Anorexia recovery and inpatient

Options
I'm 19 years old and have been recovering from anorexia for about two months now. I started out at 83 lbs and have increase a lot, I'm at about 98 lbs now but I have been struggling more lately and my counselor is recommending inpatient therapy over Christmas break. Is this weird to go inpatient after almost being weight restored? I feel like I'm too big to be going inpatient? Or is this common? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to listen to your therapist and that you are in good hands. Best wishes on your recovery!!
  • rhyscoote
    rhyscoote Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing & im also 19, the best advise I can give you is be around people that you feel comfortable with and eat small and regular even if it is just a cereal bar you eating, don't leave your tummy empty! I'm also going through depression, 2 months ago I was 8.5stone now I'm 7.8, I'm really skinny and feel like I'm wasting away, but eating really is a girls beatfriend in times of crisis honey, hope you get back to normality soon xx
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just because you almost weight restored dont mean you still have anorexic thoughts an find things difficult at times everyone is diffrent i find xmas hard so extra help always a plus do what you think is right an take advice ☺
  • mollympav
    mollympav Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    2 years ago i was in the same situation and had to go inpatient for 5 months. As much as i didn't want to at the time i can honestly say they saved my life. Even if you are close to being weight restored it doesn't mean that you are mentally recovered and it could be what you need. When i was inpatient some people got admitted even at a healthy weight. Trust the professionals and i hope that things get better for you! :)
  • pineappleluv16
    pineappleluv16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation just a couple months ago, and I was in inpatient for 6 months of my life. My life was saved! Just make sure you are listening to the professionals and not that eating disorder voice in your head, I wish you the best of luck! :):)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    khacker4 wrote: »
    I'm 19 years old and have been recovering from anorexia for about two months now. I started out at 83 lbs and have increase a lot, I'm at about 98 lbs now but I have been struggling more lately and my counselor is recommending inpatient therapy over Christmas break. Is this weird to go inpatient after almost being weight restored? I feel like I'm too big to be going inpatient? Or is this common? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!

Listen to your therapist.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There are different kinds of normal and abnormal. I wouldn't sweat that too much.

It is not uncommon to go through inpatient more than once. The first time is usually about tying people down, putting the tube in and saving their life or threatening them with the tube to make them eat. Whatever happens and however it's done, the goal is to get food into the body. (And sometimes to treat medical issues like electrolyte imbalances or whathaveyou, if that's why the person ended up as a patient.)

You know how starving messes up your brain and you don't think clearly? The brain fog? It isn't until you've been eating a decent amount of food for a while that you can really begin to start to work on yourself.

It's the Catch-22 for the ana-mia crowd and those who treat them: They cannot eat until they get better, but they cannot get better until they eat. Many different approaches to getting the body fed so that the mind can start to heal and the approach differs by doctor and even by patient. Everyone has physical issues that draw from the same well, but we are unique individuals, doctors and patients alike, so the therapy will vary.

The inpatient stay once a person is eating regularly - that is when real recovery begins.

Nothing about ana-mia is normal, but for this particular diagnosis, multiple inpatient stays are common. You're not worse off than most people who have an ED, if that's what you're worried about. For this abnormal, it's very normal. :)

It's a long, hard fight - getting to normal. I've seen a lot of people go through it. The "Just eat a cheeseburger!" crowd has no idea how hard these girls work, how strong and brave they have to be. I'm very humbled, honestly. I've lost 100 pounds and I didn't work half as hard as the ED girls work.

You have it in you. The same thing that kept you strong enough to starve will keep you strong enough to eat. You just have to re-channel that determination into being healthy and stick with it.

You'll get there! We used to have recovered girls come back to talk with those who are beginning recovery. It was really nice to see them. The same girls who had been pissed off, silent, pale, sick, skeletal-looking people - they come back healthy, strong, happy ones. They're grades have improved, they're going to or talking about college. They're working in day care. They're dating. Etc, etc.

So very often, a year or two later, they're happy. You stick with it and you'll be happier, too. :)
  • Monketo2002
    Monketo2002 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There are different kinds of normal and abnormal. I wouldn't sweat that too much.

It is not uncommon to go through inpatient more than once. The first time is usually about tying people down, putting the tube in and saving their life or threatening them with the tube to make them eat. Whatever happens and however it's done, the goal is to get food into the body. (And sometimes to treat medical issues like electrolyte imbalances or whathaveyou, if that's why the person ended up as a patient.)

You know how starving messes up your brain and you don't think clearly? The brain fog? It isn't until you've been eating a decent amount of food for a while that you can really begin to start to work on yourself.

It's the Catch-22 for the ana-mia crowd and those who treat them: They cannot eat until they get better, but they cannot get better until they eat. Many different approaches to getting the body fed so that the mind can start to heal and the approach differs by doctor and even by patient. Everyone has physical issues that draw from the same well, but we are unique individuals, doctors and patients alike, so the therapy will vary.

The inpatient stay once a person is eating regularly - that is when real recovery begins.

Nothing about ana-mia is normal, but for this particular diagnosis, multiple inpatient stays are common. You're not worse off than most people who have an ED, if that's what you're worried about. For this abnormal, it's very normal. :)

It's a long, hard fight - getting to normal. I've seen a lot of people go through it. The "Just eat a cheeseburger!" crowd has no idea how hard these girls work, how strong and brave they have to be. I'm very humbled, honestly. I've lost 100 pounds and I didn't work half as hard as the ED girls work.

You have it in you. The same thing that kept you strong enough to starve will keep you strong enough to eat. You just have to re-channel that determination into being healthy and stick with it.

You'll get there! We used to have recovered girls come back to talk with those who are beginning recovery. It was really nice to see them. The same girls who had been pissed off, silent, pale, sick, skeletal-looking people - they come back healthy, strong, happy ones. They're grades have improved, they're going to or talking about college. They're working in day care. They're dating. Etc, etc.

So very often, a year or two later, they're happy. You stick with it and you'll be happier, too. :)

This^^
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

The OP is anorexic not ana mia.

OP, you need to trust your counsellor. Christmas is a major trigger to us anorexics. The high fat foods every where, family gatherings where you feel them watching you eat. The parties and the dresses etc.

Go in to the unit. You know and said so that you are starting to struggle. The hardest step is walking in there, within hours the pressure relieves.
    Are you on TPN? Or is your weight coming up with solid foods?

I send you a hug to get the strength to go in x