Last year I let my children's problems stress me out

Options
quiltlovinlisa
quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
edited November 2015 in Motivation and Support
and I neglected myself, put a bunch of weight back on. It wasn't good for me, it wasn't good for them. It was a super hard year (my oldest was considering suicide, just to give an idea on what kind of stress.)

This year, I've made commitments to myself on taking care of myself, putting myself first and so far it's gone well. My oldest had a huge crushing blow last night and I spent half the night tossing and turning, worrying about her.

My eating was a little off last night but I got my exercise in this am and reminded myself that I need to be healthier, be fitter for me. In turn, I will be a better person for her (and my other kiddos.)

I'm still incredibly worried.

I guess I have no reason for posting other then this is all stuff I can't discuss with real life people and that pressure is so hard. Anyone juggling multiple children with especially difficult challenges and still trying to take care of yourself? My oldest is on the autism spectrum, ADHD, a learning disability and she struggles with anxiety and last year, depression. She's a senior, we're not sure what the future holds for her.

Replies

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    It sure sounds like you have a full plate. I find that if I am worried about something, that if I find a mindless physical chore or exercise that I can either clear my head or come up with some plans for dealing with it.

My stressors are my elderly live-in mother (with moderate cognitive impairment), a disabled younger brother who lives 6 states away, a college-age daughter and a full time job.

Hang in there, and good for you for trying to be a good example and for taking care of you.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    edited November 2015
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    It sure sounds like you have a full plate. I find that if I am worried about something, that if I find a mindless physical chore or exercise that I can either clear my head or come up with some plans for dealing with it.

My stressors are my elderly live-in mother (with moderate cognitive impairment), a disabled younger brother who lives 6 states away, a college-age daughter and a full time job.

Hang in there, and good for you for trying to be a good example and for taking care of you.

That's why I exercised this am. I do feel better. Thank you.

Those are some pretty big stressors you have as well.

Whew, one step at a time, keeping myself focused.

• amandanicole90a
    amandanicole90a Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Im sorry to hear you are dealing with all this, mama!! You and your family are in my thoughts <3
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids between the ages of 19 and 26 and I worry about every one of them for similar reasons. You can't do anything about the worry. It is part of being a mom. One thing I can control is what I eat. Sometimes just being able to that makes me feel better. My weight loss has been very slow because I mess up a lot. But slow is better than not at all.
    The holidays are going to be a challenge. I am going to get on this forum every night. Even reading others success stories helps.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a stress eater! I think that when life is going well it is easy to eat well and exercise regularly, but when life throws you a big curve ball everything goes out the window. I think the key is to do what you're doing- put your health as a top priority. I won't say the last year has been super stressful, but I certainly had times when I just wanted to eat a lot and a lot of junk. Sometimes I did but I usually got right back onto healthy eating and exercise. I feel for you. We all have stress and it's just how we deal with it that matters.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I can relate to much of what you are writing. 2015 has been a difficult year at our house and much of it had to do with family (child) issues.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm more focused and my kiddo is doing a little bit better. I appreciate the responses.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do what you can to get enough sleep.
    Yoga can help with coping.