Runners! Needing encouragement :(

Options

Replies

• cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in being a jogger. I love to watch other people run because it gives me such motivation. I have been working on it slowly for a while now. I jogged 10 minutes one day and I thought I was amazing!!!-never mind the guy next to me jogged for an hour straight. I am just going to keep plugging away at it until it clicks. I would really love to run a 5k someday.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'll be celebrating my 6 month runniversary in 3 days and I must say running (or any physical activity/sport) is challenging. You just have to get up and do your best on that day's training and sometimes it'll be harder than usual but that's OK! All runs are not supposed to feel amazing. It helps you appreciate the days that you feel like you're floating. Hang in there and stick with it!

As for the Color Me Rad...sign up!! I just did it a few weeks ago and it was awesome! It was my second 5K but I had side stitches the entire time trying to keep up with my friends who are much fast runners than I. Go your own speed and there are A LOT of walkers so you'll be passing someone and it'll make you feel good. ;) I like to stare in amazement as the really fast runners go by, but I tell myself that in a year or two that will be me!

Stay positive and work hard! :)
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    SJL has a good point...when I first started running about 5 years ago, I started by running 1 song, then walking 2, then after a couple weeks running one song walking one song...its sometimes easier to keep track of then timing out minutes. (and it gets you running longer faster since an average song is anywhere from 3-6 minutes.)

This! I completely agree. I also really like the Zombies, Run! app. It makes it entertaining. Totally cuts the boredom. Some people might look at me funny when I burst out laughing, but that's ok. It makes it really fun.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    As an ex-smoker, i never thought running was in the cards for me. Once i quit smoking for awhile i thought i would just try it. I signed up for a triathlon enough in the future so i had time to prep up for it. I did 1 minute intervals and thought i would die while running. But it eventually got easier.

I will say, it gets easier once you get past about the first 15 minutes. Once i get my breath under control i can run for quite a while.

I am running my first 10k on Saturday and i never thought i would run that far! I am thinking a half marathon next year (?).

The feeling of accomplishment is like no other! I am not in love with running but i really love how i feel after. And, it has pushed off the last few pounds i could not get off with anything else.

A tip i got from a few runners out there....after running a long distance if your legs feel achy try soaking in a cold bath for as long as you can take it. It sounds horrible but it really does help. I can only stand it for about 5 minutes but it does feel good after.

Good luck, if i can do it anyone can!
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sign up! You can do it. I'm on week 5 day 4 of the Runkeeper beginners 5k (similiar to C25k). This last run I did I almost ran a whole 3 miles! It was crazy. I just did it. I was using my music as a guide. So I started out by thinking can I make it through the chorus of this song, then can I make it through the chorus and a verse, and so on until I was running through an entire song. Then I was running through 2 songs, etc.

One thing someone told me was you have to find your comfortable pace. For some people it maybe faster for some it maybe slower. Mine is really slow, but for someone who didn't think they'd be able to run at all I'm pretty proud of myself.

That's the one thing I love about running is there is a clear begining and end and you have to push yourself to make it to that finish. It is a mental thing. You have to know you can do it and your body will follow through with it I promise. Find/make yourself a kick butt playlist, look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you can do it, and then do it!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I am so not a runner. I want to be, but I'm not. I am fit, but not 100% where I should be. I struggle with asthma and being a dumb *kitten* in college (I smoked in college). My lungs collapsed when I was younger so I should have known better, but again...dumb *kitten*

Anyway, I decided at the start of the year I was going to sign up for a 5K. I got some people at work together for the Glow Run. There was a HUGE difference in trying to run by myself and running with thousands of other people. I was able to make all but 1/2 a mile. I walked during that time, then I picked back up to the finish. I was super slow, but there were still people behind me so I felt pretty good about that. I was more than sore the next day (we all were!) but I had done it. Since then, I have tried to run again on my own and haven't made it more than about half a maile if that.

That being said, keep at it! Go at your own pace. You don't have to complete the steps as the program has it listed. You can go back and repeat if you need to. Before you know it, you'll be breezing through your 5k!
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 - Running is for you and you only. Do not waste time wondering what other people are thinking because I don't know anyone yet that can truly read minds! Find a race in your area and go watch it from the finish line. You will see the people receiving the biggest cheers are the ones finishing in the back of the pack, not the front.

My favorite thing about races is going back to the finish line after I have completed a race and cheering on the rest of the finishers. Those are the most inspirational. They may be dealing with weight issues, illness, disease. I just ran the Seattle Rock 'n Roll half marathon and was almost brought to tears by a double amputee vet running the race. Run, walk, crawl nobody cares. But we want to see you succeed, whatever that means to you. And we'll know it from the smile on your face when you cross the finish line.

There are barriers, mostly mental. The biggest one seems to be right around 3 miles. I still have problems with it to this day. Your body just seems to say it is time to stop. Your mind has to override that. When you do you will find your body adjusts and it gets much easier after you break through it.

One of the earlier posters recommended running outdoors and using landmarks. Couldn't agree more. You know if you made it to the stop sign last time you can go a little further this time. The key to running further is to add a little more each time. Rule of thumb, add 10% to your long run each week, but never more than 1 mile.

AND RUN SLOW!!! Biggest mistake I've seen people make is running too hard, too fast. It can only lead to injury.

You can do this. 18 months ago I couldn't run. 13 months ago I ran my first 10k. 12 months ago I ran my first half marathon. 6 months ago I ran my first full marathon. Next month I will complete my first half Ironman. Your body is an amazing thing. It will do things you never thought possible. Train carefully, build in small, consistent increments and the sky's the limit!!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    SO I have a few questions all you runners out there!

First off I JUST finished C25k Week 4 day 1 and I have to say WTH? it was quite a big surprise how far it jumped up. My cousin who runs tons of Marathons tells me it is all a mind game, but I was SOOO not mentally prepared for that! Anyways I look at this now as something that will only get harder and I ask myself will I actually be able to do this?

Anyways for those of you that have made it to that 5k mark and beyond did you feel like you would never get there!?

My goal is to run a 5k on my birthday and i have to sign up by July 12th for Color Me Rad to get the early bird fee.. and I keep second guessing myself. What if I'm not ready by then? what if I can't run it? what if I completely embarrass myself?

Did anyone else feel this way when starting out?

It IS a mind game, and to be honest, I progressed through 5k,10k's, 10 miles, half marathons but never ever actually entered any races until my first marathon. Since I finished that, i have become mentally 'flat' and struggled to focus with the same intensity.

Don't compare yourself with other runners or other people...keep sights on your goal and BRING it every time...sure, some runs will be better than others, but just getting out there is better than no run.

I say pick an acheivable goal and work as hard as you can towards it to keep your mind challenged..it's what I am going to do to break my psychological plateau
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 - Running is for you and you only. Do not waste time wondering what other people are thinking because I don't know anyone yet that can truly read minds! Find a race in your area and go watch it from the finish line. You will see the people receiving the biggest cheers are the ones finishing in the back of the pack, not the front.

My favorite thing about races is going back to the finish line after I have completed a race and cheering on the rest of the finishers. Those are the most inspirational. They may be dealing with weight issues, illness, disease. I just ran the Seattle Rock 'n Roll half marathon and was almost brought to tears by a double amputee vet running the race. Run, walk, crawl nobody cares. But we want to see you succeed, whatever that means to you. And we'll know it from the smile on your face when you cross the finish line.

There are barriers, mostly mental. The biggest one seems to be right around 3 miles. I still have problems with it to this day. Your body just seems to say it is time to stop. Your mind has to override that. When you do you will find your body adjusts and it gets much easier after you break through it.

One of the earlier posters recommended running outdoors and using landmarks. Couldn't agree more. You know if you made it to the stop sign last time you can go a little further this time. The key to running further is to add a little more each time. Rule of thumb, add 10% to your long run each week, but never more than 1 mile.

AND RUN SLOW!!! Biggest mistake I've seen people make is running too hard, too fast. It can only lead to injury.

You can do this. 18 months ago I couldn't run. 13 months ago I ran my first 10k. 12 months ago I ran my first half marathon. 6 months ago I ran my first full marathon. Next month I will complete my first half Ironman. Your body is an amazing thing. It will do things you never thought possible. Train carefully, build in small, consistent increments and the sky's the limit!!!

^^ some of the soundest and most genuine advice you will ever get^^
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

^^^^ this and i choked up a bit reading it as well. i'm always at the back of pack but i LOVE running and the high fives i get and the cheering i hear. i know its for everyone but i pretend it's all for me and it is the best feeling!
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've stopped/started running many times. I've signed up for the Nike Women's half marathon in October in san fransisco, and waiting to see if I get picked (it's a lottery). But I've re-started running last month. I typically do run/walk interfals, right now I'm running 4 minutes walking 1 minute. I'm concentrating more on increasing my total distance, so I'll probably keep doing the intervals and making the running intervals longer, but I don't know if I'll ever do away with them completely. That 1 minute walk is my carrot. No matter how hard it feels, I know I can always push myself just one or two minutes more to get my 1 minute walk break.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I to have do C25k program and some was hard to work with but managed it and I was doing the 5k parkruns on saturday and have to say the support hey gave me was a big boost and I think when you run you should do it at a pace you are comfortable at never mind anyone going faster its your run and only you to answer to so have a good run thats all that matters
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    SO I have a few questions all you runners out there!

First off I JUST finished C25k Week 4 day 1 and I have to say WTH? it was quite a big surprise how far it jumped up. My cousin who runs tons of Marathons tells me it is all a mind game, but I was SOOO not mentally prepared for that! Anyways I look at this now as something that will only get harder and I ask myself will I actually be able to do this?

Anyways for those of you that have made it to that 5k mark and beyond did you feel like you would never get there!?

My goal is to run a 5k on my birthday and i have to sign up by July 12th for Color Me Rad to get the early bird fee.. and I keep second guessing myself. What if I'm not ready by then? what if I can't run it? what if I completely embarrass myself?

Did anyone else feel this way when starting out?

I have never used C25k so I can't speak to it. I can tell you what worked for me. This is my third year running 'seriously' and I have completed several 5ks, 10ks, half marathons and 2 full marathons. I used a method by Jeff Galloway and I continue to use it to this day. Check out his website www.jeffgalloway.com. His method is to always incorporate walk breaks at different intervals. Right now I am 4 and 1. I run for 4 minute and then walk for 1 minute. Repeat until desired distance is covered. You may start with walk 3 run 1. I know it may not seem like 'real' running, but Jeff Galloway has completed over 150 marathons without injury. With walk breaks I have completed a 5k in 29:29 (and this is not pushing myself running either) and my best half is 2:24:00. He has free beginner training plans on his website. The only investment is time and an interval timer that beeps when it is time to run and walk so you don't have to stare at your watch. My Garmin 10 had the interval timer built in. but you can get just an interval timer for 20 bucks or a free app if you have a smartphone.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I didn't do C256K, but I really was from the couch running on a farm field...needless to say, I didn't know one stretch was nearly 3 miles anyway. It really is a mind game. I knew when I first started, I had mini goals...get to the next lamp post or electric post. I made everything a game. Then I bought a HRM and things really got crazy. Looking at my watch helped a lot and one day I just did it and before I knew it around 4 weeks later I ended up doing 10k the wholeway. It really is mind over matter. I say sign up!! :)
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    There's a helluva lot of good advice from the folks here. I don't mean to be rude but if you are more worried about embarrassing yourself than what the potential consequences are for quitting without trying, then you need to reassess some priorities. It's your life and, above all, your health. When my wife and I ran our 5k last October (she's 63 and this was her first) we had a couple of run/walkers pass us. All I saw were motivated people, some needed to walk others didn't. Every freakin one of them did what they set out to do and could give a damn about what I or any others thought of them.

On a side note, we finished that race at about a 12 minute per mile pace, not burning up the course by any means but we were both real happy with it. I struggled with my c25k because my left knee has some torn meniscus and constant running put me in hobbled pain for a couple days after. Since then I discovered Jeff Galloway's run/walk method. I just completed a 10k this last weekend at a 10:04 pace, running for 4 minutes, walking for 1, without any knee pain during or after. I passed my fair share of pure runners. My best 1 mile pace is 9:28. I've got my eyes set on the Philly Marathon in November, if I can continue to run pain free.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    First of all...of course you CAN do it...second of all its okay to take a walk break if you need it and third of all your only compeeting with yourself Go for it...that is all...
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    OP, don't worry about it. If you need to take a breather and walk, it's truly no big deal. The color run is more about having fun. I did 10K last Friday morning (not a race, just a solitary workout), had to walk a few times, and felt generally good about the workout. I plan to enter a 10K race that is taking place July 4. I'm sure I'll have to do some walking but that does not bother me. If you need a breather, take it. The most important things are that you are out there doing something and that you are having fun.
  • cerealrunner
    Options
    You will run it. Because you can do it. And you will do it.

You are perfectly capable and able to do anything you set your mind to, even if it seems impossible.

I felt the same way too. The best way to grow is to challenge yourself, and a race is a huge challenge that will push you out of your comfort zone. I know when I first signed up for a race I was nervous as hell, my heartbeat going out of control and my hands unable to stop fidgeting.. I was so scared I wasn't going to be able to do it, so scared of failure. But after I registered to that race, I was committed. I had to train. I had to perform. I had to keep going, even if it seemed like there was no way possible.

Even if you have to stop to walk, even if you have to stop and stretch, or have to take a five minute break, you can cross that finish line. Don't even worry about time or pace, just go out and do it for you; it will be the most overwhelmingly rewarding feeling.

I crossed the finish line of my marathon, even though it took hours, even though it hurt, and even though I'm not the best athlete, I crossed the finish line. I accomplished something I though completely impossible. You can too. Go sign up for that race, because you can do it.

You can run. You won't embarrass yourself. Don't second guess yourself. You got this.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I ran track in high school, stopped for several years, and when I started back up again I couldn't run a qtr mile! I thought I was going to pass out lol. I couldn't even do a C25K....I would say I did a "modified C25K" back then just to get back into shape. Finally I was able to do a 5k, 10k, half and full marathon. This year I've run 3 half-marathons and routinely do 4-5 different races a year. Just go at your own pace and don't be afraid to walk....not sure why people feel you have to "run the whole thing" but if you do research you'll see that it can help and in fact you can have better times.

At my half in March I came in 1st in my age group so I was pretty happy! Just go at your own pace and have fun :)
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it!! And definitely sign up for that 5K! It will give you something to work towards, and if you really aren't ready by then, tons of people walk 5K's - no need to worry about that (of course, I encourage you to still try and run the whole thing if you can!).

I never did C25K, but I did start running for the first time in my life last summer, and I fell in love!! I used to always say I "hated" running, and never understood how people could run any sort of long distance. I had never ran more than 2 miles until a year ago. Now I'm training for a 17.1 mile mountain race in September and a marathon in January!!

You just have to take it slow, and your endurance will come!! Don't press speed too much - just focus on going at a nice easy pace - it's much more enjoyable that way anyways. You can do it!!!