Ways to lose 40 lbs

Options
I know this may be extreme to some, but I would love to lose 40 lbs. College life has negatively impacted the way I eat as I eat however and whenever I like due to stress eating, so I want to finally be happy with my body and myself by making a change. Especially, since I am approaching the holidays I need good advice and tips on what to do. Is it possible to lose 40 lbs in two months? I am 5'0, weighing 140 and hope to be 100 lbs at the end of January. Are there any diets or anything I should look into doing? I really would like to be fit and strong for the first time in my life.

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You can lose 40 pounds but getting there by the end of January is most likely not going to happen. Just eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercising creates a larger deficit.
  • wolfordwebsites
    wolfordwebsites Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The most you could hope to lose is two pounds per week, realistically. If you look at the getting started posts, they have a lot of good information.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Woah, slow down there! 40 lbs in 2.5 months is a LOT! You're talking about losing nearly 29% of your body weight.

You didn't reach 140 in 2 months, I'll bet. Think about how long it took to put that weight on, and aim to take it off in a similar manner. You don't need to deprive yourself or become an exercise fanatic, and small changes will make a big payoff over time. You could go all-in, but most people wind up defeating themselves by severe changes that make them miserable. A better approach is to say "hey, my life is unbalanced right now. I need to bring balance back into it and take care of my body AS WELL AS my mind here."

Tips:
    (1) Log everything you eat and be 100% honest about it.
    (2) Get some exercise every day. Even 30 minutes of brisk walking can reverse weight-creep. Your school almost certainly has a walking path, a track, and a gym. Use them! Or join a social exercise club. I had a lot of fun, and helped take care of my health, in college by participating in diverse activities like the bellydance club, the ballroom dance club, and theatre! Find what you like, and DO it!

You've learned something about yourself already; you eat to cope. So you should stop in at your university health center and make an appointment with a doctor or nurse practitioner or dietician to discuss your health goals. Then I strongly urge you to take advantage of your school's mental health services. Most schools have excellent counselling available, and all too few students take advantage of it. They can help you work through the way you think about food and stress, and help you find solutions that work for you.

Believe it or not, as a college student you're in an environment with more resources available to you than almost anyone outside has without significant extra costs. They're already included in your student fees, so use them!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    40 lbs in 80 days? I doubt that is possible or healthy for your size.

20lbs in 80 days could be done.

I wouldn't look into specific diets unless you want to change the foods you eat. Most diets add foods or remove others which isn't very pracical for maintenance unless you plan on eating that way forever.

It might be best if you look at simply cutting calories to somewhere between 1200 and 1500 calories per day. More if you are active.

Try a TDEE calculator. http://tdeecalculator.net/
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    (I apolgize in advance if I sound mean -I'm really hangry) Hahaha, no. There's NO way you'll healthily lose 40 pounds in two months, especially if you're not obese. If you shoot for 0.5-1.5lb a week loss (because 2lbs a week would be inappropriate for your stats and weight loss goals), having a goal of mid-late August would be a lot more appropriate (accounting for weeks where you might not eat at a deficit, slowing down your weight loss as you get smaller, etc).

For comparison, it took me close to two years to lose 40 pounds (170 to 130 for a 5'6 person at a similar age).
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a healthy and sustainable way to lose that much that fast for someone your size. Honestly, one of the biggest keys to success is having realistic expectations.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    In two months the most you can safely lose is 16 pounds. Since you only have 40 to lose you would do better with a 1 pound a week goal or less or 8 pounds.

It might take you longer than you want but you can do it and choosing a safe and reasonable goal is going to make you much more likely to succeed.
  • lemonrina
    lemonrina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! 40 lbs is a lot and I think it will definitely help to start with a smaller goal of 16 or so pounds :)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    40 pounds by August would be a great goal. I think, I will set that one. The great thing about losing slow and steady is that you can learn to do it for life instead of how to yo-yo.
  • lemonrina
    lemonrina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    40 pounds by August would be a great goal. I think, I will set that one. The great thing about losing slow and steady is that you can learn to do it for life instead of how to yo-yo.

I never thought of it that way, thank you that is great to keep in mind!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" you likely would be underweight at 100 lbs. That may not be a healthy goal no matter how many months it takes you to get there. You say you're in college. You may be unrealistically comparing yourself to some earlier 100 lb version of yourself who was still growing (you may even still be growing).
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" you likely would be underweight at 100 lbs. That may not be a healthy goal no matter how many months it takes you to get there. You say you're in college. You may be unrealistically comparing yourself to some earlier 100 lb version of yourself who was still growing (you may even still be growing).

OP she is 5 foot even. 100 lbs would be in the lower end of her range but still healthy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Forty pounds is totally doable. Many people have lost more.

Forty pounds in two months is unlikely. If you're patient and can wait longer than two months, you will be able to lose however much you need to lose. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

OP she is 5 foot even. 100 lbs would be in the lower end of her range but still healthy.

Sorry, I guess I misread. I really thought I had checked the OP.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you made a good revision... From what I've seen in my 100 days here, the people who are in the biggest rush usually just disappear. You've done yourself a big favor by setting a more realistic goal!