If you are struggling to lose...

Options

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    It was also easy to do because if I measured something it was with a spoon or cup and I fit as much as humanly possible in it. I also knew people who lost weight without doing any of that and thought that if it was that easy my measuring would make it a sure deal.

I've been there!!! My 1/2 Tablespoon of peanut butter was more like 1/4 cup by the time I packed it all in there :wink:

Ya! I swear..if I was being generous I would log 2 tablespoons but in all honesty it was more like 4.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You're story sounds EXACTLY like mine. I was CONVINCED something was wrong with me. I KNEW I was eye balling correctly because there was no way that little food could be more than what I logged. I measured with cups and spoons and thought I was doing everything right. I also did the blood work and stopped my anxiety meds lol. Funny thing is I've had a food scale for years from when I did WW, but didn't think I needed it. Finally, after reading tons of MFP posts I said screw it, let me start weighing EVERYTHING. Lo and behold I've been steadily losing 1-2lbs a week since August. Something so simple and I thought I was above it all lol.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    < Doesn't have to weigh her food to realize eating too much causes weight gain *swag*

I think most people know that but do what I did and convince themselves they aren't overeating so there must be some metabolic problem.

That's right! I used to think I didn't eat a lot. Then I started using a food scale and realized I actually was. Kudos to those who don't have to use a food scale but for those who don't know what "eating too much" really is a food scale comes in handy especially for portion control.
    I have been overweight most of my life and so not keeping myself accountable doesn't result in weight loss. What I think is "good" enough, others who have more experience maintaining a lower weight would probably realize quicker that they were overdoing it.

• tara_means_star
    Options
    You're story sounds EXACTLY like mine. I was CONVINCED something was wrong with me. I KNEW I was eye balling correctly because there was no way that little food could be more than what I logged. I measured with cups and spoons and thought I was doing everything right. I also did the blood work and stopped my anxiety meds lol. Funny thing is I've had a food scale for years from when I did WW, but didn't think I needed it. Finally, after reading tons of MFP posts I said screw it, let me start weighing EVERYTHING. Lo and behold I've been steadily losing 1-2lbs a week since August. Something so simple and I thought I was above it all lol.

Yay! I'm not the only crazy person on here! :lol
  • mrsnazario1219
    Options

Haha!! No, not at all. I'm 5'2 and was almost 200lbs at one point. I got that way for a reason. I ate a lot more than I thought I was. I didn't know or didn't care what portion control looked like.
  • tara_means_star
    Options

Haha!! No, not at all. I'm 5'2 and was almost 200lbs at one point. I got that way for a reason. I ate a lot more than I thought I was. I didn't know or didn't care what portion control looked like.
    I can relate! I started eating like my husband who started gaining weight once he left construction work and got a desk job... That was a bad idea.
  • mrsnazario1219
    Options

I can relate! I started eating like my husband who started gaining weight once he left construction work and got a desk job... That was a bad idea.

Omg I remember a time when my plate of food looked exactly like my husband's. I shrugged it off. Looking back now I'm horrified.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If you hadn't actually checked, why were you "SURE" it was 1500 calories? Could you walk me through that thought process?
    I tend to be really obsessive and would underestimate things to keep the number from being in the red. I told myself it was on because there was no way I was eating that much over my calories. I stopped eating many carbs and deserts and such. The point is that I convinced myself, wrongly, that I was staying under my calories
    . its only after I started being more strict that I was even able to admit to myself that I had been doing this.
    And you really never thought, "Well, I haven't actually checked, so maybe I'm not staying under 1500 calories"? Never, ever occurred to you that maybe you should check before being SURE? Ever?

• tara_means_star
    Options
    My husband and I are both losing now and I'm trying really hard to stay under his weight lol
  • tara_means_star
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No. That's the point of this post. Its easy to convince yourself there's something else to blame. It isn't all that novel, look at the number of people who have said they can relate. I'm posting this thought process so that other people who may not be letting themselves believe they are overeating will see this and have the epiphany that it took me too long and too much money to come to.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you hadn't actually checked, why were you "SURE" it was 1500 calories? Could you walk me through that thought process?
    I tend to be really obsessive and would underestimate things to keep the number from being in the red. I told myself it was on because there was no way I was eating that much over my calories. I stopped eating many carbs and deserts and such. The point is that I convinced myself, wrongly, that I was staying under my calories
    . its only after I started being more strict that I was even able to admit to myself that I had been doing this.
    And you really never thought, "Well, I haven't actually checked, so maybe I'm not staying under 1500 calories"? Never, ever occurred to you that maybe you should check before being SURE? Ever?

I'm not sure why you find it so unbelievable. There's a whole thread full of people here telling you it happens. And we see it all the time in plateau threads. The important thing is that the OP did figure it out and is trying to help others do the same.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think weighing and measuring works best for me -- surprisingly some days my "eyeball" portion is really less than what is in my plan (although it more often is more -- particularly almond butter -- haha)
  • mrsnazario1219
    Options

Have you read the other poster's comments? They were all convinced of the same thing, me in particular. She also said that she would measure things with cups and spoons and thought she was doing it right. It's really not that hard to believe.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I think weighing and measuring works best for me -- surprisingly some days my "eyeball" portion is really less than what is in my plan (although it more often is more -- particularly almond butter -- haha)

I'm getting to this point. I'm now trying to consciously over estimate my intake when I'm in situations that I can't measure/weight like at a friend's house or out to eat. I'm getting better at it!
  • Kalikel
    Options

I'm not sure why you find it so unbelievable. There's a whole thread full of people here telling you it happens. And we see it all the time in plateau threads. The important thing is that the OP did figure it out and is trying to help others do the same.

I don't find it unbelievable. I totally believe it,which is why I'm asking.

I just don't get how someone manages it. How do you "convince yourself"? How are you absolutely certain of something?

Do these people just never think, "Maybe I should check and see"? Ever?

I get that it's true. Totally believe it!

I'm just trying to understand the thought process there. What are they thinking?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Is there a reason you feel the need to give her the 3rd degree? Shesh. She was just sharing her experience.
  • tara_means_star
    Options

Have you read the other poster's comments? They were all convinced of the same thing, me in particular. She also said that she would measure things with cups and spoons and thought she was doing it right. It's really not that hard to believe.

I didn't think it was hard to believe either but I guess kudos to those people who had a better sense of caloric intake than me. Thankfully, I'm getting better at it.
  • tara_means_star
    Options

I don't find it unbelievable. I totally believe it,which is why I'm asking.

I just don't get how someone manages it. How do you "convince yourself"? How are you absolutely certain of something?

Do these people just never think, "Maybe I should check and see"? Ever?

I get that it's true. Totally believe it!

I'm just trying to understand the thought process there. What are they thinking?

Yes. I got to the point where I needed to check but it took too long and involved too much money in the mean time. For me, it stemmed from wanting it to be easier than it was, lack of information regarding weight loss, a sister for a nurse who told me all the possible hormonal issues that make weight loss more difficult, and a horrible sense of obsession with eating as much as I could without seeing red numbers on MFP.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Is there a reason you feel the need to give her the 3rd degree? Shesh. She was just sharing her experience.

It's not the third degree.

I'm genuinely interested in how that works. How does a person never say to themselves "Maybe I should check on that" before being certain of it?

Maybe someone, some day, will explain just what the heck they were telling themselves and how they came to be sure of something without ever considering seeing if it was right.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think why most of us don't think about weighing and measuring our food is that no one ever is presented with it as an option -- which leads to the ridiculous supersizing in restaurants, crazy portions on food labels, etc. etc. But there is only one solution, education and taking the time to weigh and measure. Some of my friends weigh and measure in restaurants. I don't do that, but I could see how it could be helpful.