Knee hurts when working out!

Options
I have recently begun to do the Rockin' Body DVDs and every time I do it my knee hurts. My knee will continue to hurt into the next day and I have a job where I'm on my feet. It's discouraging to say the least. Suggestions I have gotten include taking fish oil, wearing a brace, and just waiting it out and hoping the knee strengthens. Will wearing a brace weaken the knee in the long term? Any suggestions would be great, I have lost 4 pounds since I started working out and would hate to stop due to this stupid knee!

Replies

• lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You may need to purchase new shoes especially if they're old.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    new shoes with good insoles
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of glucosamine, it's great for your joints. I recommend an organic one with no synthetics your body will absorb it better. If you'd like details on what I use personally feel free to inbox me. I've had bad knees ever since football in high school
  • rosa1v
    rosa1v Posts: 1
    Options
    Add tumeric to your food. It is a natural antiflamatory. :) It helps!
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Suggest:
    1. discuss w GP and/or sports physiotherapist
    2. do low-impact exercise i.e. avoid jumping/jogging
    3. avoid squats or any other exercise which bends the knee to 90 degrees whilst standing: very stressful for knee joint
    4. modify exercises which require you to twist (pivot on) the knee whilst standing: keep knee slightly bent in direction of feet (pointing forward) at all times
    5. most importantly: try to identify exercises that cause knee pain and avoid/modify them as above
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was given exercises for strengthening the knees from a PT where I work. You can find some online also. If it keeps up you might need more care but many times it's just the muscles around the knee. Don't jump or do a lot of high impact if it really hurts...and good sneakers cannot be stated enough...when I ran, I could tell when I needed a new pair at times because my knee would start to complain.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I got a sore ankle (which turned out to be a stress fracture) because i was running in bad shoes. Start there but it wont hurt to see your GP if its giving prolonged trouble.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    See a doctor...You don't want to do some long term irreversible damage.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I agree with everyone here! I have a bad knee as well and the other one acts up a little bit too. I would definitely talk to your Doctor about it, check your shoes you are using, and whilest at the Doctor, ask him/her about glucosamine. I have also noticed that with the addition of more protein (I wasn't getting enough before), my quad muscles have strengthened and caused less strain on my knees.

I also don't do much jumping with my workouts...I do Turbo Fire and there is a LOT of jumping in that...I just don't do the jumping. There are ALWAYS ways to modify a workout to exclude the jumping.

GOOD LUCK!!
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I've had minor knee problems, on and off, for years. I was told by a couple of physical therapists that pretty much all they can do is surgery or I live with it. It's not that bad so I live with it. I was told to strength my quads (like another poster mentioned) and of course make sure I have good shoes. Some bad hiking through the city and up 3 flights of stairs in old shoes really did my knees in a few years ago (also carrying an awkward art bag). I am careful about the shoe thing now and buy Dr. Scholes inserts (the kind where you stand on the machine) for my work shoes. They are totally worth the money! I stand all day when I'm instructing and it killed my knees when I first started.

For my quads I bike on a stationary bike with resistance. Elipticals are hit and miss for me, but there is one specific brand at one gym I go too (free one at work and I pay for gym with daycare for afterwork hours) that doesn't bug my knees at all. I am also doing yoga, though with care on some moves, to try and strengthen my legs overall and stretch them out (I've always had flexibility issues).
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You can find quad exercises online as well. I used to use the machine at the gym, but the "sitting wall slide" and others work at home. A physical therapist told me there are many exercises you can do without a gym to strengthen the knees, etc., you just have to be consistent and not overdo it.