Needing to slim down for 5k!

Options
Hey All! I have been doing my c25k for a bit and am on week 7 (2.5 mile run). Anyhow, I am able to do it, but I really feel like I am getting to that point where - in order to reach my goals - I may have to take a step "back" to take a step forward.

I am currently at 282 lbs. I know that is big, but I am down 75! I think if I can get closer to 250 by Oct/Nov I can hit my goal of doing this 5k in under 38 minutes. I am thinking of doing some different cardio and some fast walk 5k to keep my running endurance up. So here is what I need your guys' thoughts on:

Any particular exercises I should focus on to become a stronger runner? Is my thought process skewed in some way? What other cardio is good to not set me too far back in my running?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• csmezc
    csmezc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try some hill work or stairs.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My mom said bikram yoga helped her run faster because her muscles became stronger, but you definitely have to keep up with cardio to be able to do the run.

Color me impressed! I'm just hoping not to walk during my 5k. Anything under and hour sounds good to me just now!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I trained for a 10k last year and what I felt made me a stronger runner was having done the Chalene Extreme programme. Essentially lifting and core work I think it gave me more stamina for the longer runs.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Elliptical and bike are good cross training for runners. Also if you are not doing it throw in some sessions of strength & core, especially stuff for running e.g. Squats, lunges etc.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I have been doing some upper body and core work, however, besides for a few squats in my circuit work, I have been letting the running handle strengthening my legs. I hate squats and lunges (big guys get down there...hard time getting back up:blushing: ) However, I do know I need to do them to continue to strengthen myself for those runs!
  • DuckieSteph
    DuckieSteph Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Dude; you're a badass, you know that? I agree with everyone else on the cardio, stairs, weights and all that jazz, but still feel I need to comment to commend you on your ambition. Good for you!! :)
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks SC! Just working with what I got. Blessed to have decent lungs and a lil ambition. I try to use them the best I can :glasses: