In need of some -300 cal recipies!

Options
lowdog5
lowdog5 Posts: 33
Hey gang, Here’s my dilemma. I’m losing weight, which is great but now that my daily calorie count has dropped from 1,980 to 1,700 a day, I’m in dire need of some really good recipes that are at or below 300 calories. If you don’t mind…..I would totally appreciate it. And just let you know….There isn’t a food out there I don’t like…(Except Liver….YUK!!!)……  Thanks for the Help!!!

Replies

• Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken
    Servings: 8
    servings • Size: 1 cup •
    Calories: 190 • Fat: 1.5 g • Fiber: 5.6 g • Carbs: 23.1 g • Protein: 21 g

Ingredients:

24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
    14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
    15 oz can black beans
    8 oz frozen corn
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
    3 scallions, chopped
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
    salt to taste

Directions:

Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top.

Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning to taste. Serve over rice or tortillas and your favorite toppings.
  • lowdog5
    Options
    Sounds Yummy! I'm going to try this one!!!
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Most soups are generally around 250 calories - even the lazy "out of a can" ones.

One of my favourites is this Thai Chicken Noodle soup: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/soups/thai-chicken-noodle-soup/

With the ingredients I used, it came to 261 calories per serve, but yours might be different.
  • lowdog5
    Options
    Thanks Belinda.....I love soups too.....but normally they have 2 or 3 servings per can, No? And there is no way I can only eat half a can of soup......Although, Thanks for the input! :)
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mkwalk
    mkwalk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Some days I am really hungry and I just want a heaping portion of something - this always works for me, since quinoa made with chicken broth is the best.

1 cup quinoa
    2 cups chicken broth

(cook to package specifications)

while that is simmering, cut up:

1 zucchini
    1 bunch of asparagus (1 - 1 1/2'' lengths)
    4 cloves garlic

(spray a large frying pan with a small amount of olive or canola oil, cook all of the above till slightly underdone)

Mix everything together in the quinoa pan once the quinoa is about a minute away from being done. Divide into 3 servings, around 2 cups and 300 calories each.
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the things I make for my lunches (I usually keep my lunches to around 300 cals). There is a lot of variety for you.

Chicken Cordon Bleu - 225 calories

Beat the crap out of a 4 oz chicken breast with a meat tenderizer (I wrap with plastic wrap first as I can get crazy with the hammer)
    Dry fry in non stick pan with some seasoning (my fav is Cayenne pepper)
    top with one or two thin slices of swiss cheese and a couple slices of Hormel Natural Deli Ham

Serve with steamed veggies

Veggie Spaghetti - make your own to 300 cals

one serving high fiber pasta (2 oz for 180 calories)
    Spaghetti Sauce - I like to find the light ones or others that are around 45-60 calories per serving
    for the "meat" of the spaghetti, I use eggplant, zucchini, onion, black olives, mushrooms, and chopped stewed tomatoes

Manwich Sammich

Make the Manwich as directed using 93/7 ground turkey and serve on an 80 calorie (light) bun.
    If you use a full 1/4 of the meat/manwich mixture, your sandwich will be just short of 300 calories. This is a lot of topping for me personally though

Shrimp Cocktail

A bunch of shrimp and cocktail sauce!

Steak and Shrimp

Top sirloin steak, trimmed - 4 oz is about 225 calories
    3 oz shrimp - about 75 calories

Cold meat sandwich

Lots of lettuce, tomato, cucumber
    1 tbsp mayo
    2-4 slices Hormel Natural lunchmeat
    Pepperjack (my weakness) - or no cheese, if you can bear it, for less calories so you can allow some baked chips or raw veggies with light dressing to have with it
    Pickles! Gotta love 'em!
    2 slices light bread (80 calories)

Salads!

It is difficult for me to get a salad to 300 calories. I love using many of the Kraft dressings. They have several varieties of Light dressings that are delicious. Some of my favs are the Lite Asian Toasted Sesame (50 cals / 2 tbsp), Caesar Vinaigrette with Parmesan (70 cals / 2 tbsp), Lite Balsamic Vinaigrette (30 cals / 2 tbsp)
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    1. Buy 90% or 93% lean ground beef or hamburger patties. The patties are easiest because you dont have to weigh them out. They are either 170 calories or 190 calories depending on which beef you buy. I found lite hamburger buns in Pathmark that are only 80 calories. Season with whatever spices you like since they are usually zero calories. At most that burger is 270 calories. Add whatever toppings like onion, tomato, lettuce, etc.... Just dont go over board with ketchup or whatever condiment you like because thats what will kill your calories. My burgers are always below 300 calories.

My boyfriend claims to hate fat free or lite anything but he brags to anyone that he can how my burgers are the best he has tasted. (its all in the seasoning). He cant even tell taste wise that the buns are low-cal ( i never told him :tongue: ) and he still grabs loose ones to put butter on or dip in tomato sauce.

2. 2oz Pasta (200 calories), 1/4 cup tomato sauce (45 calories), 2 oz chicken cut up into chunks and grilled ( add whatever spices you like) (50 calories), add green veggie of your choice. I usually do 2 oz broccoli ( about 15 cal), 5 brussel sprouts (38 cal), etc... Its about 333 calories but still worth mentioning.

3. 4 oz lean steak of your choice ( usually 170-190 calories), corn on the cob (90 calories), 2-4 oz green veggies of your choice, also about 300 calories total

4. Quick meal: Campbells chunky soups in a can. they have filling ones with beans, rice, beef, chicken, etc.. whole can 280.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to jump in with a recommendation for that Santa Fe Chicken. I've made that same exact recipe a few times (I think it's from Skinnytaste.com, if I'm not mistaken) and it is excellent! One cup is definitely a sizeable and filling portion and I like to put it over rice.

I think you'll find a lot of good recipes on that website, actually. I have made several things from there and always been extremely pleased with how they turn out. And my boyfriend raves about them, too, which is only notable because he normally complains about stuff if I tell him it's a "skinny" version. She posts calorie counts and other nutritional information with all of her recipes, so it makes it really easy to know how much you're getting.
  • josyk7
    josyk7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rdahlquist42
    rdahlquist42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One thing to certainly be aware of with canned soups is merely the amount of sodium in each one. Some 'healthy' soups can still account for almost 40% of your daily sodium. YIKES! Remember, its not JUST about the calories.

One of my FAVORITE recipies is a spinach, feta, chicken burger. And it is so easy to make.
    Here is the recipe

One package ground chicken (I believe they are 8oz packs)
    1 cups chopped uncooked spinach
    1/2 cup feta cheese
    3 cloves of garlic (chopped)

All you do is mix all of the ingredients together, make into 3 equal sized patties (I usually cook one and freeze the other 2). I cook mine with coconut oil and season with itailian spices, salt and pepper. These come out to being about 200 calories each, so have a large side of vegetables or 1/2 a cup of brown rice to put you right about 100.
  • Metallis01
    Options
    Some really nice stuff here people. I'm new and appreciate the efforts.
  • Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The Progresso reduced sodium chicken noodle has 2 servings per can, but only 90 calories per serving. It still isn't exactly low sodium, 470 mg per serving, but it's better than typical canned soup.

So if you eat the entire can, you only wind up with 180 calories, 960 mg sodium.

My son likes soup, so I usually split a can and have an orowheat sandwich thin with a little bit of reduced sodium ham.
    I'm sure there are much healthier lunches, but it's quick, it isn't bad, I don't mind it, and it winds up under 300 calories for lunch.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to jump in with a recommendation for that Santa Fe Chicken. I've made that same exact recipe a few times (I think it's from Skinnytaste.com, if I'm not mistaken) and it is excellent! One cup is definitely a sizeable and filling portion and I like to put it over rice.

I think you'll find a lot of good recipes on that website, actually. I have made several things from there and always been extremely pleased with how they turn out. And my boyfriend raves about them, too, which is only notable because he normally complains about stuff if I tell him it's a "skinny" version. She posts calorie counts and other nutritional information with all of her recipes, so it makes it really easy to know how much you're getting.

Yes, that one is from Skinnytaste.com I thought I left that in when I copied it from my notebook but I see it was not, so thanks for adding that :smile: There are a lot of good recipes on that site.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    IMG_4052_zps3dd95460.jpg

Here is my own recipe and 303 calories!!! It is also low sodium if you are needing that as well :)

Serving Size: One 1/2 cup serving (Recipe makes two servings)

Calories: 303 Fat: 8g Carbs: 27g Protein: 32g Cholesterol: 73g Sodium: 105g

Ingredients:

one chicken breast

one garlic clove

Mrs. Dash lemon pepper (2 tsp)

1 cup bowtie pasta

1 cup artichoke hearts

(I used frozen from Trader Joes)

one large lemon

one cup baby arugula

2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

On medium heat, start cooking the pasta. In a small skillet at medium heat, start cooking chicken with 1 tsp olive oil. Top chicken with 1 tsp lemon pepper. Once chicken is almost cooked, chop garlic and add to skillet until golden brown. Once pasta is completely cooked, keep one 1/2 cup of reserved water from pot. Drain pasta but do not rinse. Add back to pot and add chicken, garlic, and artichoke. Mix and add reserved water. Mix again. Add in 1 tsp lemon pepper and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Mix. Serve with 1/2 cup fresh arugula. Salt and Pepper to taste.

The nutrition facts above do not have any added salt. The arugula will be eaten mixed in with the pasta to give added flavoring and to help you feel fuller.
  • katrien_girl
    Options
    Bump
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks Belinda.....I love soups too.....but normally they have 2 or 3 servings per can, No? And there is no way I can only eat half a can of soup......Although, Thanks for the input! :)

Hahaha. The cans I go for have two serves per can (500g) and I eat the full can which is 200-250 calories.

Better to make it yourself though :)
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    taco soup

20 servings of 1 cup

Lean Ground Beef 97%, 32 oz
    Onion, 2 yellow
    Pinto Beans Canned, 2 cans
    Kidney Beans 1 can
    Whole Kernel Corn 1 can
    Mexican Stewed Tomatoes, 1 can
    Diced Tomatoes, 1 can
    Diced Tomatoes With Green Chiles, 2 can
    Diced Green Chiles, 2 can
    Canned Sliced Black Olives, 1 can
    Old El Paso - Original - Taco Seasoning Mix Packet (28g)
    Hidden Valley - Original Ranch Salad Dressing and Dip Mix (1oz Packet)

brown ground beef, mix in onion and cook for a bit.
    mix all together and simmer until hot and bubbling
    about 200 cals per cup

Crockpot pepper steak
    32 oz round steak
    1 can Italian style stewed tomatoes
    3 tbsp tomato paste
    Red, orange, green bell pepper, 5 chopped
    Yellow onion 2 medium chopped
    Worcestershire sauce, 3 tsp
    Mix Worcestershire, tomatoes, tomato paste pour over steaks and top with pepper and onion.
    Cook on low 4-6 hours
    About 250 cals per serving/serves 8

Mashed cauliflower
    1 whole head cauliflower
    1 whole yellow onion chopped
    ½ can cheddar soup
    Boil cauliflower and onion until mushy
    Smash up and mix in the soup. Salt and pepper to taste
    About 100 cals per serving
    Serves 4

Crockpot chicken tacos
    16 oz chicken breast
    1 jar salsa
    1 packet taco seasoning
    Cook on low 6 hours and serve in mission carb balance whole wheat tortillas. Serves 10
    80 cals without tortilla or toppings
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    all the below serve 2

Bengali Fish curry - I used sea bass fillets but you can use any fish, just adjust cooking times, just over at 335 cals, tastes great

Tesco Fish Counter - Whole Sea Bass, 237.5 g
    360 Organic - Spice (Cayenne Pepper - Red), 0.25 tsp
    the Groovy Food Company - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 15 g
    Colman's - Dry Mustard Powder, 2.5 tsp
    Francuska - Mustard Seeds, 1 tbsp
    Generic - Black Mustard Seeds, 0.75 tsp
    Generic - Cumin Seeds, 0.75 tsp
    Onion - Whole, Medium Size, White, Raw, 1 whole
    Tesco - Green Chillies, 5 g
    Spices - Dried Whole Bay Leaf, 1 whole
    Generic - Organic Ground Turmeric, 0.5 tsp
    Spices - Garam Masala, 0.5 tsp
    Morrison's - Salad Tomatoes , 150 g (chopped roughly)
    melt the coconut oil, add onions and soften, and fry all the spices for a few mins till fragrant, add the tomatoes and 300ml water, simmer for 15 mins, add the fish whole or in chunks and cook until done (approx 5 mins if using fillets)

Vietnamese Sea bass 299 cals

sea bass fillets 250g
    ****ake mushrooms 100g
    oyster sauce 1 tbs
    fish sauce nam pla 15ml
    spring onions (scallions)
    chilli flakes (to taste)
    ginger
    garlic
    lime juice

mix all ingredients except the onions and mushrooms, fry the mushrooms in a little spray oil, add the fish fillets and cover with the wet mix and spring onions, bake in hot oven for 5 mins and serve

fish stew 301 cals

basa fillet 300g
    raw tiger prawns 120g
    tin tomatoes
    smoked paprika 1 tsp
    chipotle paste 1/2 tsp
    corgette (zuchini)
    red pepper
    garlic
    green pepper
    red onion

sweat the onion/pepper/garlic/corgette, add the chipotle paste and tin tomatoes, simmer for 15 mins, add the fish and cook until done (5/10 mins)

chicken Jalfrezi 313 cals

300g chicken breast
    white onion
    2 peppers red
    2 peppers green
    tin tomatoes
    green chillies
    garam masakla 1tsp
    cumin seed 1 tsp
    100 g fat free yoghurt

cook chicken , add spices and cook till fragrant, add tomatoes and simmer, meanwhile cook peppers/onions in a sperate pan and add to chicken mix when tender but still have a bit of bite, stir through yoghurt and serve

Peral barley and sweet potato salad 271 cals

2 med sweet potato
    100 g french beans
    175g peral barley
    small red onion
    1 tsp wholegrain mustard
    2 tsp honey
    1 red chilli
    1 garlic clove

fry onion/garlic in a little spray oil, cook peral barley according to packet instructions, cube sweet potato and boil until just tender, do likewise with green beans, mix honey/chilli/mustard together then add to the rest of the ingredients and serve warm or cold

Goat tagine 309 cals

tin tomatoes
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp ground ginger
    13 oz lean goat meat
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp harissa paste
    lamb stock cube
    lemon rind
    fresh coriander

add all to slow cooker (crock pot) and cook for 4/6 hrs, add frsh coriander before serving

I have loads more!!!