Favourite workout when its raining?

I burn the majority of my energy through incidental exercise such as cycling, surfing or going running, since I enjoy being outdoors.
However, when it rains for a week straight my metabolism slows down for lack of intense exercise.
I find gyms fairly dull.
Thinking about joining a rock climbing gym because its fun, but expensive.
Any other suggestions? (other than workout DVD's - that would be ASKING for discouragement from my inactive parents whom I live with at the moment)

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Indoor climbing can be expensive. Depends what you do. You can do top-roping so all you need is a harness, shoes, carabiner and chalk (+bag) costing about £100 in total, or stick to indoor bouldering so you just need shoes and chalk. Then there's the entry fee which may be as little as £5 a session (which can last as long as your body can take it).

That said, stuff like running can be done in the rain with a decent jacket. Check out the Montane Featherlite range.

How about badminton? Racquet, shuttlecocks plus court hire.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    How about running or biking in the rain? Unless it's a monsoon or a hurricane (or a thunderstorm) there's no reason to stay indoors.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Go to fitnessblender.com. There are some great exercises on there!! Enjoy.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Do you live somewhere warm? Running in warm rain is delicious!

I vote squash, it can get pretty hardcore and if you can find a friend to play with it's fun too.
  • andreafischer1982
    andreafischer1982 Posts: 36 Member
    if the rain is not to heavy i love training runs in the rain!!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Getting sandbags or suspension trainers is killer.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    I like swimming, so long as there's not lightning, because I'm going to end up wet anyways. Other people don't tend to agree with my logic though.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    I love being in summer rain! I have to wear my contacts or I just can't see where I'm going but as long as it isn't too cold, there's no reason why you shouldn't go running in the rain
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Since you like things like surfing and think climbing might be fun, how about roller derby maybe for indoors activity that are physical without being the gym?
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    I don't change my workout when it's raining really. If it's light rain I'll still go out on my bike and if it's heavy I'll go for a walk.
    I have cycled in heavy rain (accidently, was stuck a mile from anywhere, looked like I'd showered with all my clothes on) but I prefer not to, mostly because my brakes don't work in rain that heavy.