Daily weigh inn peeps I have a question

Options
I weigh in daily every morning around the same time in the same clothing none before getting dressed for the gym. My question is what can make my weight fluctuate 3 sometimes 4lbs at a time? I feel my average is way off because of this fact and I just can't figure out what is happening? Anyone else have this problem?

*Yes those none weigh in people I completely understand my weight fluctuates that why you don't weigh in daily.

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, I think you know the answer hence the bottom part? I weigh as often as I can so I understand your mentality, but if I've not erm.... been to do my business (sorry) that morning I can be 2 lbs heavier, true story!! My advice, weight everyother day or after you have. .... you know!!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    If you are going to weigh daily you really should chart it daily so you can see the trend line. That's what is important. Plenty of phone apps for this. I use Libra.
    3jc2hvtonvof.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The amount of food in your system and the amount of water you're retaining is going to be different each day. This doesn't make your average "way off" -- this IS your average. The fact that we usually weigh something different each day is why we should pay attention to the average, not the daily weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sodium intake. New/increased exercise. Hormones, especially around ovulation or TOM. Stress. Those can all cause water weight to increase. It's normal for everyone, so look at the trend over 1-3 months rather than daily or weekly.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm an everyday weigher. My weight can jump up/down by up to 4 pounds in one day, but mostly stays within about a 2 pound range. I use the app Libra to track my trend, and that helps not get over-excited about the fluctuations.

As for the reason, I think water retention, the amount of glycogen in my muscles, and how much food is in my belly all play a part. For instance, if I have a particularly rigorous work out one day, I usually see a bump up the next morning (muscles storing extra glycogen to repair). When I take a day off of exercising, I usually see a bit of a drop the next day. And of course TOM can make the scale go crazy :)
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Weigh the same time in the morning, Wearing the exact same thing as well before Drinking anything or eating anything.

Good Luck
    Roger
    88672520.png
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    If you are going to weigh daily you really should chart it daily so you can see the trend line. That's what is important. Plenty of phone apps for this. I use Libra.
    3jc2hvtonvof.jpg

I do use a program that is why I weigh daily. I also weigh after my business in the morning I normally have to go right after I get up. I do the same routine daily.
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi
    Weigh the same time in the morning, Wearing the exact same thing as well before Drinking anything or eating anything.

Good Luck
    Roger
    88672520.png

I do that every morning.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi

Good Luck
    Roger
    88672520.png

Did you read the OP? She stated that she does all of what you posted.
  • GibsonGirl55
    GibsonGirl55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning at 186 lbs. Went for my morning walk, burned off 1,172 calories after walking 3.64 miles. Weighed myself afterwards--184 lbs. Do I do my happy dance and log this in MFP? Or should I just stay with the the 186 lbs. that I logged at check-in this morning?
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    I should say I use WeightGrapher. e7fawlqivz2s.jpeg
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning at 186 lbs. Went for my morning walk, burned off 1,172 calories after walking 3.64 miles. Weighed myself afterwards--184 lbs. Do I do my happy dance and log this in MFP? Or should I just stay with the the 186 lbs. that I logged at check-in this morning?

Normally daily weigh inners weigh in at the same time every morning. Not after a workout because you can fluctuate after a workout.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I use an app too. It actually calms me more than weighing once a week because I like seeing the trend staying on a downward shift. If I did it only once a week and that happened to be the day I was retaining water it would discourage me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Salt has a huge influence. A period can easily Jack the weight up four pounds. New (or extra-strenuous) exercise can add a few pounds. Flying can add a few pounds.

Weight just fluctuates. As time goes on, you'll get to know your normals and these fluctuations on the scale won't be shocking at all. You'll come to expect and predict them. Even so, once in while, you'll go up for no good reason and be like, "Why? From where?!" As more time goes on, you'll get used to that, too.

Plus, some scales are evil. They live to frustrate us. They can't go anywhere or do anything and they're one of the most used appliances, but we are very fickle in our love for them and don't treat them well...so they try to entertain and amuse themselves buy thwarting us and upsetting us. They toss out nasty, wrong numbers occasionally. We get upset and they call up their scale friends and say, "Guess what I just did to my owner?! Bwhahaha!"

If you have an evil scale, you must not show it any fear. That will only make it worse. Learn to accept those random, evil numbers with grace. Knowing that they are coming helps. You can still delight in new, low numbers. But don't react to the evil numbers. :)
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    I use an app too. It actually calms me more than weighing once a week because I like seeing the trend staying on a downward shift. If I did it only once a week and that happened to be the day I was retaining water it would discourage me.

Sometimes when I look at my chart it discourages me and makes me work harder the next day. It can get frustrating when your graph looks like this lol.
    I should say I use WeightGrapher. e7fawlqivz2s.jpeg

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Sodium intake. New/increased exercise. Hormones, especially around ovulation or TOM. Stress. Those can all cause water weight to increase. It's normal for everyone, so look at the trend over 1-3 months rather than daily or weekly.

That is what I am learning. When I get discouraged, I look back over the whole month to see what my loss was. Otherwise I would go crazy, as my weight fluctuates from week to week, which is when I weigh.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

Normally daily weigh inners weigh in at the same time every morning. Not after a workout because you can fluctuate after a workout.

I wondered about this too. I weigh myself after my morning workout, right before I get into the shower. It's just easier for me that way. I get that the number will be lower since I've sweated a ton, but what makes that number any less valid than, say, weighing after you tinkle or before you drink anything. Both decreases are due to less water in your body and are likely temporary since you will again rehydrate, so why is the lower post-workout number somehow less "real" ?

I tend to think that as long as you do it consistently, your numbers will be trustworthy, but I'm open to new information on this if anyone has it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I wondered about this too. I weigh myself after my morning workout, right before I get into the shower. It's just easier for me that way. I get that the number will be lower since I've sweated a ton, but what makes that number any less valid than, say, weighing after you tinkle or before you drink anything. Both decreases are due to less water in your body and are likely temporary since you will again rehydrate, so why is the lower post-workout number somehow less "real" ?

I tend to think that as long as you do it consistently, your numbers will be trustworthy, but I'm open to new information on this if anyone has it.

I agree with this. I don't personally weigh after a workout, but as long as it is consistent, what is the problem? Everyone is choosing a somewhat random point. So just be consistent with it.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It's normal for all of us, and unless your diet and exercise habits are the same exact thing every day, at the same times, under the same conditions, with the same stress levels.... fluctuation will exist.

Everything passes through your body at different rates depending on how much you burn, how and where in the digestion process it is absorbed, the speed at which it is absorbed, etc/etc/etc. Add to that the calorie density of food (calories vs weight) and there is a lot going on for most people on a "normal" day.

As a real simple example, depending on a lot of things, your body will retain more or less water. Even if you are completely and well hydrated you can drink a liter of water and not have to run to the bathroom. The body doesn't immediately reject that water.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    As a real simple example, depending on a lot of things, your body will retain more or less water. Even if you are completely and well hydrated you can drink a liter of water and not have to run to the bathroom. The body doesn't immediately reject that water.

Yup, and that liter of water weighs about 2.2 lb. The average person drinks roughly 3 liters per day, or 6.6 pounds just in fluids, which doesn't even get into the weight of the food you eat. Sure, you'll lose water in your breath and sweat and urine and stool, but not immediately.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

The weight loss will be due to water lost from sweat/dehydration. You can't drop two pounds of fat after a workout (unfortunately ;) )