Do you stuff your turkey?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    stuffing a turkey doesnt make sense to me really

seems to draw moisture from the meat, and in order to get the stuffing to proper temp, you would need to overcook the bird

cooking the stuffing/ dressing by itself is preferred (and it gets crispy on top which is awesome)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    stuffing a turkey doesnt make sense to me really

seems to draw moisture from the meat, and in order to get the stuffing to proper temp, you would need to overcook the bird

cooking the stuffing/ dressing by itself is preferred (and it gets crispy on top which is awesome)

i've never overcooked my bird...it's always perfect and awesomely juicy.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    and your stuffing gets up to 165?

that still doesnt matter though, cause its not crispy like i like

im a dressing guy, not a stuffing guy
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I make cornbread dressing & cook separately. In and around the bird I put onion, lemon, apple, celery & sage/rosemary/thyme.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Stuffing your bird with stuffing/dressing and trying to get it to all cook together is a recipe for food poisoning. The bird doesn't cook evenly and the stuffing doesn't get hot enough. I know, "but my mom/grammy/Auntie Joan has been making Thanksgiving that way for 127 years and no one ever got sick!!" Sure, but I'd hate for this to be the year. If you're hell-bent on stuffing in the bird, cook the two separately, and then put the stuffing in the bird while it rests (you are resting your bird before you serve it, right?). You'll get the presentation and a bit of the melded flavors with 98% less of the salmonella. While my turkey cooks, I stuff both cavities with onion, garlic, fennel, lemon, and fresh herbs, but those get discarded before serving.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Stuffing your bird with stuffing/dressing and trying to get it to all cook together is a recipe for food poisoning. The bird doesn't cook evenly and the stuffing doesn't get hot enough. I know, "but my mom/grammy/Auntie Joan has been making Thanksgiving that way for 127 years and no one ever got sick!!" Sure, but I'd hate for this to be the year. If you're hell-bent on stuffing in the bird, cook the two separately, and then put the stuffing in the bird while it rests (you are resting your bird before you serve it, right?). You'll get the presentation and a bit of the melded flavors with 98% less of the salmonella. While my turkey cooks, I stuff both cavities with onion, garlic, fennel, lemon, and fresh herbs, but those get discarded before serving.

You can just stick a meat thermometer in the centre of the stuffing and ensure it's cooked to 165F. Then there's no worry about anyone getting campylobacter or whatever...easy.

I cook some in the bird, some on the side, mix them so there's crispy bits and soft bits all together, and temp it to make sure it's reached a safe temperature.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I only stuffed my turkey to flavor the meat. Never ate it. I filled mine with carrots, onions and oranges. I put wine in the pan with it. The turkey was so moist when you pinched it, it dripped...
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

You can just stick a meat thermometer in the centre of the stuffing and ensure it's cooked to 165F. Then there's no worry about anyone getting campylobacter or whatever...easy.

I cook some in the bird, some on the side, mix them so there's crispy bits and soft bits all together, and temp it to make sure it's reached a safe temperature.

By the time your stuffing gets to 165 the turkey breast might as well be dust.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

By the time your stuffing gets to 165 the turkey breast might as well be dust.

I've never had that problem, but I brine. But hey, do whatever works for you.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

I have been stuffing my turkeys for 20 years and my mother for decades before me and hers decades before her. There has been 0% food poisoning. Just make sure the internal temperature is good, 20 minutes per pound stuffed at 325-350c and there won't be any risk. I always make extra stuffing and bake it separately but it just doesn't taste the same as in the bird.