What keeps you motivated to go work out??

Options

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My workouts are:

Martial arts. (cardio)Every class I go to I learn some new thing or just have a lot of fun with other members of the dojo. Habit. I go to every class no matter how tired and/or sore I am.

Hoof trimming.(strength) I do this on most of my days off from my "real job". I get to work with horses(and other animals), experience the satisfaction of seeing them progress in behavior and health, plus it pays well.

My job... 12k steps a day. Pays the bills. Monkeys!!

Motivations? Fun, learning new skills, having a positive impact, daily habit, financial gain, satisfaction, purpose and doing things I truly enjoy.

Going to a gym just seems so... boring. I can see why people have trouble maintaining the habit.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I love running!! It makes me feel great--and is a positive start to my day. When I skip it, I feel like "ugh" all day.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    How good being fit feels

I can see some veins in my side and abs

It took 2 years to get there

Not going back

And basically a fitness lifestyle with new hobbies and activities make it unlikely

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    About half of my workouts I "don't feel like it". I go anyway because I love the results. I like putting more weight on the bar every week and crossing out the previous PR on the board. I enjoy being more functional and able.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    To beat my last platform attempts.
  • vjjohnson3
    vjjohnson3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest the top two reasons I go to the gym are:
    1. Because there usually are women there
    2. Bigger, better climaxes post workout

And...I really like working out.
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    • My Personal Trainer - I weigh-in every two weeks
    • Spin class - love the instructor!
    • The feeling of accomplishment
    • Thinking about my mom and husband

I also plan on starting swimming!
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Reasons for working out:
    - I want to be the best possible me I can be.
    - I want to stay healthy & active.
    - I love beating my PRs
    - I love new challenges & learning new exercises/movements/activities.
    - I feel great after working out.
    - My stress levels are reduced after hitting the pads or lifting some heavy weights.
    - I have gained confidence in myself & love being strong.
    - I enjoy my Krav Maga classes, love sprinting outside, love handling kettlebells, Dumbbells, barbell, doing Olympic lifts. I like skipping, ladder/bosu/cone drills...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Working out hard and long, besides making me feel great and look good, lets me eat more and drink the great beer I love.

Tonight I had the pleasure of having trying Cafe Ambre from O'So Brewing, a malt bomb of an amber with a custom roasted Guatamelan coffee.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Love all my Les Mills group fitness classes. I hate annoying weeks when I can only make it out on the weekends, but those are usually so busy doing something else worthwhile that I don't mind too too much.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    • Personal Bests
    • Endorphins (Happy Hormones!)
    • I run and walk, so the sights and sounds of the outdoors and the opportunity to take photos
    • Looking good
    • Bragging rights
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    For me it is the way it makes me feel.

When i start out its ok. I have to do it...but as soon i get warmed up i get all energetic.

It makes me feel good. And at the end i can be tired and sweaty...but i feel marvelous. I teach body-robics and sometimes i have to stop myself from going to funny/wild/enthusiastic/fast etc

Like today i did a half hour class ( to seniors) and when i got home i popped on my treadmill.
    So yes for me it is that it makes me feel good

95069916.png
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It bores me, because I'm limited to gentle stationary biking and walking on the treadmill right now. Music is the only thing that gets me through. (Thankful for Spotify's "Discovery" option.) Also, the knowledge that if I don't do anything, I a) will lose whatever conditioning I have and b) won't fit into my clothes, because I like food and hate deprivation. Lol at 1200 calories, forget that. I do stuff on my phone sometimes.

If you can do more than that, pick some goals (weight, time, or form, often a neglected goal) and aim to improve every time you go.
  • miaelissa
    miaelissa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find watching you tube videos so much more entertaining than just music
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    KaiUneeda wrote: »
    I quite like going to the gym, but on days I can not be arsed I just remember how good I feel on the drive home after I do go. It usually pushes me to go, and I do leave happy I went.

Yeah, the feeling afterwards. I love running, *after* I've done it, lol.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I needed some form of "carrot" to get myself to work out.
    I started slowly and made myself deals: Coffee is allowed only after I do a short 7min work out. I can only watch The Daily/Nightly Show if I'm walking. I can only change into real pants (non-workout tights) after I do my strength training/classes.
    After a while it just becomes habit and it feels weird to do things outside of the "rules" I set for myself.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    death, Doritos, Snickers.....but not carrots
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you get bored from working out, you haven't found the right exercise for you. If you go the gym, try changing your playlist music to something more fun. That is if you listen to music while working out. I'm a video junkie. I workout at home. The videos I have make me want to work out. Also if you see results, it can be addicting as well.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    The gains.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    The ice cream and diet coke on the drive home.