Have You Ever Done A Stupid/Fad Diet? What Happened?

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Does the low fat, use margarine, eat foods with low fat but higher sugar WOE of past years count as a fad? I was on board for that one for years.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Back in 8th grade my friend and I tried the Sacred Heart Diet. We did lose weight, but I was crabby from only being able to eat certain things. We both gained it back as soon as we stopped.

Also tried slimfast, a few dumb things from my mom's Woman's World magazines, tried a few different pills...it was a swell time haha.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My first round of weight loss was with the "help" of my very own Starvation Diet, a year after I had my twins. I had NO idea what I was doing, how much I should be eating, etc. We didn't have internet then back in 2004 so no way to do research. All I had was my recipe book with a chapter at the end about cooking for weight loss, there it was recommended to eat 1500 calories a day to lose weight. I thought "why not eat half of that, to lose faster?"
    I did just that. I ate between 500-800 a day. If I ate up to 1000 calories in one day I felt awful and hated myself. I lost 17 kg in 6 months until I stood on the scale one day, weighing in at my lowest ever adult weight and just thought "screw this, I can't live like this anymore". I had started "cheating" more and more and my weight loss slowed down. It was just too much for me. I gained it all back + 15 kg pretty quickly.

After that I've tried LCHF 3 times and felt worse every time I tried it. I hated it.

Also tried the cabbage soup diet and lasted a day. I couldn't stand the taste of the soup.. yuck.

Found calorie counting and it's the only thing that works for me. Sustainable and easy. Not going back to fad diets ever again. :smile:
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Once believed that I could run/train/exercise myself into a caloric deficit. Worked until I got out of High School
  • htrdln
    htrdln Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the lemonade diet. lost 15 lbs gained it back. However, before I have horrible acid reflux.. It's gone now.. Completely over a year later still no acid reflux.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    In 2001 I starved myself to lose over 80lbs, which is definitely the stupidest 'diet' I could have ever done. I didn't care about being healthy, I just wanted the weight gone and gone fast. I lost it in just under 5 months by eating an average of 500 calories per day (went from 226lbs to 140lbs). I lost a ton of hair, was always dizzy, daily headaches, fainted on a couple of occasions, couldn't focus, had no energy, was sick all the time. The odd time I'd splurge and eat a treat like a couple slices of pizza, the scale fluctuated like crazy and I'd suddenly gain 8-10lbs.

I learned nothing about eating properly and never incorporated physical activity into my life. I assumed being 'skinny' would automatically make me fit. It obviously didn't and due to the lack of fuel in my body I barely had enough energy to function. I attempted to start running when I hit 140lbs and quit within a couple of days because I was so weak.

In the 6 months after that loss, I struggled to keep losing but I couldn't keep eating that low. I not only couldn't continue to lose but I also couldn't keep the weight off. SHOCKINGLY I gained back every single pound I lost over the course of the next year (and some bonus lbs too).

It took about another dozen tries (different diets and methods) over 10 years before I finally got it right. I wish I knew back then how simple and relatively painless weight loss can actually be.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Late teens:
    -The cookie diet "limits". Dropped weight too fast and became very weak, tired and had flu-like symptoms
    -Apple cider vinegar and green tea: Drank apple cider vinegar in the morning and lots of green tea during the day. All I did was waste my time. Lasted 1 month.
    -Water/juice fast: Lasted just over a week. Was very weak. :P
    -Drank less water: Eh...just more stupidity.

In my early 20's I tried:
    -Cabbage soup diet: I lasted 1 week and could not look at cabbage or vegetable soup for years.
    -Slim fast: Lasted 2-3 weeks, was hangry and tired. I tried this a couple times.
    -Fat blaster pill: The original version, I lost 20kg in 2 months..I ate those little round rice crackers all day, followed by a lean cuisine of steamed meat and veg for dinner and developed skin issues and food issues as I was afraid to eat most foods. I would go through 1 box of the pills in 2 weeks...(nonononononono!). Tried other weight loss pills as well. I cannot remember the prescription diet pill I was on but I felt too energized and wired

In my late 20's:
    Alternated between the cabbage soup diet and the military/hotdog/sacred heat diet for 3 months. My skin turned awful patchy and dry, I lost weight, was dehydrated, my hair started falling out, my nails got brittle. my lips were always chapped. Followed this with a binge/fast/binge/fast, then back to the previous. Lots of nausea, and I ended up collapsing a few times. Alternated with fasting and weight loss teas and ended up in hospital.

Now:
    I eat what I want CICO. That's it. :) I've developed a healthier relationship with food. I am no longer afraid to eat certain foods, nor do I binge/fast. When I was a kid, my father, people at school and most of my family used to tease me about my weight. I am glad that I've overcome this.

All I can say is that I am GLAD that I found MFP and smartened up...boy was I stupid.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Tried low-fat in the '80s. Lasted about two weeks and the cravings were absolutely insane. I snapped, went and ate three Big Macs and threw that diet in the trash.

Did Atkins in the '90s. Was able to eat almost everything I enjoyed, lost 42 lbs. in 16 weeks. Only problem was that the occasional high-carb "free day" produced immediate and very....interesting....gastrointestinal issues (see the Alli/Xenical thread to get an idea of what I'm talking about). Gave it up because 1) I got tired of being afraid to fart and having to buy new underwear, and 2) I missed tortillas and sushi rice too much, and I don't like not being able to eat foods I want to eat.

Losing weight and being healthy doesn't have to involve torturing yourself.
  • hannahouser
    hannahouser Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did the slimfast diet and ate my bodyweight in their "snack" bars because I was so hungry..

I did the atkins diet and had raging acne after a week,

And i once bought "fat melters" online and felt like I needed to peel myself off my ceiling every night because I couldn't sleep and my heart rate was sky high.

I've wasted a lot of money on fads and crappy diets over the years, Its taken a long time for me to realise healthy eating is the only way :)
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Diet pills: gave me heart palpitations

The Dukan Diet: left me miserable with toxic farts and foul breathe

The Cabbage Soup diet: I did the full week, it was horrible but at the time I considered it worth for the "weight" I lost. It all came back. I attempted it again once or twice in desperation prior to big events. Could never make it past 3 days after. There is still some in my freezer.

The Military Diet: I started & didn't finish. Not because it was hard but because it was obviously ridiculous and not going to work.

Tea-tox: effectively laxative tea. Vile and bad for your insides. Also inappropriate for anyone who doesn't work at home...oh, lord the memories

Isagenix: Ridiculous waste of money. Pyramid scheme which really just amounts to a 1200-1300 calorie diet with no consideration of your nutritional needs. I lost 5kg in a week and put about 8 on the fortnight after.

Cayenne pepper lemon detox thing: Rancid. Awful. Did 1 day and thought "Beyonce can stick this where the sun don't shine"

CICO now, thank goodness. Poor body...
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    About twenty years ago, I bought an EMS unit off a commercial on tv...just hook yourself up, turn it on, and no need to do crunches ever again.... :D lol! What they forgot to mention was, it felt like bolts of electricity zapping thru my skin every 15 seconds, and I couldn't use it more than twice. That was worth the trip back for a refund, believe me!

I got something like that back in the early 2000's. You wrap it around your waist and...it was just a bad time. it actually burned me!!!

My mother had one of those. She also used to run with industrial strength cellophane/cling-wrap wrapped around her waist because she thought sweat=fat...

No wonder I had to re-learn everything about diet, fitness and the way the body works.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I took garcinia cambogia. Other than losing my money and having GNC employees tell me that I needed to buy the more "pure" pills, nothing really happened.

If exercise equipment counts, I purchased the Shake Weight and these sandals with little bumps that were supposed to help burn more calories. They were both used once. I just looked silly with the weight, but felt miserable with those damn shoes.

The biggest thing I regret is being proud to eat 800 calories most days for a little over a year. I took care to weigh my foods and use correct entries in a notebook and another calorie counting site. I did lose a lot of weight very quickly, unfortunately. My eating was already disordered prior to weight loss; it just shifted from one end of the spectrum to another. The worst thing is thinking about how some people I knew wished they could lose at the same rate.
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I ate only otter pops for about two months when I was 20. I don't know what started it but I quickly lost 20 lbs AND developed major blood sugar issues. I can't even imagine how my body would react now that it's older!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I know this is supposed to be personal experience, but I feel like this second hand experience will be better:

My sister in law went on a juice fast..... for 41 days.

She lost a ton of weight, which she gained back and then some, her teeth all turned gray, her skin was gray, her eyes were all sunken and puffy all the time, you couldn't hold a normal conversation with her, it was absurd. I don't think she had an "eating disorder" persay, because before she went on this she ate normal and looked normal (no one on my husband's side could ever be fat if they tried apparently), and now she's a militant ethical vegan bless her heart and she eats plenty now too.

She just got on this juicing thing and she kept upping the challenge to "well maybe I'll do 3 weeks, maybe 5..." and so on and so on until we threatened to hospitalize her. She was so enamored of the fact that she was losing weight it's like she couldn't even see what she was doing to herself.

I WISH I could remember the name of the dude she found on the internet/in a book who told her she could go on a 60 day juice fast without killing herself, so I could find every instance of his cursed name on MFP and destroy it before he gets to somebody else...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    The Special K thing was the closest I came to a fad diet. I was in high school. I think Special K was making claims that if you replaced two meals with the cereal you'd lose weight. I didn't measure it out or anything but I did it. I lose some weight.
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    I know this is supposed to be personal experience, but I feel like this second hand experience will be better:

She lost a ton of weight, which she gained back and then some, her teeth all turned gray, her skin was gray, her eyes were all sunken and puffy all the time, you couldn't hold a normal conversation with her, it was absurd. I don't think she had an "eating disorder" persay, because before she went on this she ate normal and looked normal (no one on my husband's side could ever be fat if they tried apparently), and now she's a militant ethical vegan bless her heart and she eats plenty now too.

She just got on this juicing thing and she kept upping the challenge to "well maybe I'll do 3 weeks, maybe 5..." and so on and so on until we threatened to hospitalize her. She was so enamored of the fact that she was losing weight it's like she couldn't even see what she was doing to herself.

I WISH I could remember the name of the dude she found on the internet/in a book who told her she could go on a 60 day juice fast without killing herself, so I could find every instance of his cursed name on MFP and destroy it before he gets to somebody else...

Was it Joe Cross? http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »

No idea. Whoever it was, he's an ***hole and I owe him a barbell to the gut.
  • Paul699
    Paul699 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ive donr ;

What I consider Fad
    Atkins - Had to give in as I suffered blinding head aches.
    Herbalife supplements, no results at all
    The cabbage diet - couldn't live with the side effects, or justify the loss results or effort in making the gruel.

Not so Faddy
    Weight Watchers a when I was in early 20s and had a lot of loss there, but I was so unhappy.
    Slimming world - I wont comment on that

Its took me a long time to realise you dont need any of those things, if they work for you and your happy, then great. But for me, not living in complete denial all the time, having a healthy balanced attitude to eating hopefully for the rest of my life is a better option. CICO is the way forward chums :) ..

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »

No idea. Whoever it was, he's an ***hole and I owe him a barbell to the gut.

I like you.