    For sandwiches, would mayonnaise be on the list then?
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Turkey noodle soup, Turkey Tetrazzini, hot turkey sandwiches.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yum these are all amazing idea's!!!! Thanks everyone!
  • wearmi1
    Options
    I can use it pretty much anywhere I would use chicken. Burritos and quesadillas are delicious :)

I also buy refrigerated pie crust (the kind you roll out), cut it into circles and stuff with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce to make Thanksgiving meat pies (pasty).

I especially love the idea of the little pies! Never thought of that but I'm going to try it now!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I use most of it in a stew and usually reserve some for sandwiches. I use the carcass to make my own stock.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Use leftover turkey in these enchiladas instead of chicken: http://www.annies-eats.com/2010/02/15/chicken-enchiladas/
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    For sandwiches, would mayonnaise be on the list then?

I do put mayo on mine (usually an organic mayo) but just a little bit. I also put on some lettuce and stuff too.
  • wearmi1
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Use leftover turkey in these enchiladas instead of chicken: http://www.annies-eats.com/2010/02/15/chicken-enchiladas/

Yum!!!!!!!!!!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    We have a win!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I make a bunch of different soups and turkey pot pie filling. I also made these last year and they were yummy!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/11/turkey-santa-fe-lettuce-wraps.html