Using the microwave for steaming veg

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
But also for other things. Is there a trick to getting it so things cook evenly?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Our machine has a rotating/ plate-thing spinning on the bottom.
    Even then, I still need to stop the machine halfway through to stir/ turn everything . . . . but that is because I always cook on high to get everything done fast.
    It is possible that one might not need to stop if one set it for a lower heat for a longer time.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Use a stove/hot plate/fire instead.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I wrap them in a bag with a few tblsp of water. That steams them more evenly and in a quicker time. The exception is swede, I just prick the outside of the skin and put it on for 30 minutes. It steams inside it's own skin and comes out mashed without using butter.
  • cgisme2014
    cgisme2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wrap them in a bag with a few tblsp of water. That steams them more evenly and in a quicker time. The exception is swede, I just prick the outside of the skin and put it on for 30 minutes. It steams inside it's own skin and comes out mashed without using butter.

Despite being an ex chef I had never heard of that and will give it a go. My favourite veg is swede and carrot cooked then chopped together with LOADS , a little butter and black pepper.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Even then, I still need to stop the machine halfway through to stir/ turn everything . . . . but that is because I always cook on high to get everything done fast.
    It is possible that one might not need to stop if one set it for a lower heat for a longer time.

I have *never* stopped to turn or mix things (and also use high heat, mostly because I can't figure out how to lower it on my old-school microwave). I'll try this, thank you.
    VisofSer wrote: »

Yeah I'm asking about microwaves, though, lol

Thanks for the tip! Paper or plastic?? Feel odd about using plastic in there. Still a little suspicious of this technology, however many decades on. Lol.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For a bag that's microwaveable, I just follow the bag instructions. Loose veggies, I do in a covered pyrex dish with a bit of water. Our microwave does have a revolving plate so that may make a difference.
  • tomatoey
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For a bag that's microwaveable, I just follow the bag instructions. Loose veggies, I do in a covered pyrex dish with a bit of water. Our microwave does have a revolving plate so that may make a difference.

Ah, the bag it came in (so plastic), ok. Thank you :)

Yeah mine does too, not sure why it's all wacky. It's old and cheap but not THAT old (like 5 years maybe?)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    cgisme2014 wrote: »

Despite being an ex chef I had never heard of that and will give it a go. My favourite veg is swede and carrot cooked then chopped together with LOADS , a little butter and black pepper.

I read this tip 10 years ago on a disability website, we all know how hard a swede is to prepare lol. It works so well, I'd never stand and peel/chop one again ever!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I have *never* stopped to turn or mix things (and also use high heat, mostly because I can't figure out how to lower it on my old-school microwave). I'll try this, thank you.
    VisofSer wrote: »

Yeah I'm asking about microwaves, though, lol

Thanks for the tip! Paper or plastic?? Feel odd about using plastic in there. Still a little suspicious of this technology, however many decades on. Lol.

Plastic, you can microwave plastic no problem. If they don't come in a bag place them in a plastic container with a touch of water and cover with cling film.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    I do not use plastic in the microwave.
    Paper or glass, yes.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Paper or glass, yes.

Aha.. some reading for me ahead :)
  • RodaRose
    Options
    I wondered what you guys were doing to the swedes so I googled!
    We call them Rutabagas,
    Do you really eat them?
    9jyblm7m7cu5.png
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have a shallow ceramic casserole dish that's microwave safe, and I use it alllll the time. I got a vented hard plastic cover that's made to be used in the microwave, so I don't use (waste) a ton of plastic wrap. Also I don't like the idea of plastic actually touching my food in the microwave.

I put food in the dish, add a bit of water, and steam my food that way. If you don't want the food to be sitting in the water, you can put a small bowl of water (very little, like a few tablespoons) under the lid with the food. It works for veggies, chicken breast, and fish with no problem. I don't use this method for beef or pork because it comes out with a weird texture.

Try steaming thick slices of fresh apple, or even frozen cherries or peaches - sprinkled with cinnamon. Warm fruit with cinnamon tastes like dessert without adding any extra calories.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Paper or glass, yes.

Aha.. some reading for me ahead :)

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/07/phthalates-dishwasher-microwave-plastic/398015/
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I actually bought a microwave steamer. Is plastic and has a rack in the bottom to hold the veg out of the water.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I use Sistema bowls in the microwave. They have a vent in the top and can be used in the freezer too. http://sistemaplastics.com/products/microwave/
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I don't know about vegetables but I read a lifehack that says if you want things to cook evenly put them in the shape of a doughnut because it's always the center that doesn't get cooked.
  • RodaRose
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't know about vegetables but I read a lifehack that says if you want things to cook evenly put them in the shape of a doughnut because it's always the center that doesn't get cooked.

Ahh. Thank you for that! :)
    http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/one-trick-you-need-use-when-microwaving-leftovers-0154117/
    yd4idu0fx128.png
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I use steam bags with a bit of water in them. My microwave has a turntable. Not sure about other plastic bags, so I just use these....9x22pr0o50cw.png

As for the rutabaga, I'll have to try that. I've only ever had them in stews and soups.

These are great!

3:30 for fresh green beans. I use these at work all the time.